Need Midi routing advice

Excellent!! Looking forward to trying that out this evening. I’m guessing though that I will need to have the Mac up and running to use this. If the open source AMT-8 panel works though I should be able to create a “hardware” routing template that works even when the Mac is powered down. At least I think that is how it should work!

There is a serial port at the rear panel. Never heard of a mac/pc version by the way. But at the same time never cared that much about the exact type. I think as long as it has that simple everything to anywhere factory setting you’re good to go. There are 8 in/out sockets. For me at the moment it’s enough. Oh and not to forget: I’ve even connected a iConnect midi to the XT which again is connected to: iPad, OP-1, novation remote sl.

Good luck with finding one’s old XT and have fun improvising and twiddeling the nobs. Send us a pic when the set up makes u happy :wink:

Excellent!! Looking forward to trying that out this evening. I’m guessing though that I will need to have the Mac up and running to use this. If the open source AMT-8 panel works though I should be able to create a “hardware” routing template that works even when the Mac is powered down. At least I think that is how it should work![/quote]
Yes you would need the computer up. I did not have much luck with the open source pane if you mean this one:
http://www.potm.org/software/Unitor/index.html
If you get it working let me know. The midi patchbay app works great for me but having the computer on in my studio is not an issue. Being freed from it to just jam out on the hardware is great though. I am doing a lot of my writing this way now.

i use to have the same problem but with a slim phatty and tempest. moog and tempest don’t get along. maybe you should do this.
midi keyboard>octatrack>moog>tempest>KP. set up your auto midi channel as described above so you play all your gear with the keyboard. the tempest should be able to send midi to clock to the kp through the midi out/thru port.

Exactly which one did you get for £50?
How easy is it to customize?
Whats that process like?
Thanks.[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply. I got a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV from Ebay:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jan97/motumtpav.html

Its one of the pre-USB ones but I just did all the config from the front panel one evening, no need to use the Serial port. Its a pretty 90s looking box but it does the job fine :wink:
It can also sync to SMPTE and ADAT if thats your kind of thing, could be useful for syncing an OT to live video etc.

tasty - v handy to have a screen :>

Motu MIDI Express XT USB.

It’s all you need. 8 I/0 and has software for the computer which makes it fully patchable/filterable/transformable.

You can store the patches in the Midi Express and recall them with a button press on the front panel even if the computer is off/unplugged.

You can pick them up used on ebay. I’ve seen as low as $60 and as high as $350 new.

It has never let me down.

Just found that midiman midisport on the swiss auction site ricardo.ch: http://www.ricardo.ch/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=727918304

Ask the guy if he ships outside of switzerland…

for future searches on this thread - this little beauty is a very portable little bro of the Unitor 8, it handles merging too and has 32 ‘patches’ for the 2in 4out matrix possibilities which are changeable via prg chg, it needs a ubiquitous 5v usb psu or pc to power up

Emagic MT4 (bought by apple 2002) so OSX support is sorted, no knowledge of windows support

neat !

Seems like this is a good place to ask about this:

I got a Unitor 8 recently, and am trying to figure out the best way I can use it as I wish once my OT arrives. I’d like to use my X-Station as a master keyboard for both the OT and Monomachine, with the OT as master, sending clock and transport, and ideally to be able to use either box to sequence my other gear at will. Any thoughts about how to do this (relatively) painlessly?

This tip has helped me immensely with some trouble I was having tonight.
Many thanks, newgreyarea!

I had one of these (one of the few midi boxes that could properly transfer samples to my Jomox 888): Windows support is practically non-existant, maybe XP at best?

Got rid of it when I found out the TM-1 is one of the other few midi boxes that can transfer samples to the Jomox!

Hello guys,

I woud need Midi routings advice as well:

• UC33 (in+out)
  • Octatrack (in+out+through)
  • Monomachine (in+out+through)
  • Moog Subphatty (in+out)

OT has to be master
want to sequence Moog & MnM with the OT
want to control OT & MnM with the UC-33

How do I have to connect the Midi equipment to each other?

thanks and all the best!!
ron

if you draw it out, you’ll see you need a splitter or merger to get us33 to mono - I think the doodaa image just above does both, so something similar or get a merge (more useful IMHO than a thru)

If you want to use Emagic AMT-8 in standalone mode without a computer, just physically unplug the USB.
The interface will switch to an “emergency” mode, where any midi inputs in one port will be distributed to all other ports.

E.G. incoming Midi on port 3 will be distributed to port 1,2,4,5,6,7,8

1 Like

it’s not emergency mode as such, it’s just a normal patch mode slot 1 which can be any config you like - the default is as you describe - a footswitch lets you scroll through the user presets - there are third party apps for configuring the mapping - also applies to mt4 above which needs midi commands to cycle the preset mappings

ok I did not really get it:

I want to have a midi handshake between Sub Phatty and Octatrack.
I want to send the clock to the Monomachine.
I want to control the Octatrack with the UC33.

Do I need any additional hardware?
How do I have to connect it properly?

thanks for your advice!!

ron

You do not need additional hardware.

The physical connection should be:

UC MIDI Out to OT MIDI In

OT MIDI Out to MM MIDI In

MM MIDI Thru to SP MIDI In

Set the MIDI channel number of the UC-33 to match the Auto Channel number of the OT (for example, 9).

Set the MIDI channels of the audio tracks of the OT to, for example, 1 to 8.

Set the (receive) MIDI channel number of the SP to, for example, 10.

Set the BASE CHANNEL number of the MM to be, for example, 11.

Set the CHANNEL SPAN setting of the MM to be, for example, 6

With these examples, you will be able to sequence the SP from the OT’s MIDI sequencer on channel 10 and the MM on channels 11 to 16.

There are some other detailed settings to adjust to get the exact behavior that you want: let us know if you need help with that.

wow PeterHanes - thank you so much for the fast details.
There is just one thing I dont get, before I ll get lost in the cables :smiley:

I cant see the handshake between SP and OT yet - means I want to use the SP’s keyboard when I sequence them (choosing the key with the encoder or OT keyboard is terrible): shouldnt there be a connection from its midi out to the OT’s occupied midi in?

thanks and all the best to you

My apologies: my proposed solution did not address that part of your request.
I read that the UC33 cannot merge data from its MIDI In port with data from its controls and send the merged data from its MIDI Out port.
Therefore, to achieve what you want you would have to connect both the MIDI Out port of the SP and the MIDI Out port to two MIDI In ports of a MIDI merge box. Alternative solutions without a MIDI merge box would be to connect the UC33 to a computer via USB, or to replace the UC33 with a controller that includes either a keyboard or the ability to merge two MIDI signals.