New to AR MK2: Help to understand how the compressor works

Unity gain is around 22/23, it is in negative when below. Seems an odd value, 27 would make more sense….

First thing I do when I may a new kit is put it at 23.

would be nice if it was a bi-directional dial from -27 to 0 and 0 to 120 or something!

5 Likes

I found that post really helpful, too. However, I struggle with the Attack stage:

Now start tweaking the Attack control and listen to the attack of the transients on the kicks, snares, bassline, arpeggios or whatever. You should be able to find a nice spot where it really lets the transients thwap through whilst clamping down on everything else. Use your ears. Where does it sound best? Less snap and more smash = shorter Attack, more snap and less smash = longer attack. I can usually find a sweet spot very quickly. I usually err on the side of a little too short rather than a little too long. Don’t touch the Attack again, leave it, you are done there

With the ratio high and threshold low, I struggle to hear any transients at all for half the Attack dial, and then at the setting where I hear transients, the attack is so long, I’m hearing most of the sustain and release phases too.

Turning up make-up helps a little, but it shouldn’t.

Anyone else find this?

I really hope for a rewrite of the compressor. It’s unusable. /rant

The compressor is fully analog, so a rewrite would mean a new physical board (e.g. MK3).

The grey boxes in the diagram in the manual are analog:

3 Likes

the controls are 100% digital. The numbers and limits are the problem … I don’t know. The UI is unusable. Better? It needs to become intuitive. I don’t want to look up specific numbers every time I wanna use it.

3 Likes

I had a similar confusion when I got my Rytm. I posted about it here.

1 Like

Ah! Sorry, misunderstood you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, better units, a gain indicator and other UI enhancements would be nice.!

2 Likes

Another reason why I feel like there’s an update coming. The DT compressor deals with it a bit better already.

1 Like

for which param are you talking about? the comp volume? the incoming signal = outgoing when vol is at 23? how did you test that?
so if i have it always cranked what does it mean then?

I think the previous post referred to the make-up gain (MUP) parameter.

Yes, make up gain or MUP

@Ibiza keep in mind that you can also use the individual outs (which are actually paired) at the same time as using the stereo L/R out. So if you’re using a mixer you can fiddle around with those individual out levels (in the external mixer) to further build up a voice if the compressor isn’t in the Goldilocks zone.

1 Like

Hi Elektronauts,

Thank you all for the replies🙏🏻 Sooooo, as far as I can tell this compressor is a bit of headache, uh? Well here is my takeaway:

• For some reason Elektron removed the gain reduction meter from AR Mark II’s screen. The real question is WHY. Did they provided a good technical reason for this very odd decision? Will they ever “stick it back in” or is completely out of the question? I feel at the very least they could add proper metering(with actual DBs values) into OB.

• Make up unity gain is around 9 o’clock. Duh, why didn’t I think of that sooner😂

• Threshold control is basically useless if the signal is “going in too hot”. Compression is happening (by a significant amount) even with the threshold set fully clockwise. That explains why I could hear a shocking -10dB volume drop with the threshold at minimum… This one is a first. I’d really like to know the reason behind this (again odd) design choice and how to gain stage the mixbus properly so it doesn’t trigger the overly sensitive threshold.

• Finally, I dig the aggressive character of the compressor but I have to agree with some of the earlier comments. It absolutely smashes the transients with the mix set at 100%(yeah even with the slowest attack settings). I find a parallel 40~60% mix to be the limit if you want to preserve the punch of the drums.

Please let me know your thoughts on my findings. Hopefully we’ll be able to figure out this beast together🤘🏻

1 Like

That’s a really good point Skurdd. When was the last major rytm OS? Over a year ago? I think are busy cooking something big…

1 Like

Really hope so! I find it hard to use the compressor on most tracks. It’s difficult to dial in subtle compression.

One trick I do often use is parameter lock the compressor volume to the fx track with trigless trigs and some parameter sliding to create fake sidechaining…

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea Maxek. A simple :infinity: mark at unity (along with the gain reduction meter back) will go along way to make this compressor much more useful! I hope the developers at looking at this forums every now and then;)

I don’t think the AR compressor is any more or less difficult than any other compressor. It’s just different. They all have quirks and take time to learn… Compression is hard enough to master in itself regardless of which model you’re using.

1 Like

Digitakt’s compressor is intuitive … I didn’t need the manual or the forum to dial in values that work. It just worked.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give that one a go some day.

1 Like

Would be nice if we just get that UI for all other boxes as well … with the Sidechain function – would be awesome for A4 + DN