NDLR alternative in software

I would check out …

There are plenty m4l devices, which can be combined, create randomness, filter MIDI, modify MIDI, etc.

1 Like

Not exact duplications of NDLR but also recommend Scaler on PC/Mac. Or Suggester / Step Poly Arp / Mozaic / Xynthesiser or many others on iOS.

Or https://fabriziopoce.com/progressive.html if you’re able to access AbletonM4L. Lots of ways to do this…

1 Like

Having some joy with Xynthesizer, and will look into M4L, thanks

1 Like

Cthuhlu is a beast. Really versatile. And there are really good chord packs available.

…how about built ur own ndlr’s in bitwig…?

lots of options for doing so to find there…plus a lot of internal plugins that take u half the way already…

I use Ableton, and don’t have the expertise or patience to build something in M4L

…then again…try bitwig…it’s way more like playing a video game than to take a deep dive into coding…while u end up with same results and even beyond…

1 Like

You’d have to roll your own a bit but Numerology was able to do a lot of crazy similar stuff.

2 Likes

Installed, tested, love it :smiley:

1 Like

I own NDLR, Scaler2 and Captain Chords and Cuthulu.

My ranking:

1. NDLR - instant music with a few buttons pressed
  2. Captain Chords - is okay … but I create always the same track … over and over again
  3. Scaler - crashed a lot on macOS Catalina / Ableton and I don’t really come to any result quickly
  4. Cuthulu - somehow I always make a trance track with that … weird UI and really tough to finetune imho

Could you link to them? Might jump up in my ranking :slight_smile:

Edit: I forgot one! Not really a chord generator …

Actually I like this one the most - and if that’s your music @ Spotify I am listening right now, I think this could become your tool of choice - very good in combination with the rest if the tools but standalone already super powerful.

I came to the conclusion: There is nothing like the NDLR. You have to use several tools.

2 Likes

…did’nt know cthuhlu…checked it here…yeah…nice one…

but, well, i repeat myself…all it needs to go this way is chaining three different note fx plugins u can find in BITWIG already, and there u go…

There’s a couple out there. I’d google “cthulhu chord packs” and see which one fits your style. There’s some free ones too. The chords are definately different to the standard Mozart things. I dont use those, even though some stuff is cool. The chord packs are sorted by key which is really handy. Load a key and just jam away.

1 Like

An explanation of how you’d set this up would be awesome. How would the chords be chosen/programmed in the first place and what Note FX modules do you recommend? Etc etc. Even a screenshot would be appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got that euclidian sequencer. It’s great :+1:t4:

After looking at a lot of these, it doesn’t seem like many (any ?) of them allow for realtime jamming the same way NDLR does, or am I mistaken ?
Xynthesizer on iPad is great, but a faff to connect it up via MIDI etc

The MfL Schwarzonator ii can do this but the way it doesn’t have regular scales really annoyed me.

But it’s mainly for generating chords, not melodies.

Nice one !

No it’s not, this is an ambient Japanese artist I like, but mine is not too different. The album that I posted the track from was done just on an iPhone !

1 Like

…how about the ultra chord…a note fx/grid stack preset created by polarity…nice dude to follow on utube when it comes to anything about bits wearing wigs…
or maybe the diatonic transposer…
and then the arpegiator…which both are standard note fx plug ins…which also have presets to pick from… :wink:

2 Likes

Looks great, but my DAW is ableton, and I don’t think that’ll change any time soon. Bitwig does look interesting though
And I’ve just bought a push 2