Newbie Easy Question

Hi all!

Just starting fresh from the Digitakt world and got myself a Digitone. As some of you may know, the Takt give you a “chromatic” mode button and you can switch on and off. My Tone feels like it’s chromatic mode is on by default and I don’t know how to turn it off. What am I missing here? Is it always supposed to be like that?

Thanks to all who answer!

You can select key (scale) if you press the button with a note synbol.

I think, yes. The difference is that DN is more a synth, than a drum machine and one-shots are not a priority as melodies and chords are. Also, you have specific buttons for the track selection. In DT if you want to trigger a track you just press it.
But you can always press the [rec] button.

1 Like

Are you finding that you can’t use numbered trigs to enter event positions into the sequencer while in the recording modes and you want to do that then go back and populate notes afterwards? Where are you specifically finding this to be a problem?

If you’re auditioning patches/sounds, it will be in chromatic mode by default.

Please see picture attached. see how the trigs are on the Takt? That’s what I’m use too. On the Tone it just feels like it’s always in “keyboard” mode. This is what I mean.

I understand that thank you but that’s not what my issue is.

the keyboard is always on, you need to select the track 1-4 and the keyboard will play chromatically or by scale (if you set it) for that track. it’s not like on DT that you hit a trig and it switches to the track

just slightly different workflow on the DN

Yeah that makes sense.

I’m not really auditioning anything. It’s just when I’m out of auditing mode it feels like it shouldn’t be in chromatic mode, but it always is unless I hit record. I guess that’s the norm for this device.

ahhhh ok, I’m so use to the workflow being like the DT I guess I’ll have to re-program my brain for this device.

1 Like

I think one of the reasons for this is that you can play keyboard and switch between tracks easily rather having all tracks play the root note like in DT, anyway I think you’ll get the hang of it quickly, it’s pretty intuitive once you spend some time with it

1 Like

Also, with the Digitone having ‘only’ 4 tracks it wouldn’t really make sense for its default view to be one-shot mode like the Digitakt (which has 8 sample tracks and 8 midi tracks).

Welcome, and enjoy the Digi’s!!

yeah very good point there and thank you!

1 Like