New to MnM - where to start?

Seriously. Read the Monomachine Love thread. It has loads of tricks and tips. I think there is also a tricks and tips thread. These are the things I read when I get a new machine and I’m full of anticipation.

I’m not sure I’ve seen that one. Thank you.

Put the Dist to -4 to -8 to start, everything will sound better after that :wink:

3 Likes

also have a look at tracks routing, it makes the MM an even more versatile machine; congrats for the choice :smiley_cat:

yep, there is:

…or straight into this

1 Like

Me too. I leant my MnM to a friend, because I was out of town and I wanted him to experience it. But I love it dearly… and every time I go back and read those threads I remember stuff I forgot. The OT and the MnM are endless for me.

Lots of helpful Monomachine tips being shared and friendly producers on this discord server I’m an admin for! https://discord.gg/6hCnhatA

Also I have two genre-specific (PC Music, SOPHIE-like) tutorials on my YouTube channel that have been getting some major love lately, so should you love that type of abrasive sound design maybe my videos will help!

2 Likes

Cosign what Human_Koala said.

Nah, best of both - it’ll still appreciate with slightly gnarly knobs/buttons/screen :wink:

OK - I am IN LOVE!
I knew that the unit does not provide Trig Conditions. Options for defining a note length would have been great - but hey: It is was it is - an awesome machine. I was surprised in a positive way , that workflow is soo similar to MD. Exploring all the options and machines will be endless .

Thanks Elektron!
Honestly - MNM // MD as MK II or reissue with updated sequencer capabilities would be the most powerful machines ever…

4 Likes

congrats, enjoy and have fun with it

…definitely :smiley_cat:

Probably the most important day one tip.
Turn the Dist down, Vol up, then you can start playing around with high resonance or really boosting with the EQ.

Other things I’ve found useful:
#1 is to remember you can turn filter tracking off, it’s on by default.

#2 is try the wave packs for the digi machine on elektron.se

#3 is negative Delay values will give you stereo effects

#4 is parameter slides only happen between plocked values, so if you want to slide from/to the default value, lock it.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Especially #4 was new to my (should work also for p-locked pitches, I guess? - aka 303 slide?)

Note (sequencer) pitch isn’t considered a parameter on the Monomachine but you can p-lock the PORT (portamento time) parameter.

2 Likes

Just remembered the talk of ADSR time values being like:

4=1/16th note, 8=2/16th note, etc.

1 16th note also can be thought of as one trig long

1 Like

You don’t need to use slides or plocked portamento for this, you can just set portamento to whatever value you like and then make it so it only triggers on legato notes. Then in the sequencer, turn off the ENV and LFO triggers for the notes you want to slide to.

1 Like

DigiPro user waveforms are amazing!

Use BeatBox for crazy IDM drums…

Thanks! That’s good to know - so the time value mentioned above refers to sustain in the amp section?

Cheers!

1 Like

MnM does not use ADSR amp envelopes. It has a HOLD value which defines the length of time that the amp is held open, after the attack portion and before the decay portion. The HOLD value effectively determines how long the note is, well, held (how long it sounds for).

You can either use HOLD to control how long notes are or you can leave it on a high value and use note off trigs (FUNC+trig in grid recording mode, the trig will light yellow) to control when the end of the HOLD phase triggers. If you live record using a midi keyboard you will see the note off trigs being added automatically when you lift a key.

4 Likes

the link to the monomachine discord server I posted ended, but it’s starting to grow into a bit of a community! Almost 40+ people in it rn. To not spam this thread this will be the last time I post about, but I highly recommend ppl new to the instrument or just have an unabashed love for it think about joining! https://discord.gg/rJKRgG8v