New gear soon and unsure how to link it all

So I own a digitakt and digitone but have been saving to buy a neutron and keylab61 mk2. Linking the midi I hopefully will manage with, but the audio I’m trying to find the best way. It would all go to my PC via a scarlett 2i2 or if I’m not using the PC just headphones from the digitone. So if my digitakt audio passes through my digitone then to the scarlett do I then have to buy a mixer if I want to connect the neutron? Or is there another way?

2 Likes

What about Digitakt hard planned left and Neutron hard panned right into the Digitone L / R inputs? You would be missing stereo fx because the units are running mono at that point, but it’s an option.

1 Like

Ah good idea, thanks. Yes it’s not ideal but would work. I suppose any effects I put on the neutron would also go on the digitakt as well? It’s a shame audio can’t go through digitakt the same as the digitone

1 Like

If you use the Digitone’s fx on the inputs, then Yes, both the Neutron and the Digitakt will receive the same FX treatment.

I don’t own a Digitakt, but can’t you pass audio through that as well? If that’s possible you could go Neutron -> Digitone -> Digitakt -> Scarlett 2i2 , since Digitakt is higher in the chain, it receives no Digitone FX.

Or what about Neutron -> Digitone -> Scarlett 2i2
And Digitakt -> computer through Overbridge VST
That might be a possibility? Then you may be able to multitrack better (extra track) and keep the Takt fx stereo.

1 Like

A small mixer is a very worthwhile investment, you’ll always find use for it.
Something like a Mackie Mix8 will set you back only US$90.

5 Likes

All very good ideas. I’ll have to give overbridge a try. I’ll check out that mixer as well. As you mention I could use the monitor function on the digitakt to receive audio and that gives me all the effects for the neutron but sums the digitone to mono but probably better that way than having the digitakt in mono

1 Like

I would put the digitakt in monitor mode and send the neutron output to the digitakt inputs, then digitakt to digitone.

3 Likes

Agreed. Or an interface with more inputs is a worthy investment…

1 Like

I was looking at a new interface such as the 4i4 but it’s quite a lot more than say a mixer as mentioned earlier. Would it have many more benefits as apposed to just going mixer out to interface in?

Individual stems as opposed to a 2ch mix.

1 Like

+1 for recording multiple stems simultaneously

I just sold my Yamaha mg10xu mixer and replaced it with a Motu Ultralite mk3 interface for this reason. It’s so much more helpful having individual stems recorded into my daw. With a mixer, if you only record a 2 channel stereo mix, you better get your mix perfect before recording it, otherwise it could be hard to fix.

Also, an interface is usually going to have a much smaller footprint, so if stressed for space, you may want one instead of a larger mixer.

1 Like

You could use Overbridge and then you could plug your Neutron into your Digitakt and monitor it and feed it to its own track in your DAW. Also, it will already be plugged in for sampling purposes- which, if you’re not already doing that, THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I’d like to keep it as simple as I can so the interface would be ideal. For sure I’ll be sampling the neutron but I was hoping to use digitone effects on it when not sampling so if I went neutron to digitone to digitakt I could use it to sample also get the effects of digitone, I know the digitakt sums to mono so its either lose stereo on digitone or lose effects on neutron. I’ll try get overbridge going for digitakt and use one of the above methods when not using PC.

The Digitakt and Digitone are their own sound card with USB. Connect those via USB and just plug the Neutron audio into your interface. Then use your DAW as a mixer.

1 Like

I didn’t know you could use more than one sound card at once which is great. Thanks everyone for all the help and ideas.

1 Like

You can’t, but Overbridge circumvents this as the plug-in covers using your Elektron boxes as a sound card instead of a system defined one

Also I believe you can route audio back into the boxes for further processing- so you could use your Digitone fx as a send effect

With a Mac you can create an aggregate device which is a combination of all inputs and outputs connected to your computer. Does PC not have this utility?

1 Like

Windows does not have that function.

1 Like