KMI Softstep + RYTM start stop MIDI message

I think Midi transport is what you are looking for. PC only changes patterns.

According to its manual the SoftStep does not send start/stop messages.

Didn’t find the section where it says you can’t send those messages. I probably overlooked it. Too bad.

I think Midi transport is what you are looking for. PC only changes patterns.

I was hoping a PC might also do the trick somehow. But I was wrong, as it turns out. What I was trying to do was press play on Ableton without the AR starting the sequencer, and then pressing play at a certain moment on the softstep and starting the AR sequencer.
Think I will try to find a way around this using a looper or something. As long as the looper is playing and Ableton is not, it won’t send transport messages. When I start overdub, the sequencer will launch. Not exactly what I was looking for but it might do the trick.

According to its manual the SoftStep does not send start/stop messages.

By the way: SoftStep does send start/stop messages. (command 2 on the screenshot)

That appears to be a MIDI Machine Control (MMC) message (for controlling tape machines and similar equipment) rather than a MIDI System Realtime message, which is what the AR’s sequencer requires.

Section 5.2 (page 60) of the SoftStep manual lists the types of messages that the SoftStep can send.

What you can always do of course is get a Midi Solutions Event Processor and map a Midi note to Transport Start. Not the cheapest solution but it will do the trick.

1 Like

Do you know if the KMI softstep 2 can do start/stop?

Hello! I am now hoping to find a foot controller that will send start/stop to the RYTM. Ive read this thread as well as an octatrack thread highlighting the use of a foot controller for the pickup machine approach Elektron Octatrack hands free sampling quick tip tutorial

@PeterHanes and @k7audio have stated that the RYTM transport responds to system realtime messages and it seems that the Logidy UMI3 http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1 does indeed have realtime message capability. Here’s a clip from the UMI3 manual:

So using the logidyUMI3 and a midi host, might this work for the RYTM?

Thanks! Sam

Yes.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Thx @PeterHanes and @AndreN

Andre I enjoyed your improv nthirteen stuff on YouTube!

I have just realized that if I’m playing guitar and then wanting to kick in the rytm, I’d be needing a click track or something going if I want a seamless rytm entrance. Do you usually start your improvs with a click track? If this was the case I’d probzbly be more interested in setting up a foot controller to do program changes? to switch patterns?

Ok cool! Sam

1 Like

Yes. It’s difficult without a click and afaik the only elektron machine with a routable click is the ot. As I stopped the ot by now I use a dn for the click routed to a mixer that is muted on the pa but audible in my headphones. Still not perfect and always subject of change.

Would love to check out your stuff too. Keep it up. Andre.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nektar Pacer MIDI foot controller w/ OctaTrack preset

So the consensus is that you cannot control an analog rytm with a softstep?

You can, but apparently no start / stop.
Yamaha MFC10 does it and much more…

UGH. I guess I’ll buy yet another product to try to do this simple thing.
I bought the softstep to control my octatrack but gave up and now I was hoping this would be simpler but nothing is ever simple or easy with elektron. So frustrating.

@Blackhawkamps I just got the source audio soleman and as long as I also send midi clock from the foot controller I can start/stop etc the rytm. The soleman also allows for switch 4 to be tap tempo, which the rytm also responds to…although a bit quirky so far from minimal testing. I’ve been too busy to get pattern changes working but I assume it will work. Will try this weekend.

Edit: yeah PC messages sent on midi ch 10 and received on rytm on 10 (instead of auto channel - got the ch10 tip from elsewhere on the forum) and it works to change patterns albeit I haven’t found a way to program it to cycle thru all or more than 2 patterns per controller switch…

This “problem” would concern any brand. Start / stop messages are not common for foot controllers. A midi processor would let you map any message to any other message.
Only solutions.

1 Like

“Thanks”