New Roland AIRA/Boutique instruments 9.09

I’m guessing this is part of the “DJ” side of the Roland releases… https://serato.com/roland

1 Like

It is worth it for the mute switches and the 32 step patterns alone but goes well beyond that.

I bought one of the test 606s from the social entropy forum so the cpu was already installed. Didn’t even have to get my hands dirty

2 Likes

So it seems some kind of new 909 has been mentioned by Junior Sanchez on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjOqcsgWP4/

id suspect a new 909 could have some analog voices, maybe sampling - possibly a new “groovebox”…

the MC-909 was probly the highest end one they ever made… dont forget, Roland invented the term “groovebox” for the MC series

1 Like

If they’re gonna be boutiques, I imagine they’ll be like the former boutiques, mostly faithful circuit modelled recreations with the occasional upgrade thrown in.

I can only imagine the 808 is on the horizon too.

So you reckon these will be digital then?

I am kinda hoping the 9 would be analog, but if it’s gonna be boutique-sized, it probably won’t be… So tanzmaus it will be for me then for my 909 fix

Already have a xoxbox with MarOS for my teebee fix, so the 303 will only interest me if it’s analog AND has a full MIDI implementation.

Still hoping 9 will be analog tho!

Was thinking that, then I thought about the Volcas - no reason it’s not possible because of the form factor. Speculation on Muffs that they’ll be SMD analog (whatever that means). Time will tell, but given that they’ve already got relatively recent and very competent digital models on the market in the TR8 and TB3, it would make no sense to me for these not to be analogue.

1 Like

The volcas are the modern x0x’es in my world (cheap, underrated “toy” boxes that will inspire new generations like the OG x0x’es once did)

SMD is wonderful, I really wish the wigglers have got it right!

SMD is a term for Surface Mount Design where very small discrete components (super tiny resistors, transistors etc) are mounted directly on a board, everything today is built in SMD format except for DIY kits.
I really doubt they recreated analog versions. There is no sense since all they need to do is just make a smaller package and a new devices are ready for customers.

1 Like

I thought SMD = Surface Mount Design?

And if they’re digital, they’d just mirror Aira TR8 and TB3 functionality?

Yes, SMD = Surface Mount Design.

Take a look at the teardown videos, everything is already small inside because they’re digital. It’s easy job to fit current TR/TB into smaller case.

My guess is 5x TR and 1 TB-3 boutiques, 300USD each. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Highly doubt they would be analog. The circuit modelling is so good and so much cheaper to produce.
These likely all use basically the same hardware, all they have to do is swap out the software + interface.

1 Like

With all due respect, IMO Roland’s circuit modelling is far from perfect. Always hated the TR8 for example, doesn’t sound like 808 nor 909 to me (frustratingly close perhaps but no cigar). The sweet spots on the controls are also alot fewer than with the OG boxes, and the accent behaviour on hihats is lacking.

1 Like

If a company can’t model their own product do I need a punchline?

1 Like

Well, to be fair, I’ve never heard any software dev nail the 808/909 sound either. Many have tried…

Model for the Boutique Juno is spot on imho.

The thing with any modelled (non original) is that there are settings that don’t match somewhere along the line but a user who did not have enough access to or ever use said original would never notice or care about.

In my experience and to my ears the TR8 TB3 in particular sound nothing like the originals.
I couldn’t comment on the Boutique range as I have no comparison, but it’s Roland and it’s now so it is insignificant to me.
Good luck to anyone who enjoys them but it’s painful to watch a company die over and over.
And over.

And over again.

I’ve been more excited for hospital results than anything Roland could ever release nowadays.

But again, good luck to anyone who enjoys their products, knock yourself out…

1 Like

…and thread devolves into analog vs. digital debate :joy:

1 Like

Not really, though - some people think the ACB stuff sounds good, some don’t. Question of taste innit.

To be fair, the most important thing with models isn’t 100% accuracy to the originals, but sounding and feeling good in its own right.

Fwiw, I know a couple of guys who sold original TRs to replace them with TR8s because they felt like their setup didn’t suffer too much for the swap.

Granted, I always find it weird how tough people are on Roland, it’s like the fact that they lucked in on house and techno with a couple of boxes meant for one man bands has created unrealistic expectations or something. Anyway, each to their own, although from a business standpoint, it seems like Roland is doing just fine.

Speaking of which, though, I’ll have to start agreeing with you if they release Boutique 303/909s that are basically cut down TB3/TR8s, anything other than analogue for these new ones makes no sense, seeing as they’ve already done modelled versions of both.

1 Like

Personally, I think the ACB tech shines more on the JX-03/JP-08 than it does the Aira TR-8/TB-3.

Not necessarily in terms of clone performance, but just sonic pleasure.
I admit this is entirely subjective.