New Analog Keys owner, impressions and questions (aftertouch issue)

Hello all,

I recently bought a used Analog Keys, and I’ve been having a blast with this instrument. The amount of options for sound editing & routing are really impressive. The sequencer is a blast, and though there are aspects that I’d prefer were different, once I accept the workflow it is plenty capable.

The oscillators have a very musical quality to them, and the dual filters + overdrive offer sooo much sculpting potential. I feel like I have a machine that I can keep exploring for years (if my eyes continue to allow me to read that lil screen, haha).

I do have some issues/questions, and wondered if anyone has answers here:
The biggest one is aftertouch… it appears that the built-in keybed is only measuring aftertouch to about 25%. That is, when I am in the Sound > Settings > Aftertouch menu, where the graphic for the ‘level’ knob is showing me the amount of modulation applied, I never see it turn past about 25%. The sonic effects seem to mimic this, I can only get a fraction of the effect even with full pressure.
(video here: Dropbox - 20231121_050213.mp4 - Simplify your life)
Has anyone experienced this? Any way to resolve?

If I do end up having to open the machine up to repair it, that brings me to a few other questions:
I wish the keyboard springs/resistance was a bit lighter… and I wish the joystick had a bit more resistance. Has anyone managed to swap out the springs on these elements?

Thanks all, and happy music making.

I can’t say for sure because it’s a matter of feel, but I think the AT loosens up a bit as you use it over time. It also requires quite a bit of force to get full extension- enough that I was nervous to use it for a while.

1 Like

@brisket thanks for the reply. In my case, I’m pretty sure I am pressing down as hard as possible (I definitely feel the aftertouch ‘travel’ after the normal key range).

Do you know if your on-screen indicator in the Sound > Settings > Aftertouch page goes to 100% when you fully engage aftertouch? That’s what I would expect to happen… but maybe I’m wrong!

I just tested this - when I push a key hard enough for the aftertouch to engage and continue pushing until it bottoms out the AT indicator goes all the way to the lower right side on my AK. You need to press hard enough that the back of the key lifts up a little.

1 Like

@obscurerobot thanks, I figured that was the case. I’m definitely pressing enough for the aftertouch, so it must be some kind of hardware/software issue. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing, or ever replaced the aftertouch channel. Till then, I’ll await a response from Elektron support.

1 Like