Need help in selecting the first Elektron device

…if u already decided…and dtakt is actually ur solution to ur question…

then follow hauslands advice at first and get used to plocking just with factory stuff…
whenever u miss melody, have a try on single cycles…also to be found in the factory stocks…
all just klicky micro snippets at first…but once u turn on loop, they all start to make sense and sound like their names…to become amazing melody tools and whatnot…

enjoy ur first elektron device…and besides their sequencer engine, they all got one other thing in common…they all go as deep as ur willing to dig…

1 Like

I see that you already made your choice (congrats!) but wanted to comment/ask about this one anyway:

Not sure what the reservation was here - that it has more 4 tracks than the Digitakt? I don’t see how that could be a probem. Your assessment is otherwise correct, it’s synthesis instead of samples/sampling. It really comes down to being a workflow difference: sample browsing, resampling and sample manipulation vs tweaking synth parameters. They’re two different paths towards dialing in the sounds you want. But it’s also a sound palette question - the Digitakt will be the more versatile choice since you can sample any sound imaginable, whereas the Syntakt can “only” sound like a synthesizer (an incredibly versatile synthesizer no less).

In any case, I think you made a great choice and like @plragde said, it comes with a bunch of high quality samples so it’s not like you have to build your own sample library from scratch to get started. :slight_smile:

Do you want to work with samples or synthesis? Rytm is in my opinion the best drum machine ever made. Syntakt seems to be like a more groovebox oriented thing, but Rytm has a great sample side so you can do all sorts of things with it not usually available with drum machines.

I’d get a Rytm, honestly. Octatrack is their best device but if you don’t need all the bells & whistles it has and want to work with synthesis, Rytm all the way.

1 Like

Surprised it took this long for someone to big up the AR, although it seems OP has made their choice (and Digitakt rocks!).

AR is the ultimate drum machine - it does samples and has analog engines that can be used simultaneously on each of the 12 tracks - 4 of which are choked (which is a good thing on a drum machine, super useful!). Lots of performance options, cool latching stuff for mutes - has kits! Individual outs also useful, I get the kick out of mine for sidechain on an external compressor. It’s also an excellent bass synth.

I would also consider an OT for a drum machine, stereo samples and the crossfader can be used in so many creative ways - I only don’t use mine as the drum machine because the tracks are too precious (sometimes I do though). If it had 12 I could probably just about squeek it. But I’d consider that a Digitakt+.

Digitakt solid choice though, and much easier to get to grips with and you’ll be making excellent sounding music in no time, it just sounds good.

2 Likes

Exactly. Rytm pretty much has EVERYTHING you want in a drum machine. Octatrack is cool for drums I guess, but but… It’s capable of so much more that you’ll at some point start exploring it more and maybe find other uses, which leaves you wanting a dedicated drum machine, hah.

Digitakt is great if it’s what you need. A percussion oriented sampler with great FX and a superb midi side. Now with song mode! I personally prefer both the OT and Rytm to DT and would rather take either one over Digitakt or Syntakt.

3 Likes

If you already have a sampler and don’t have a drum machine, I would go for Rytm or Syntakt.

Syntakt is my first and only Elektron and I love it.

I’ll definitely post my impressions once I receive and spend some time with it :slight_smile:

FWIW I have an Akemie’s Castle which is using new old stock Yamaha IC, but tbh I didn’t spend enough time with it yet to assess the full potential of digital FM - so far I was only able to find a few sweet spots with 2 operators (well op and carrier), but couldn’t get 4-op synthesis sound much different from the 2-op one yet :frowning:

I’ve read somewhere that A4 mk1 can be found for relatively cheap these days, but I was not sure I’d want a big Elektron machine just yet (I’m a bit space constrained ATM, so have to justify every new piece of gear, especially larger ones).

Great advice actually, same with modular too - I often need to explicitly tell myself to stop treating something as the normal-thing-it-can-do and look for more creative uses :slight_smile:

That’s what I’ve heard :slightly_smiling_face: Already bought a Synthdawg guide for DT and started reading it when I have a free minute.

Hmm, I think that I was thinking that Syntakt required more wiggling to tune in the sound I’d like and DT looked easier to get something decent going, but I can’t be sure without trying either :slight_smile: I also have probably just worded this wrong in my original post.

Oh! I actually forgot to write about it :slight_smile: I was looking at it indeed, but it’s on the expensive side (a new one seems to be ~2x more than what I’ve paid for a mint used Digitakt), but it did look like an interesting machine. I’m just worried I’d spend so much money and won’t like the workflow whereas with Digitakt it’s easier to accept (and probably easier to sell it if I have to, although not sure about that). I also think I’ve read somewhere that bigger boxes are deeper than the takt/tone trio, so diving straight into that sounded scarier :slight_smile: That being said, if I do like the Digitakt, I’ll be looking long and hard at the Rytm :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a classic (non-tracker) sampler yet :slight_smile: My musical journey is kinda weird - in short, over years, with gaps: acoustic guitar -> electric guitar -> Guitar Pro -> FL with guitar VSTs that got me looking into electronic accompaniment (pads/synths/drums) -> synthesis in DAWs -> modular -> (now) physical groove boxes and non-modular synths to complement what I have (guitars are being somewhat neglected ATM :frowning:). In the DAWs I’ve almost never used samples apart from drums VSTs or an occasional background track or a vocal chop, so I have a very limited experience with them :slight_smile: I did make a breakbeat track on a Polyend tracker once (which turned out to be amazing for that), hoping DT would also be fun to chop breaks on!

4 Likes

I’d take a second look before deciding, honestly. The Rytm isn’t necessarily deeper than the DT, in fact i think Rytm has less bells and whistles. But it really excels at being a drum machine. 12 tracks of analog synthesis, sample slot per track, analog filters & distortion and separate outputs per track. Also master compressor and i like the FX more, too. I really like the pads, too altho some people say they’re too rigid. Velocity sensitive, naturally which the DT lacks completely.

Digitakt is far less capable as a drum machine and lacks synthesis, but has more features for general use i guess. I would never trade my Rytm for a DT.

I’d YouTube the process of chopping anything on the Digitakt. As far as I know, it is really not made for handling loops. It’s more of a one shot machine.

It handles loops fine! Chopping is easy and fast. But no slices which is a bummer.

Yeah, but not in stereo and with no time stretching? Also, only 8 chops? I guess you could p-lock start points, but that’s tedious and annoying.
No shade on the Digitakt, just saying they’re better tools for chopping samples.

Yeah, it lacks functionality for sure. But, it’s fun to make loops with, even if it’s quite rudimentary.

Not that Octatrack is good for loops, either.

1 Like

Yeah just grab a RYTM MK1 if you can’t afford an MK11 it’s still a beast and can really create full tracks it forces you to be very creative and can do more than you think… Always.
Individual outs are great too.

Yeah i have a mk 1 and i love it. Cost just a tad bit more than a used DT.

It does respond to it via MIDI in a basic way, at least. Tried it the other day.

Ehhh… I’d steer beginners away from the OT and earlier (not that the other ones are that attractive price-wise to a beginner) They assume a lotta context in the user’s experience.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Need help in selecting the first Elektron device:

Too late (by the time of my first comment even :slight_smile:). I am interested by Rytm probably the most after DT, but for now I have the latter still (:frowning:) in the mail, I’ll be doing a deep dive into that first to see what it’s all about and then checking out the comparison videos to get a sense of what the other boxes offer. So far though the more I read into the DT’s manual, the more I seem to like it :slight_smile:

Hmm, this is a little bit unexpected, but now I do remember not seeing any (?) videos with DT running loops. Still, not that bad - I still have the Polyend Tracker which is amazing for that :smiley:

Hope I’ll receive my DT in a couple of days and start my journey :slight_smile:

Although the Digitakt was not designed for loops per sé, it is still possible to work with loops and emulate time stretching and all. @dialectrics video’s are a great source for this:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting these, both videos are great. Really solid Digi tips here @dialectrics

Genre-wise, my main interests are IDM (think Squarepusher), industrial (think NIN) and, for the lack of a better term, ambient

Well, I think you got the sampling side covered with the devices you already have, no? I think you should go for the Syntakt as it’ll be easier for you to get into the Elektron workflow but also give you the soundscapes you’re looking for for your type of music. Digitakt would be my second recommendation as you could sample all your modular and then mangle it up, but the Elektron way.

To be honest, I think no matter which you’ll choose, you’ll definitely be happy and able to achieve something dope within those genres. I have similar tastes as you and I went with the Digitakt, but my goal is to complete the lil’ blackbox trinity.

Edit: …AND I’m a dummy. Digitakt is win AF tho. Big DUBS.

1 Like