Next Sequential Release

lol only 4 more months of waiting until we know

4 until it ships – we could know in 2 and have some very good idea before that.

I was thinking a drum machine!

4 Likes

i secretly selfishly hope it’s a brand new Prophet VS type synth haha. bring on the vector! Unlikely though

6 Likes

There’s also the new gear Tom Oberheim mentioned for release this year. Another collaboration with Sequential?
SEM sequencer module??? Dave does like his multiplex gated sequencers.

2 Likes

A drum machine… this is an interesting idea.

Maybe a sampling drum machine? Use some Prophet X technology in there?

Maybe… some sort of DFAM-type of device?

Maybe some sort of small format volca/OP-1 type of thing? Right now Sequential is lacking any sort of entry level device.

https://www.sequential.com/2020/06/tempest-is-retiring/

Okay, it’s a drum machine!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider this conclusive evidence. The Tempest is way old.

I think it is a safe bet. Fits the ‘different type of musician’ description and Tempest gets replaced after a long run.

2 Likes

Probably not conclusive but probably quite likely it is something somewhat similar… I almost wonder if they are going to do more of a groovebox, they’ve put quite a lot of work making the pro3 sequencer and if they made a polyphonic device with a sequencer like that it could be pretty interesting. But yeah pretty much every time sequential discontinues an item something new comes in its place. Pro2 to Pro3, Prophet 12 to Prophet X (they kept the P12 module because there will be no PX module) P08 to Rev2. But yeah still could be anything.

1 Like

Come ooooooooon you guys know it’s a drum machine! (Groovebox counts as drum machine :wink:)

My gut feeling is that it will be a Prophet X style groovebox. Analog filters and VCAs, samples, digital oscillators.

Maybe some sort of MPE controls if Roger Linn is involved.

I will say that I hope it is not a drum machine :slight_smile:

If it is I hope it is a Tempest 3.0 albeit decently priced.

It makes me sad that the Tempest never got the love it deserved regarding its development.

Beast of a machine, flawed yet extremely powerful if you dig its sound design capabilities…

There was a lot of work to get the tempest as good as it could be at the end. Roger Linn to his credit applied a lot of pressure to iron out the last few bugs, which were more or less totally squashed… Dave smiths team reacted by putting concerted effort into resolving all that could be.
It became clear that the memory was just totally maxed out and this proved the main limiting factor to any further improvements as I understand it.
I have one and it’s a great machine … With very few bugs of any description that I notice anyway.

1 Like

I sure hope It is something along these lines.

1 Like

Roger already gave quite a reveal in his bboy tech interview recently, even showing what the Linn 2 is gonna look like and talking about it.

2 Likes

Any news regarding this. I heard it being whispered that August might be the time for a reveal…

Who cares? You know they’re going to blow it, right? :wink:

Cheers!

Do we know for sure that their new product will be a drum machine?

I’m wondering if it’ll be any of the three things that Tom Oberheim was talking about late last year. So hoping for a budget OB-One :mage:

I don’t want it to be a drum machine. I mean, it’d just be a Tempest, but then again given the budget Rev2 and Pro3 standard, maybe a budget Drummer with sampling?

It’d be really cool if they made a sampler/drum machine using SSI2144 filters and digital/analog oscillators imo, but this is all just speculation still.