MOTU Ultralite MK5

Still tempted by mk5 . I still get issues with mk3 version connecting to Windows. I always need to “repair driver” then its fine for that session.

Hows mk5 with Windows these days?

These boxes do so much internal routing, and sometimes effects, I’ve never understood why they don’t support midi input to directly control parameters, that would make them perfect compact boxes, a big thing in a rack with the cables and a small controller on the desk with one cable.

4 Likes

I got one right after launch. It’s great on MacOS but I’ve never gotten it to work with my iPhone. MOTU support was not helpful at all. It’s pretty solid and I can run all my hardware without a computer, standalone- which is how I use it most of the time. EDIT: Just wanted to add- it’s very easy to use external audio effects in Ableton Live and the I/O plugin in Logic Pro with it. I can send audio to Microcosm and Field Kits and bring it back in (as Returns in Live) easily. Routing is nice and the software that controls it is easy to use. Also has loopback to sample from computer or livestream. But again, it has never worked with my iPhone SE.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m also in the same boat as you and hoping the MK5 will solve these problems I always seem to have. What’s the repair driver method you mentioned? I’ve not read about that one before.

Cant remember exactly what windows calls it.

I just go into sound settings, test audio device ,choose to let windows play test tones, then when i cant hear these test tones I click cant hear anything and windows repairs the driver n restarts… Now im fine for THIS session.

I have to do this 90% of times. Getting annoying now after a yr or 2

aw that’s too bad, that method never seems to work for me! usually a restart of the hardware or sometimes the whole PC is the only thing that works for me.

1 Like

Dunno if anybody else has been waiting on this for a few months, but it seems to be back in stock at Thomann now. Glad it’s finally on its way!

I’ve been waiting so long, I don’t know if I want it any more!

Haha! So true. My setup has actually mutated a bit in the meantime so it’s not as crucial any more.
I thought I’d just keep the order in, and will return if it’s an extravagance.

It seems to be available in American retailers too:

2 Likes

The mk5 I ordered in March showed up Saturday (yesterday) morning. Great surprise!
I haven’t had any of the Windows driver issues that others have mentioned yet (I’m on W10). Will keep this thread updated if any issues arise, but so far rock solid

3 Likes

this is wonderful news about the driver issues, i hope it stays that way so that i can buy one for myself!

Does anyone know if the latest MOTU Ultraliite Mk5 “batch” comes with the same ESS chip?

Why do you think it might not still use it though, afaict they aren’t advertising any changes and the site still says it does, it wouldn’t really be something i’d expect of MOTU, except perhaps if improvements were necessary or a less pivotal component was not available … i doubt anyone will open theirs up, seems safe to assume no changes (or ask them directly)

1 Like

There’s not too much clarity in my mind if the Mk5 can be connected to your Mac via USB-C but controlled by an iPad wirelessly using Cuemix5 (where the IP address is configured) - i know the Cuemix5 on ipad works connected via cable and the mac app will too - but an iPad seems like a better control surface when connecting a computer to the Mk5

Is this something that can even be done

The manual suggests that IP address is only used by Windows and iOS for some comms, perhaps due to its hardware implementation being a USB/Ethernet type device

So is it wired only or is there some user-leverage-able utility from this IP address ?

1 Like

I got mine a week or 2 ago, had some issues crop up with all the bottom inputs on the rear being finicky. Got another from Amazon yesterday. Works great with my iPad. I also have it hooked up via ADAT to my 18i20 on my computer and it’s working great. So far, so good!

So out of interest what exactly was happening that it needed returning ?

The whole rear row of inputs. Would occasionally cut out and I had to jiggle the cable a bit. I’m wondering if the board was loose as it seems weird that it’d be the whole row, but I just sent it back and got a new one since I need it Friday for a gig.

1 Like

Control a computer connected MOTU Ultralite Mk5 wirelessly via Cuemix5 on an iPad …

Yes We Can …

iPad and Mac should be on the same WiFi network
Establish the IP address of your MAC
Hook up the MOTU to your Mac … (or PC presumably)
Start Cuemix5 on iPad
In the splash-screen IP connect field enter the following
where your IP is swapped in for the 10.0.0.0 placeholder

10.0.0.0:1281

i.e. your Macintosh IP / colon / 1281 (no spaces)

2 Likes

just FYI, all the newer generations stuff does this. The other interfaces just don’t use cuemix.
Cuemix is a standalone app on the ipad. UltraliteAVB, 828es, etc…these use a browser based approach.