New power by USB looks cool

This might allow us to take our gizmos outside😎

6 Likes

Perfect! I hope these can be powered by a computer USB port! I’d love to be able to transport just a laptop and a OB enabled box for a portable mini-hardware studio

For Elektrons that aren’t Model:Samples, don’t get your hopes up.

The 12v is Max 750mA which isn’t enough.

And the 6V is max 1.5A (OT MK1 needs 3A)

5 Likes

I have some of these from a different brand a few years ago, as @AdamJay says they won’t be suitable for use with Elektron gear.

4 Likes

Yep, nothing new about that and far too less current output to power an OTmk2 or A4 (both require 2A/12V).

Even if it would be possible to power a larger Elektron device from a laptop USB port it would drain its battery very quickly.

@avantronica thx for the edit :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AdamJay on one hand thanks for the information

On the other: Aw Rats!

1 Like

Science wins again.

5 Likes

One day I’LL win and science can take that L :rage::rage::rage::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

They’re late to the party. With USB-C, you can has 60WATTS of power. That’s what we need.

Sadly, ripcord kickstarter is also nearing completion… no USB-C there either.

O well, it will be just a matter of time. USB-C tech is bound to become very cheap in the near future.

My bad. Should have read the details.

2 Likes

Its good that alternatives to ripcord are surfacing. More manufs working at this means there is a market.

1 Like

Nö nö…it must be fake News. The earth must be flat.

Good News, fellow Nauts.

Have had some E-Mail ping pong with the xtpower support about why the do not release a power bank with 6V output. Likely this will not happen, BUT: They are releasing a 12-to-6V stepdown cable that packs whopping 3Amps, so every power bank with 12V DC Barrel will be able to power your OT1, MD, MM on the go. Normal DC Barrel 2.1/5.5mm.

The cable will be available in 6 to 8 weeks for less than 20€. Will keep you updated as soon as I get more info.

2 Likes

Opportunity for elektron to release USBC cables with the proper barrel

Any news on the release of this cable?
Couldn’t find anything on their website.

I just dropped them a line, will keep you updated when I get a reply.

2 Likes

Just an FYI here, I’ve been running my OT MKII for months, alongside a Virus TI Snow, both off a 20000mah usb power pack, both with crappy Chinese 5v USB -> 12v DC 750mA adapter cables that were like £7 each on Amazon. I’ve had absolutely no problems at all.

wow, the TI doesn’t draw a lot of power, but the OT sureley does. usually 25W+, not only the 9W these cables usually provide.

have a link to one? would give it a try.

Surprised elektron havent released a battery for their gear. Id imagine it would be a good seller.

Just using one of these. Works a treat. It’s been the sole power source for my OT since I got it a few months ago.

2 Likes