Newbie help! Thru Machines not sounding

Having a totally unrelated issue with thru machines ATM: having issues using the Enter/Yes button to initiate recording of audio via thru machines. I’ve seen Cenk use a similar scenario as described bellow.

A thru machine set up on track T1 and T5, with trigs placed on step one.

Running sound into inputs A+B and C+D. T1 configured for A+B / Vol +63 and T5 C+D / Vol +63 in the playback pages of both tracks. When it’s time to start recording, pressing Enter/Yes to arm the tracks and then again to record - a ‘+>’ sign appears to the left of each thru machine that is recording audio.

For whatever reason I can’t get my OT to record by pressing the Enter/Yes button. Is this something I’ve got to setup in the OT preferences or I can dive deeper to find? I know that I can individually initiate the recording of a Thru machine by pressing Track + Record/Setup, however is there a way to initiate recording of both Thru machines at the exact same time?

-m

The recorder on a track is nothing to do with the machine on the track … they’re separate , so just because you have a Thru machine on Track X and an ever present Recorder on Track X it doesn’t mean that recover is listening to the Thru Machine, you have to set this up in the recorder settings pages … it can be from three sources AB CD SRC3(various)

So you could capture the inputs to the Thru or the output of the Thru and you could play this buffer on another track

Okay - I think I understand what you are saying, but that still doesn’t answer why I can’t get ‘+>’ to the left of both T1 / T5 when I press Enter/Yes twice.

Also after having read what you said - I now have T1 set to A B with RLEN 16, and T5 to have C D with RLEN 16 in their respective Record/Setup pages.

I have a part 2 with T1 and T5 as Flex machines with their respective recording buffers R1 and R5, so I am listening to these buffers on another part/track.

I think your looking for one shot recorder trigs on the record tracks? Those are armed by pressing yes…

I’m looking to do this - at :24 seconds (repeated throughout the video) to arm and initiate recording into the recording buffers. You can see that ‘+>’ appears next to respective Thru tracks when Enter/Yes is pressed.

I gotta run so can’t watch the video, but if you go into the recoding setup and enter grid recording mode, you can place a one shot recorder trig on step one of the pattern, function+trig. If you do this for both record tracks with the proper recording setup, you can arm both of the by pressing enter/yes while not in grid recording mode…

1 Like

Again, this isn’t exactly what I am interested in here - I can do what you are describing already.

I’m trying to record into the buffer tracks via Thru machines when I press Enter/Yes to arm the tracks, and then Enter/Yes again to initiate recording. I know this is possible. I looked into the personalize page in System settings, but nothing in there seems to affect this - except for the disabling Yes/No arm box.

I don’t know then, this operation seems unfamiliar with me, or maybe I’m completely misunderstanding the question. As far as I know enter/yes doesn’t directly affect sampling, just arms recorder trigs. There is a quick record mode that allows you to sample inputs by only pressing audio rec in any mode or midi button while in record setup for track sampling…
That’s all from me then, interested to see what you find…

Watched the video, at 24 sec after pressing yes it shows “arm all”. They are using one shot recorder trigs…

1 Like

tbh, i didn’t fully read through the original question … replied too soon

You’ve emphasised that this is what you want to do … care to explain why you want it to be Two presses of Yes

To arm a Thru track (if there are no trigs on its track) you can do Track+Play/Stop to toggle its ‘active’ status … then you can do Track+Yes to arm the one shot recorder trig

The thru can be armed with Yes alone with that quick arm toggle set … I never use that setting tbh, then it’s just Track+Yes to arm recorder

There are a few more settings further down the personalize menu , including one for speedier recording … check p33 of manual, that may get you closer to what you are after - but I can’t see it being possible by Yes followed by Yes as you’ve emphasised in bold … that would imply some stacking of the commands, that could get confusing

sorry - quick reply, I haven’t tested

I am just trying to recreate what Cenk is doing in his demo with arming Thru machines and recording to buffers.

If you just watch at :23-:25 seconds you can see that ‘+>’ appears to the left of the respective Thru machines he has setup to record incoming audio to recording buffers, that lasts about 16 steps and then disappears.

I feel like I have everything setup properly, but I’m missing one minuscule thing here.

1 Like

Sure, that’s fine.

I’m beginning to think that this has something to do with OT operating system updates and their respective displays. For example when Cenk is on a Thru track, the OT display screen shows (video from mid 2013) -

Pt:1 Part 1
Thru

Where as my Thru track display shows:
Pt:1 One
Thru

Unless you can name parts, which I assume you can, and that is simply the system/naming convention for parts he’s working with.

Love this video. Always so inspiring.

BECAUSE I did not think to change parts using the arrows during play. Awesome.
EDIT: That sounds silly. I mean essentially what he does: on one pattern one part to record and another to mangle.

And I think this is what you’re looking for because he’s setup a one-shot recorder on the thru track, which has recorded the sequence, and then a little bit léater you notice he changes parts. With the part change the track then becomes a flex which is probably assigned to to the track recorder which then starts playing the reordered sequence (on which I believe he has a pre-sliced grid).

Good stuff.

1 Like

Yes exactly, I’m glad you also like the vid and find it inspiring.

But does anyone know why I can’t trigger Thru track recording by pressing Enter/Yes twice?

Once to arm, a second time to initiate recording to a buffer/ get the ‘+>’ sign to appear next to the respective Thru tracks, as seen in the vid posted above.

OH. Yeah I don’t know. I couldn’t find it in the manual. But I think your best bet is page 32 with pages 79 and 80.

Referenced the manual, but one shot trigs is not what I am interested in, as I want Thru machines trig’d to stream audio every time the 16 step measure repeats.

I’m also interested in having Flex tracks in Part 2 continuously play the recorded material from their assigned buffers, so a one shot trig on step one would not do this since One shot trigs just trig a sample or a track recorder only once.

Seriously, I don’t understand why no one with OT Thru machine experience isn’t helping out!

I feel like this is such a simple question. The manual is not helping and I’ve been obsessing over this for a few days now.

Is there anything I could clarify??? Or is this just getting annoying to look at, haha.

I’m seriously

lost on what exactly you’re looking to do.

The point to which you refer in video, he is arming a recording trig and the track is recording into the buffer. I cannot help you why pressing yes arms.

One only needs to trig a Thru track once to have it be playing always.

That’s not the way to get help going forward …

Why not express what you want to achieve rather than how you want to achieve it, i am not sure that saying you want to press yes yes is helpful, why come at it from that direction … the yes key isn’t even pressed twice at 24sec afaict

also you’re talking about thru machines in a way that suggests you are confusing concepts … thru machines are effect sends for inputs … the only thing that can go wrong is to forget to trig it, but once done as said, it’s done … machine assignments are nothing to do with recording on that track as I said