New PUSH 3 MPE, Standalone option...out now!

I’m curious to see if PUSH 3 could act as a reliable midi clock with external hardware. Any feedback from the tests yet?

1 Like

Yeah I’m hoping there should be a fair amount of parity as they are largely the same design aside from a few extra buttons and MPE. Nothing in Push 3 interests me really in terms of an upgrade, I don’t make music which really benefits from MPE.

All the Push UI rendering happens on your computer and it just sends rendered frames over to the Push, so there’s no technical reason for them to gate most functionality unless it relies on eg the jog wheel.

Of course, there are business reasons to do this but with Ableton making a big deal out of sustainability etc. it would be a bit cynical.

It’s an SSD.

You don’t play these on a bus. You play these from your couch or live at a show. The same reason people run their other synths off power banks or power portable power stations. Having the option doesn’t mean you have to use it, but for people who make use of it having the option exist is better than not having it at all.

14 Likes

MPE slides are all well and good but can it do stepped glissando like the mighty CS-01?!

1 Like

Oh man what a wonderful thing to wake up to! If only it weren’t already out of stock, lol.

I’m with @Encephalitislerthargi this is going to destroy my current setup. I was already neglecting most of my hardware thanks to bitwig, and this is exactly what I was waiting for to go fully ITB.

2 Likes

I think your Maschine 3 & script move looks pretty solid chief. My gas would go in that direction at the mo with used prices of Maschine in the “pretty decent” territory.

I have to say the big thing about this for me is replaceable components. It was well beyond time companies allowed you to actually keep what you paid for, and this looks like a very positive step in that direction. I know a lot of people kept their push 1 and those are fairly old now. So buying a device that allows upgrades makes this look like a machine you’ll assess in decades not years.

It is an interesting proposition, although one of the main issues with Push 2 was more quality of life based, where people used to say that despite all the toys you get in a Push, they would end up using mouse & keys anyway. So if there are any workflow enhancements in that department (I spy a proper jog wheel) then that could make it interesting.

1 Like

Please tell me the browsing experience from the Push controller is better.

I’m petty. Browsing for me sucks on the Push.

When loading samples to an instrument, if I leave the browsing screen and return, it takes me all the way back to the highest level folder. That forces me to dive back down into what could be multiple folders to replace a sample. Workflow killer for me.

What makes other groove boxes work for me is the browsing experience

2 Likes

Whoa.

Regardless if this is for you or not.

Being able to upgrade the components. Wow.

It’s amazing that Ableton has made this.

Truly amazing.

6 Likes

Whoever thought of the concept of an ‘upgrade kit’ rather than having two different models deserves a pat on the back!

A real hark back to older hardware like MPCs where you could make upgrades to what you had.

9 Likes

Hold up… am i getting ahead of myself?

The push3lite, in combination with my Macbook air, modular and Machinedrum is all I need?

Its almost to good to be true. I can ditch, my interface, my digitakt, I could even ditch my multiclock, though i feel ill need it in the future.

I love how it brings all that functionality in one.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it uses an NVMe so speed won’t be an issue. You can see it on the Upgrade Kit pictures on their site.

1 Like

Stimming mentions briefly that it gets very very hot during use on the panel on the base that houses the compute card, given this is ventless, and fanless, and using an Intel CPU that runs hot (11th gen 10nm), and looking at the upgrade kit photos on the ableton site, it looks like the lithium battery sits directly on the compute heat sink panel, if it runs that hot, then that is going to significantly affect battery life and health.

Hopefully, Intel will continue to make newer compute cards to swap out, I wasnt able to find a 13th gen, but there is a 12th gen i3 coming up in searches.

I’m curious for someone to try an off the shelf compute card to see if that just slots in, as they cost around $400, would just need to source a battery and hope ableton offer the OS download on their website.

I really like the look of this, but it seems unfinished, in much the same was as Maschine+ was at launch.

5 Likes

maybe you can upgrade without the battery, that would be nice too

Hey Ableton,

If you’re in the mood for more ‘upgrade kits’ then what about taking a leaf from Akai’s legacy products.

Maybe more hands-on knobs for control or additional effects in a bolt-on addition :wink:

12 Likes

It’s not LITERALLY what EVERYONE has been asking for. Not by a long shot. And my M1 MBA was half that price. I understand you’re excited and I get it but, pull back on the hyperbole just a bit.

11 Likes

I really think the modularity of this thing is a smart move. If I can customise my machine and repair it, that will be a gamechanger. Lets hope they also open it up as much as possible software wise, so it really should be no problem for developers to bring things linke opal to the unit and get access to the controll scheme and design their UI stuff for the Unit. Then we are talking.

1 Like

Actually I was thinking that’s where the arrangement screen could go :thinking:

4 Likes

Since the Upgrade Kit seems to be only Processor, Ram, ssd and Battery it theoretically should work with other parts without chaning firmware, or am I wrong?

1 Like

Wait till you see the inevitable array of ‘YouTuber in the Wilderness’ over the next couple of months.

2hrs will give enough time to be able to grab the Push 3 from my studio and take it elsewhere (remote gear somewhere else, sofa, dining table, the garden, etc) with minimum fuss. I imagine I’ll use it how I use my MPC Live 2, but have a much higher likelihood of that time being productive/constructive with the Push 3.

2 Likes

It seems a bit limited on the song writing side. I’m hearing early reviews saying that anything along those lines, you need to switch to the computer.

Not sure what this means in practice, though. This is all very overwhelming still for a non-Ableton user.