MOTU Ultralite MK5

I got mine a week or 2 ago, had some issues crop up with all the bottom inputs on the rear being finicky. Got another from Amazon yesterday. Works great with my iPad. I also have it hooked up via ADAT to my 18i20 on my computer and it’s working great. So far, so good!

So out of interest what exactly was happening that it needed returning ?

The whole rear row of inputs. Would occasionally cut out and I had to jiggle the cable a bit. I’m wondering if the board was loose as it seems weird that it’d be the whole row, but I just sent it back and got a new one since I need it Friday for a gig.

1 Like

Control a computer connected MOTU Ultralite Mk5 wirelessly via Cuemix5 on an iPad …

Yes We Can …

iPad and Mac should be on the same WiFi network
Establish the IP address of your MAC
Hook up the MOTU to your Mac … (or PC presumably)
Start Cuemix5 on iPad
In the splash-screen IP connect field enter the following
where your IP is swapped in for the 10.0.0.0 placeholder

10.0.0.0:1281

i.e. your Macintosh IP / colon / 1281 (no spaces)

2 Likes

just FYI, all the newer generations stuff does this. The other interfaces just don’t use cuemix.
Cuemix is a standalone app on the ipad. UltraliteAVB, 828es, etc…these use a browser based approach.

okay yeah, but evidently this specific info for the Ultralite Gen 5 isn’t easily located anywhere and certainly not in the manual or even on the App itself

I’ve only had the og firewire Ultralite from release, so there’s no reason I (or others) would account for what MOTU do on other devices specifically marketed as ‘network’ devices and fathom this out somehow, it’s understood it’s not novel per se, but it just isn’t documented to my knowledge (got this from MOTU after asking) and i had expected/hoped that this config would be doable as i had no interest in using a device like that as an iOS soundcard

to be fair - even retrospectively googling

ultralite mk5 "1281"

gives no results (yet !)

so i appreciate this functionality isn’t a revelation (i’d just assumed it would be doable), but sharing the specifics may still be useful to a few others, especially as the app and device will initially self-create IP address entries that are not related to the computer IP you’d need for that specific hook-up scenario, let alone knowing that a particular port number is also needed

long term i hope there will be other paths to control it (some of it at least) wirelessly whether by midi/sysex/osc/browser - not too keen on iPad reliance

Original cuemix was midi learnable, dunno about 5
Browser stuff is osc

And documentation isn’t MOTU’s forte for sure. I think I accidentally got a certification looking this stuff up:

2 Likes

Hello! Is it correct that the mixer is only for analog i/o? Because I’ve got Motu UL5 today and was not able to listen on phones mix anything from any other channel. In my DAW i have 1 track sent to 1-2 and another to 3-4. And when I’m pulling up 3-4 on phones mix, there is no audio.

Scroll over in the mixer and see if you have levels coming in on USB.
That’s my guess.

I have a MOTU UL MK5 and mix USB audio from my DAW and analog gear

yes i can see it there

1 Like

but nothing on 3-4. I kind of managed it by using cable going from 3-4 out to 3-4 in. And it worked. but still annoying.

Hmmm… that should be working. What levels do you have in the output section?

something around -5db. So you say, that i can do that without any cables? Also, i just updated the firmware on Motu, and now my iPad can’t see it with a direct USB connection. I’m a lucky guy. And mainly i want to use it with iPad. But i did tests on PC\Mac\iOS and it is the same results across all systems.

@inkie are you sure there isnt a matching ios app update in the app store for that firmware?

nope, last update is 2 month ago on appstore

it’ll be less annoying if you set
Mix USB Channels
to
Additional

3 Likes

oh, that is something i missed, i will try! Hope i will be less annoyed haha. Thanks!

1 Like

Bless you! It Worked!

2 Likes

But CueMix on ipad is not working with direct connection. And i have latest version of cuemix and motu firmware.

wrote to support, will see.

UPD: okay, i need to wait until the update, here is the reply from support.

1 Like

Well that seems like it’s gonna blow. Wonder if you have auto update apps turned on, it’s gonna break your box that way as well until it’s firmware is updated.