OP-1 field

Iā€™m guessing (I didnā€™t flag) the window on price/company criticism has closed and people are becoming a little bit more strict about whatā€™s considered ā€œoff-topicā€.

1 Like

Indeed, I think at some point itā€™s starting to get a bit annoying and ridiculous.

If someone agrees with the price being so pretentious, please like every single post that says it already. Donā€™t miss one, please.
Or get creative with a YT comment. On YT, though.

Bringing something new to the debate is perfectly ok here.

6 Likes

I must have hit a nerve hereā€¦

Positive rage storms are brewing here :sweat_smile:

Or none, as any hollow remark would.
Donā€™t take it too personally, youā€™re just #500.

But if youā€™re asked to cease adding pointless comments, weā€™ll, why wouldnā€™t you?

5 Likes

:joy: I love how heated (and a little entitledā€¦) some can get over the price of a musical instrument.

Youā€™d probably get less outrage over the cost of a loaf of bread hitting Ā£5 or whatever :joy:

5 Likes

A loaf of bread hitting Ā£5 is inflation spitting you in the face!

Remember inflation!? we were once fans of yours, but now Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll ever buy a loaf of bread again!!

1 Like

Ha! Can only imagine how brutal the cost of living is going to be in 12 months time but that definitely is for another thread!

But to close off my point, as much as I agree with those citing the price of the OP1F as a problem itā€™s still the cost of a completely voluntary purchase. If you donā€™t feel there is worth then move on. Crying about the price of a product that is almost certainly going to still sell out and be on back orders for months is just wasting your own valuable time and sanity.

7 Likes

TE have created a precision and coveted product here thatā€™s not a cheap plastic box as in Roland , Korg , behringer etc, youā€™re paying for a premium product and the price is what it is. TE could charge a Ā£1000 for this but then they would probably go bust !!

1 Like

Iā€™ve always wanted one since seeing this all them years ago :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

I was searching for that video last night and couldnt find itšŸ˜ƒ

1 Like

@xidnpnlss

Iā€™m in the garden again. Wallet in my pocket!

1 Like

I did a quick shootout of the 4 tape modes. Video in the link below. Also, discovered that only what is recorded into the tape is affected by the mode. If you lift/drop from one tape mode to the other the recording will have the character of whichever mode it was recorded with. Could be used creatively maybe!

12 Likes

Thanks for posting this! My brain is so used to hearing mono when seeing a single track playing on the op-1 that I went into immediate disbelief mode when hearing the stereo audio in your video :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I know, right! And this was just something I recorded in via USB. When you actually record 4 separate stereo tracks it sounds really good!

Also this combo is great :grin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdj52X7g39m/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

Canā€™t believe that with this new OP-1F and the massive cost of it, that you still canā€™t sequence more than one soundā€¦

1 Like

Want to sequence more than one sound? Get an OPZ.

Thatā€™s one of the things that made perfect sense to me as soon as I started using the original - itā€™s all centered around the tape model and committing sections to a recording. Itā€™s a really smart design move that provides a huge amount of the deviceā€™s ā€˜characterā€™. Itā€™s one of the few aspects Iā€™d have considered locked in for any revision.

Typing that (for some reason) Iā€™ve realised whatā€™s really missing here (for me) is an equivalent to the performance FX on the OP-Z and POs. I assume the Tape Tricks are still there, but something like the PO-33ā€™s effects that you could perform over a sequence and record to tape would be a great addition. It wouldnā€™t swing me towards a purchase, but Iā€™d feel happier for everyone who did buy one.

4 Likes

@NickD beat me to it with his reply. Being able to sequence more sounds simultaneously wouldnā€™t really add any substantial benefits to the whole workflow of the op-1 based around the tape. Maybe if you want to sequence it externally via midi it would be kind of useful but there you would be missing exactly what make the op-1 so special (to me at least).
Itā€™s a bit like asking why the analog heat doesnā€™t have 37 weighted piano keys at its price point. They just wouldnā€™t add anything useful to its workflow.

1 Like