NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

NDLR is shipping.
Steven Barile and is team reach the end of their travel. After the nadir of the trip, now the best moment for them, Champagne !
The NDLR for us ! Youpi

2 Likes

Expect a video on the NDLR from Gaz Williams. He announced that he just received the NDLR, (Gaz has been known to enjoy his Kordbot too) and is doing a video showing itā€™s features. Heā€™s using it with a Behringer DeepMind 12, and says heā€™s having ā€œmuch funā€. See Sonic Talk #561.

1 Like

HĆ© hĆ©, mine is on its wayā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t have any use for it but it sure looks cool

Mine has shipped today. Yeah! Not holding much hope for it getting to UK before Christmas though.

Gaz Explores the Noodler

ADDED: Gaz as he says in the video goes into only one smallish area of the NDLR, and as Gaz is famous for, he wings it, so this video isnā€™t really a good measure of the complete Noodler. That said it is fun to watch if viewed with that in mind.

Mine arrived yesterday. Very short learning curve. Just need to practice a little bit to
acquiert the right reflex and masterise the differents procedures.

My first impressions :

• itā€™s exactly what productors anounced.
  • well thinked interface
  • not a sequencer but an instrument to be played.
  • With it you play your synths without knowing music theory and always in the right notes on all synths at the same time.
  • Can be very usefull to create chords progression and complete songs
  • I will use it to prepare songs and record them in my other sequencers. I already noodle with it and itā€™s very pleasant.
  • Great possibilities of improvisation, not boring thanks to all the possibilities of modulate notes and most of parameters with the LFOs and the modmatrix.
  • Large possibilities to produce personnal motifs
  • the NDLR is not confined in slow ambiance sounds (I must recognise that the Gaz William live demo on YT was not pertinent for the modulation part of the NDLR, and makes me fear about the efficience of my choice.
  • It brings to me all the things I miss in other little sequencers as Zillion from Futureretro, that were, IMHO, to closed, but that have this same spirit of live instrument.
  • It brings the direct link and playability of chords that miss in my beloved Pyramid (the combo will be fantastic).
  • the little price made it perfect conductor of my gear and cool tool for chord based songs.

One Word : superfun
Amapy :)))
Thx to the NDLR team.

4 Likes

This thing is great. Finally got a chance to play with it and itā€™s really impressive. Gutted though encoder 5 isnā€™t responding to clicks so I canā€™t access certain functions. Waiting for a reply from support but it looks like mine will have to go back.

Loopop of course.

2 Likes

yes, and again to the highest level of demoing, explanation that I have seen so far on the Internet. I have to upload the new firmware the coming days and look forward to noodling. My instincts when it was first presented on Kickstarter were right and I am glad I supported this project early on. The video will surely do its part to get more people interested. I keep looking for other ideas, like the theoryboard and hopefully more generative stuff. The Google AI on chord progressions was also nice and there are lots of Max for Live tools that would be fantastic to have in hardware. My plan is to use the NDLR in combination with the Haken Continuum fingerboard, where the NDLR noodles witht he synths while I concentrate on playing the Continuum.

3 Likes

Can anyone confirm if this is limited to 4 note max chords for the pads?

I can see that the spread parameter adds additional notes but only doubles them in other octaves etc. Can it play minor/major 11ths for example ?

Does anyone know what Loopop is using for the display of midi notes in the video, which shows colored bars coming out of a piano keyboard? It looks very much like the display from Synthesia except in that case the notes (bars) are going the opposite direction ā€“ specifically from future time, instead of into the past as the software Loopop is using.

It would be a useful program to use with the NDLR (and other stuff too).

The question has been asked in the youtube comment and you guessed right : Synthesia.

This little ndlr is growing on me should I resist ? No, go with the flow ! :smile:

1 Like

Something else thatā€™s caught my eye ā€“ in a similar realm is ACDGEN by Spektro Audio. Itā€™s a little more focused as to musical style, but it sounds quite good doing that. (At least from the demos.)
It comes both as a Max app for Live, but more interesting is the hardware edition they are developing.
Hereā€™s the thread for it.

1 Like

How much was you hit with duty?

249 Queen quids seems ridiculous for what it does

Bloody hell. Canā€™t remember what I had for tea yesterday. Ha ha.

Is it not VAT at 20% plus a smallish fee from Royal Mail???

I think itā€™s worth it though. Itā€™s a great idea generator but I do record into Ableton to take it further.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, I record NDLR in other sequencer too. So possible to have fun for long session and back to the best moments and then editing.

1 Like

Just ordered, seems to be such a great sequencer :wink:

New batch available!

2 Likes

I recommend this too. Iā€™ve been using mine with my Sonic Core PC (four independent synths going in to a mixer with fx) and itā€™s great fun.
I like that it also appears in Ableton as four midi ports so can be routed anywhere with ease.

Get one, itā€™s fun!

3 Likes

nice NDLR vid this
imagine a clocked elektron alongside!

5 Likes