New guitar music

I imagine most people here gravitate towards electronic stuff (as I do), but curious if anyone has listened to any particularly great new guitar-based music in the past few years?

I ask because for the last two days I’ve been listening to the new Cindy Lee album on repeat and it has to be the best guitar-centric music I have heard in over a solid decade. My musical background is in this kind of thing, since I was a teen, and I’ve feared that maybe I’d just become an old fogey who can’t get into whatever new band people tell me is great, whether it’s Wednesday or Black Midi or whatever. But nothing has taken me aback as much as this album has, it’s unbelievably good.

Curious if anyone else has heard it, or what other kinds of newish bands anyone here has been listening to.

9 Likes

The new Mount Kimbie album has lots of guitar and is great
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k4z4sb9ByJplLUlOPP64NI7yC1zNIAs-U&si=En3Eyjhteae1FPjy

4 Likes

I’m super into the latest Deafheaven album. Their other releases are pretty intense black metal with a shoegaze/post-rock influence, but this album was a switch to melodic vocals with much more emphasis on the shoegaze side. It’s gorgeous and I can’t get enough of it.

5 Likes

There is one particular king gizzard performance that I listened to a lot, as well as one from the messthetics. I come from a guitar playing background as well so if I hear something good I get pretty interested for about five minutes but honestly the amount of music I listen to in general is not very much these days.

I like a lot more hip hop (from the 90’s lol) than guitar music at this point too but regardless there are a couple other guitar-centric bands where I don’t know much about the band but there’s a song or two I enjoy. Tiny moving parts “medicine” which is pretty good, also I recently found out about Covet who make pretty good instrumental math rock but mostly my interest was sparked by some youtube videos of the guitarist Yvette Young who has a really innovative style that impressed me.

4 Likes

Crack Cloud, Novel, Sub, also Echolalia by Yves Tumor has a great basssound in it.

But im going to go with Nilufer Yanya’s PAINLESS album.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcAkUFC5wToZASTTx-lOgkdZ98vvG1PwA&si=1aOVJbSvpvshhloy

Don’t know if this qualifies but it’s already a classic

1 Like

I’m not interested in genre or what I’m supposed to think is cool. With that in mind, here’s some NEW guitar music (released in the 2020s)…

3 Likes

i like this

i didn’t think i was going to like this coz i roll my eyes at 90s twee, but it is nice (and the C programming book cameo made me crack up)

another one that i didn’t think i was gonna like coz i roll my eyes at retro LA vamp rock whateveryoucallit, but this is fun

La Luz is back!

…and so is Chastity Belt!

This has been my fav song of the year so far. “I know it’s not my fault, but then it is, but then it’s not, but then it is…” fuck…

I’m on a boy-guitar-energy fast, but sometimes I indulge

2 Likes

This Deafheaven is hitting the spot. I haven’t listened to them since the old days you mentioned and this album is definitely more my speed.

I forgot about Boris also! Great stuff in this thread.

Not “new” stylistically but we saw a newer artist Hayden Pedigo a few months ago. For when you need to transport yourself:

1 Like

Wow ok Mr too good for genre

lol jk

One of the greatest live music experiences of my life was seeing Boris in Brooklyn, fall of 2007 during their Pink tour—I was 19, it was the loudest thing I’d ever heard in my life at the time, full body chills, made me cry. Haven’t listened to them in ages, thanks for sharing.

I mean, Khruangbin

3 Likes

Hayden Pedigo did a Tiny Desk recently and it’s great:

1 Like

They are awesome!

2 Likes

I’m all over the place in terms of music I like, and definitely listen to a lot of guitar-oriented music, but for new music that’s primarily in the form of metal, particularly technical or progressive stuff. I guess I’m not sure if this is strictly what you meant, but I think this is definitely guitar-first music for the most part.

2 Likes

The most recent Alvvays album has some great guitars on it. This track has a MBV meets Teenage Fanclub kind of vibe without sinking into generic 90s copycat pastiche.

2 Likes

I’ve been really into A Place to Bury Strangers.
Not only is it uniquely guitar centric, he builds/modifies all the gear dramatically.
Plus their live sets are mind blowing.
Nothing like the OP, but if you’re into exploring guitar sounds APTBS!

1 Like

Glad to see a post about new guitar-centric music! :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ve just released an album with my alternative rock project Doom Generator: OG guitar, bass, drums and vocals music inspired by stoner, grunge, hard rock, alt metal and a bit of Zeppelin’s vibe.
Hope you enjoy, thanks for the opportunity to share.

If you want you can see the video of our debut single here

Not new perhaps, but Kikagaku Moyo is pretty cool.

You can get a taste for the guitarist’s taste in effects here.

While not specifically a guitar album, I love the guitar tones on the new Liam Bailey album from a couple of months ago. Sort of lofi reggae tones.

1 Like