New Machines for your machine

omg I am used to ignore the “CY” and “SY” prefix and never saw the “CB” facepalm

4 Likes

You got 2 new square oscs for free ! More a narrow pulse btw, not sure you’ll be able to do huge kicks with it…:content:

2 Likes

Maybe not huge, but it’s somewhat possible! First is T12 solo, then routed through FX track’s drive and then with FX track’s high pass filter.

Also with the metallic one:

7 Likes

Where is my cowbell ?
More cowbells ! :content:

1 Like

With MD cow bells only (and a couple voice samples) I did this track:

OK, ST bells might not shine as much as MD’s, but we have a challenge ^^

7 Likes

Other Cowbell challenge organised by @darenager.
OT Science Lab - 1 year study - 11 - More Cowbell :cb:

Octatrack, from a cowbell sample only.

(kick)

(song)

5 Likes

Ah …memories…

2 Likes

So ST is just a synthesizer with a sequencer. No need to write Drum Computer on it. :content:

5 Likes

Start by lowering the decay on the SYN page, DEC2.

1 Like

Really hope that there will come more soul from the MD to the ST

3 Likes

I think you are using the term from a more technical standpoint. Colloquially “synth” means minimoog, basstation, prophet-5, etc. “Drum machine” (or maybe “drum computer” in Elektron-speak) means 808, 909, Linndrum, etc. I.e. I would never refer to an 808 as a “synth” even though it is one. Although I would refer to my collection of noise makers as “my synthesizers” :thinking:

We’d better be careful or soon we’ll be discussing “is a sampler a synth” and “is a hotdog a sandwich”.

5 Likes

I’d like to go on the record with yes and yes.

5 Likes

It’s a burger.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

1 Like

There is no reverse envelope so to speak for the syntakt ? I.e. when i want reverse clap, hat, etc ? (Ok i could make long attack phases, but on a tempest, the actual sound gets inverted.) (Also for the analog part of its sound.)

From tempest manual

Reverse causes Sounds—even completely analog, non-sample-based Sounds—to
play in reverse by reversing the envelopes.

I wonder if it deals with transients correctly. Would it still do the ca-lap of a clap but at the end?

I think with ST you will have to stick with p-locking the attack/decay to achieve a reverse effect. The best reverse effect is going to come from devices that can sample IMO.

I understand the confusion, but yes, the term is used from a technical standpoint. You may not ever refer the 808 as a synth, but technically it is a drum synthesizer.

Anyways, my intention was not to steer the discussion away from the new machines. I just thought I’d mention this detail because I see in the comments that people don’t associate drum and synthesis together, while in fact, in the Syntakt case at least, they relate. It could have only produced drum oriented synthesis and the word “synthesis” in the tagline would still hold up - from a technical standpoint.

6 Likes

Cool metallic Snare!

The reverse effect was /is very convincing on the Tempest, but i cant tell how complex it was to generate it, maybe inversing all envelopses was enough.

Absolutely right, but I think most of people associate synths with melodic gear with keys…

Not my case, I even made drums with Analog Heat !
Analog Heat : Drum synthesis and sequencing

Btw, is AH a synthesizer ? :content:

1 Like