Nektar Pacer MIDI foot controller w/ OctaTrack preset

I am going to sell my McMillen 12 step because midi expander crapped out. Will be nice to midi direct out of the pedal. That an Octatrack templates have me interested.

I am not going to wait reviews, will preorder next week :smile:

UPDATE
Still did not get it, DFAM took over my wallet. Utility gear like this (non soundsource/effect) is always more difficult to spend money on. Could be too bulky for my purpose too, no need for DAW control, just a need for handsfree OT looping.

@justin3am

Hi,

Is the Pacer out in the wild? I see it is available at the retailers but these are all preorders I guess? There are no reviews, demo’s and infomercials to be found at the moment.

Keep us posted please :wink:

Wait a minute, did you say this footcontroller supports MMC command sending?!

If so, I could use this to gain overdub/punch functionality via footswitch for my MPC live. I was very bummed to find out that Akai dropped the footswitch support from the live model, and have been looking for a hasslefree way to trig overdub via MMC for some time now. Very interestring!

EDIT: Too bad, too big for my needs. Back to the drawing board…

Yes, the second batch of units was shipped to dealers at the end of June. Dealers have just been selling through them faster than we can keep them stocked. From our perspective, it’s a good problem to have. :wink:

The first review I found was this one: http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/reviewed-nektar-pacer-midi-daw-footswitch-controller

@tsutek
Yes, Pacer’s preset D5 is configured to transmit MMC commands. You can also customize presets so that some controls send MMC messages while others send CCs (or a single control can send MMC messages and other MIDI messages at the same time). I haven’t tested it with the MPC Live but if it’s specs say that it responds to MMC, Pacer should be able to control it.

Not sure what the specs say on that, but Dan from Akai said the live supports overdub/punch function via MMC. I need to test this with some software before I invest in a hardware solution however.

I guess you will not be making a half-sized version of this pedal in the future? :wink: I could totally live with having only about half of the controls…

A test/review! In German.

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/nektar-pacer-test.html

Hi, did anybody try the Pacer? How does it compare to the Soleman MIDI Foot Controller?

Besides I saw there is a webfront which can be used to configure the Pacer here https://francoisgeorgy.github.io/pacer-editor/#/

@AndreN et al Do you think the nektar pacer can send real-time messages? It has an octatrack preset “Elektron Octatrack Pickup Machine: Navigate tracks and control Looper.” I have a question submitted to their support.

https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-footswitch-controller/

I’ve not developed an electronic live show, just the singer-songwriter thing these days. But I’m considering it! All my music is on all the music places, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube using my name Sam VanLaningham…and SoundCloud has some of the newer rytm dominated stuff:)

Yes. You can read more about it in its own topic:

Edit: apparently not! See below.

1 Like

Yeah good stuff @PeterHanes but there’s nothing about real-time messages mentioned is there? I haven’t seen it in any of their documentation that I’ve read, and I’m not finding any examples of people using it with their rytm’s…

Ok @PeterHanes @AndreN @justin3am nektar support got back to me stating that the pacer does NOT generate midi clock start:stop/system real-time messages and thus cannot directly control the rytm start:stop. Bummer! Logidy seems to be the only one then…

So now to find a cheap and functional midi host!

Sam

My apologies: I read the initial post in this topic and assumed it could. Thanks for checking with the manufacturer.

No prob @PeterHanes It really seemed it would work. And after some back and forth clarification with their support I still had a very small doubt about the info he gave. I assume he knows better but every once in awhile those support guys know less haha

I ordered the logidy umi3 last night.

Sam

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread but does anyone know if the pacer will work with the model:samples to send start/stop and pattern select messages?

@Blackhawkamps yo! It will NOT send start:stop…i asked a few months ago and heres an email response from their tech support:

“> you can’t send start stop continue from Pacer, but if you enable MIDI clock in a DAW and transmit to Elektron, the start, stop and continue messages will be transmitted that way.

So Pacer can not start/stop Elektron’s transport directly.“

1 Like

Well, while it’s not the answer I had hoped for, I appreciate the quick response!

Have you found any other foot controller that can? This seems to be a a pretty flaw with elektron gear for my needs.
I’m not a traditional electronic musician where I’m tweaking knobs and pushing buttons. I just want to play guitar along to a drum machine and I’ve already got my hands full :rofl:

So for those looking for something simple to just assign to two parameters with system real-time messages (start/stop and record for instance): this little guy can do that!

Personally I want something that can also change patterns, but, this will definitely work for SRTMs.

3 Likes