New iOS sequencer app: cykle - beta testers wanted

i’ve been lurking here for a while, and i hope this doesn’t come off as spam. if so, please feel free to remove this post.

i’m looking for beta testers for a new iOS music app I’m developing, called cykle. a video demo can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/331405700. the public Testflight link is here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/EAyichGs.

cykle is a generative step sequencer app for iOS. it’s based around the idea of sequencing various musical parameters independently (e.g., pitch, velocity, duration, step length). thus, cykle allows complex musical phrases to emerge from simple constituents. it was originally conceived as a sequencer to drive other sound generating apps and devices, but it also has an internal synth.

bug- and crashreports, feature requests and general feedback are welcome.

in terms of features, the following is already on the roadmap:

1.0 release:

• help/tutorial section
  • saving and loading patterns
  • configure internal synth (e.g, waveform) per channel
  • configure MIDI (channel, cc number) per channel
  • additional sequence types (e.g., transpose, chance)
  • ability add and remove sequences on a channel
  • prettier app icon

1.1 upgrade:

• AUv3
  • Audiobus and IAA support
  • sequence pitches with MIDI note input

later on:

• receive MIDI clock
  • universal (i.e., iPad) version version

happy easter!

5 Likes

Always interested in a good AUv3 sequencer. But I see a iPhone screen ratio, no iPad landscape. Is that correct?

1 Like

I’m not at home or with headphones right now, but I use both iPad and iPhone for making music all the time.
I’ll check it out when I get the chance

not yet. it’s still in proof-of-concept phase, i’m planning on adding both AUv3 and iPad support soon.

2 Likes

Looks really nice, I only have iPad but will sign up anyway and wait for that feature to be added.

as an iPhone-only app it will run on an iPad in scaled format

2 Likes

No worries, I have it added in testflight but not installed it.
I will test it later on tonight

I know, but only at portrait mode I pressume? Not very handy with a smart cover.

yep, i agree there should be an iPad version that supports landscape mode and there will be. I meant just in response to @BoBSwanS - you can currently test the app even if you only have an iPad.

3 Likes

Synth doesn’t appear to work on my phone? Interesting sequencer. Wish there were more scales to choose from

This is really cool! You’ve even got Link and MIDI sync.

I also like the key change feature. Can I modulate the key using the sequencer?

(The synth is working on my iPhone 8+, iOS 12.3 beta)

Hehe I just spent 10 minutes getting lost in it, and it was really nice :):slight_smile:

My unasked-for wish list:

• the delay/verb to be send-style so that I can hear tails
  • when I drag the sequence dragbar thing, they forget their values when I shorten them and make them longer again, and I think they should remember

Edited: sorry I rushed in and didn’t read your roadmap first! Removed two things.

1 Like

i realized there’s a bug in this version where the synth is turned off by default. switching ‘synth enabled’ off and then back on in the settings screen should do the trick.

will definitely add more scales.

3 Likes

i was planning a transposition (by scale degree) lane, but modulating by related keys might be more useful - meta-sequencing! :slight_smile:

wish lists are very welcome :wink:

3 Likes

Given that you’re posting this on Elektronauts, I’d expect you to be prepared for a lot of feature requests :smiley:

Custom scales would be cool. Maybe also some sort of modulation effect for elements of the sequencer

1 Like
5 Likes

How’s this coming on? No beta installed anymore :fearful:

the beta expired. i’m currently finishing up the release version. will post here when it’s released!

7 Likes

Generative sequencers are relevant to my interests… :thinking:

Hi cp3!

I would like to enter your betatester programm.
mr.concrete@gmx.de works for testflight.

would love to test your sequencer.
looks very promising.

salut

bo