New audio interface sounds like shoite

Nowadays, LOL. My pc is kinda old and so am I. I’m running windows 7, 64 bit with a Biostar N68S3+ motherboard. The latest drivers for that soundcard were last updated in 2012 but work fine.

1 Like

Don’t desktop motherboards still have at least one PCI slot for NiCs?

Perhaps you could run Win98 from within some sort of VM or hyper-v instance.

?

What are your thoughts on the Quantum 2626?

I have one and I think it sounds amazing. But this is only the 2nd interface/Soundcard I’ve ever owned or used.

At the risk of stating the obvious, were any issues related to balanced/unbalanced in/out and gain staging ruled out?
I wouldn’t have thought that differences between kit in would have been huge.

It’s definitely solid and the real time tracking due to USB-C is excellent. It sounds better than the TASCAM mixer I had, that’s for sure. I don’t think I can do mixers because the sound quality I seek is out of my range, probably thousands of dollars in mixer form. Versus the Audient, I haven’t A/B’d yet, haven’t felt compelled to!

Most “sound quality” issues arise when you’re recording more acoustically nuanced things like vocals and guitars, drums, etc… It does make a different for synths but it doesn’t seem to be as large. For synths usually they just seem to sound different I guess, for vocals, they can sound better or worse, like it’s easier to pick which you’d prefer.

1 Like

@DIV1NITAL

Not directly related to this thread but i wondered if you’d be willing to test something for me.

I’ve reported this to Presonus but interested to see if this affects you or anyone else.

If i go onto Juno.co.uk & plays track clips my Q2626 freezes/crashes & then my Mac restarts. This happens everytime. It takes between 5 - 10 mins for it to happen but it always does. I don’t have any thing connected to the Mac except for the Q2626. I’m not running any software, just Google Chrome. I’m running BigSur 11.4

No worries if you don’t want to test this, but just thought i’d put it out there.

Cheers!

Get an RME interface mate.

3 Likes