Need some advice for new hardware

Hi all,
I will soon get into some money and I am eyeing a couple of things.
I have gotten rid of some hardware recently (Korg Volcas, Novation MiniNova, TR-8).
I am left with:
AS-1 and Deepmind12 for the analog side of things.
MicroFreak and Blofeld for the digital side of things.
Then I also have Digitakt, NDLR and MFB Tanzmaus for sequencing/drums…
I have various effects/processors (Doctor A, MS-70 CDR, DD7, Yamaha SPX-990, Analog Drive, FMR RNC) as well as a good enough mixer (Midas Venice 160) and audio interface (MOTU UltraLite Mk3) so I am covered on this side.
I am after something that would add to the setup synth wise.
Eyeing at something VA or wave tables: Modal Cobalt8 or Hydrasynth.
Even a Digitone is appealing :slight_smile:
I am into ambient, pads and lush sounds.
Any advice based on experience, taking into consideration the style of music and current setup would be appreciated.
V
Edit: Thanks :slight_smile:

Hydra gets my vote. Digitone is a fantastic addition to anyone’s rig. Peak is another to consider. I’ve got the skulpt and I’m not really a fan. That’s just me, it’s capable enough.

Thanks @Bunker for the Peak advice :slight_smile:
This was also on my watchlist.
Hydrasynth or Digitone are more appealing for the fact one is Wave Table and the other would probably compliment DT as a pair :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s wrong with Blofeld (VA, wavetables) into Doctor A (lush reverb)?

2 Likes

Nothing actually :slight_smile:

How about looking at it another way? If you could only have one synth and one drum machine and/or sampler, what would you pick? Forget what you currently have for a moment and choose your dream synth that you would use on 95% of your tracks. Then work backwards on how you might integrate that into your setup. Would you need to raise extra cash by selling something else too? Get something that is going to last you for years.

5 Likes

Thanks @craig
And also @PeterHanes for reminding what I currently have might just be (more than) enough :slight_smile:
@craig indeed another way to look at it.

3 Likes

This thread could be interesting for synth ideas. OP doesn’t make ambient music, but a lot of the same synths you are asking about come up:

1 Like

Thanks for the link @craig
Much appreciated.

1 Like

You have more than enough and if you don’t already know that you have an urgent need for a specific thing, no point in aimlessly looking for more gear.

Why not spend the money on a course or some lessons to increase your skills or knowledge? Or on a life experience - travelling or something - that will provide inspiration to feed your music-making?

3 Likes

…i also think, if ALL that does not do the trick for u yet, it’s hard to argue about what should be a perfect match next…

while an ot will always serve u well…and would keep u always busy…
it’s really not that much about the next thing…it’s way more about diving deeper into the gear u got…

and if u need more lucky dips and happy accidents, the ot will cover that for years to come…
and if u need some further gear no matter what…get urself a microcosm hologram thing…
that’s instant all shades of ambient, no matter what u feed it with…
at least with a little sonic cherry on top by an eventide space…here and there…
and overall…
headspace makes the ambience…

Pretty complicated at the moment…
But yes to your comment in general.
Appreciated :slight_smile:

This one scares me I have to be honest :rofl:

Will have to investigate this one.

Also looking at effects :slight_smile:

Can these even be found anywhere at the moment? The three items I want are all elusive (Tracker, Soma Cosmos, and Microcosm).

Microcosm is presale for aug right now. Reverb

Yeah, I saw that but thought for sure more people might be getting rid of them but apparently not. I don’t even know why I’m talking about it. You know my situation at the moment.

1 Like

I was just talking to a friend about it. I could sell mine and get some cash and get a new one in a few months but I just enjoy it so much.