New Volca FM 6-Voice

Looking to get one as well; i prefer the old DX7 style FM over the Digitone’s FM for some reason.

Does this mean the Other Volcas are going to be upgraded? Hope so.

This makes it a lean mean tiny machine!

“Arctic. Power off.”

:pensive:

5 Likes

Volca FM2
Good

• “Program Random” - permutes the current patch with randomization
  • 64 patches (previously 32)
  • 1/8" MIDI in/out (previously DIN in only)
  • Reverb (previously metronome)
  • 6 voices of polyphony (previously 3)
  • Sample & Hold LFO glitch bug fixed, should be more compatible with OG DX7 patches
  • DX7 SYSEX compatibility improved: all operators turned on when loading OG DX7 patches.

Less Good

• Arp isn’t transmitted out the MIDI out
  • No DIN MIDI adapters included
11 Likes

WOW. That’s all I can say. Day 1 buy from me.

5 Likes

Seems like a decent update but the idea of youtubers having to make excited day one videos about what is essentially a polyphony update… well I hope they are getting paid.

11 Likes

pajen firmware likely wont work on the v2, and that makes me sad.

2 Likes

I wonder if this is a reaction to Behringer taking on the Volca Range and pretty much besting them.

I doubt it, mostly just seems like a fairly sensible update to fix some pretty annoying hardware shortcomings.

1 Like

Good news, but also typical Korg, nothing radical in V2 :slight_smile:

I did not have a chance to play a lot the original DX7, bu people often talk about some ‘magic’ in the original FM, and for me Volca has the same thing. Maybe differently, maybe with that strange ‘plastic’ color of Volca DACs, but still there is something really pleasant in Volca’s sound. Be it a sound illusion or not.

Unfortunately no changes in controls and for me it was the biggest stopper. It’s just pain to program anything useful…

Yeah, the lack of polyphony was a bummer for me, so I sold the first one. FM is meant to be played with proper keys to enjoy its full potential. Thankfully they added velocity sensitivity as well, so I will probably be getting this one as well…

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s just where my head was at at the time, but I actually prefer programming sounds on the DX7 to the Volca.

At that price though, I’ll probably get another one at some point.

1 Like

Do we know the price? Nevermind, I’ll surely get another one too.

Korg volca FM will be available in May 2022 for a price of 189€ including VAT

So only about a million in Canadian right?

Some synth website, so not necessarily from the horse’s mouth.

2 Likes

those infuencers need even more bizarre facial expressions before i’ll consider listening to their brain noise.
loopop seemed to cover everything.

regarding volca’s… i bought a few, i sold them … after the initial ‘fun’ i never used them.

11 Likes

I will have to work at least 20 years to get one. Do I still have 20 years left?

3 Likes

I wish synth companies frequently made more obvious yet useful upgrades to their synths like this. With that said the volcafm is 10 years old… they couldn’t eek out a bit more patch memory and polyphony? I do think the vfm sounds great though.

2 Likes

Loopop has the best facial expressions imho.

22 Likes