Newb to Elektron, First Buy Anxiety!

Cool, sounds like you have a clear idea of what you’re getting into! Now good luck finding a used DT. In „Europe“, they can be found for 450-550€.

1 Like

Also, if it helps, when it comes to grooveboxes and synths not only I experience pre-purchase anxiety, but typically also post-buy anxiety, remorse and guilt hahahahahahah. Same with pedals. Too much thinking ain’t no good, I’ve figured. Good luck!

1 Like

@Azzarole, you should know by now that this is a reccurent joke I do every time I can. :rofl:

For the OP, though, it was the right thing to write to avoid any confusion. Thank you!

3 Likes

…welcome…as a first electronic standalone hw device, especially if u have some musical background, is always a sampling device…

and dt is the most easiest and comforatble entrance into the whole elektron universe and also the most straight forward sturdy allrounder device out there to find…

instant sample snippets of whatever, single cycle waveform “pseudo” synthesis options and a flexible midi sequencer for whatever elso to come along…

real synth is next step…do the first, first…
and yes, cycles is cool, but it can’t catch up with the digis in serious fashion…
so find a 2nd hand dtakt, jam and create the hell out of it and after a while, next step is the exact same machine, just for all sorts of synthesis, the syntakt…these two, hand in hand, is all the hw fun it really needs…

1 Like

Elektron retain value, I can’t say I ever lost money selling an Elektron. You break even at least.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. I have owned samplers but didn’t use them much. To me, a synthesis-based box is much more useful as a first device. With that, you can start creating music without first having to hunt for sound sources to sample.

3 Likes

I agree. I needed an easy analog synth first to understand how the sound I like is made. Even things like envelopes are harder to understand with only a sampler imo, even if it’s a DT. But sounds like OP already has experience with hardware and synths, so not relevant here.

2 Likes

nice thread, Welcome UnkleKev

4 Likes

Thanks all, this forum is fantastic, I’m glad I found it.

9 Likes

If you can watch videos or try some Elektron gear out first that is the best bet. Have you considered the Rytm MK2 or Syntakt? Do you really need a sampler? Perhaps Octrack versus Digitakt? What is your budget like?

I’ve watched hours of reviews and demos on YouTube. Why are all their modules so good? :grimacing:

I’m leaning Digitakt as it means I’m not limited to synthesis, sample manipulation is second nature to me, and I have access to synthesis via iPad apps.

But as I already own the SPD SX Pro (not a sampler, no filters, but still flexible) I keep considering the benefits of the Syntakt for more creativity and sound creation.

That’s my choice I think, as I can’t really justify spending more.

I’m curious if anyone has paired the M:S with a Syntakt?

1 Like

I‘d say go with your gut here if you’re the sample person and buy a used DT. You sound like exactly the person this thing was built for. It’s probably easiest to find cheap and will be fast to sell without loss. You might get hooked on Elektron though and replace the Ipad with ST or DN later :nerd_face:. Or replace DT with OT. But that doesn’t matter now.

When I bought my M:C I was totally in love with it. So much fun.
In fact, so much fun that it inspired me to buy a Digitakt.

I have not turned the M:C on since.

I have bought a Syntakt since, though.

Make of that, what you will.

…sure…if u think samplers are only for “first i have to hunt for sound sources” u just don’t think outside of the box, musically…not to mention, dt comes with a nicely curated collection of sounds to get u anywhere for starters…while end of the day, ur totally right of course…at some point, it always needs a synth…

1 Like

Well, for me it’s so much easier to program the sounds I want on a synth, than to realize them with sampling. I’m not into musique concrete.