NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

I would do…
NDLR master
Out 1 NDLR to kenton (that can be take off the chain, it depends on its utility) then synths
Out 2 to give sync to digitakt and Tr8.

Other possibility depend on the number of synths.
Digitakt gives click to TR8 and NDLR, then NDLR has 2 out (that’s best solution to plainly use your synths).
On the remaining IN of the NDLR, you have the keystep that can play the NDLR.

That’s my 2 propositions
Havfun

1 Like

@elenacortes
Thanks for the fast reply.
Will have a look at these 2 setup options.
Also expecting a Kenton Control Freak Live (to control AS-1) that I will have to insert in that chain.
Will test and give some feedback once done :slight_smile:
Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

An iConnect midi box or something similar isn’t a bad idea, and a small one can be had fairly cheap used. That way you can route things to each other without having to use thru ports, and you can set the NDLR as a main controller when you want to use it.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and potentially you could then change your connections with the push of a button should you like more than one way things are connected. Plus with some MIDI boxes you can set up filters and smart splitters, etc. I was thinking of the Blokas Midihub, in this regard.

1 Like

Thanks to both :slight_smile:
I was looking into splitters, mergers and MIDI filters.
To the point where iConnect and Blokas came up :slight_smile:
Will look further into these as I have a setup that allows me to work DAWless or with my DAW (Reaper) just changing my soundcard hardware setup (MOTU).
I have everything connected by MIDI 5 pin as well as USB.
Maybe I am at the point where a MIDI merger and thru ports are not sufficient anymore.
Recent acquisitions of NDLR and Kenton MIDI controller being the reason behind this.
Regarding these iConnect and Blokas (or others if there is any…) How hard are these to set up?
Any preference (Mac Sierra) in terms of brand/features?

Well it just so happens there is another on the way from the same company that makes the NDLR — Conductive Labs. They have the grand daddy of this sort of device called the MRCC. Thread.

As far as the Midihub goes, it’s pretty much a piece of cake to set up and use, at least i find it so. Especially for simple things, it can do some incredible MIDI processing sorts of applications too.

The Midihub is stand alone once you’ve set it up. It is 4 in and 4 out with physical MIDI, plus 4 x 4 USB MIDI to a host only, it can’t be USB MIDI host on its own, it’s only real shortcoming.

1 Like

Funny you should ask - I’ve just been pulling my hair out trying to get my iConnect mioXL to play nicely with my gear. The main drawback with that one is that iConnect has shitty documentation for their software, but I know that many people do get them to work well, so I’m optimistic…

One thing is that the iConnect works equally well with DAW or DAWless systems, and you can set up multiple profiles for different setups. You use the desktop software to handle complex filtering and routing, but it functions standalone and newer models (like the mioX series) have decent UI right on the unit.

I’d forgotten about the MRCC that Jukka mentioned below your reply–now I’m wondering if I should have just held out for one of those. But I’m gonna get this mio to work if it kills me…

2 Likes

It‘s a bit off topic …the support is pretty quick in answering - maybe try that? I have the mio10 and the software sucks even more. I wouldn’t recommend buying their hardware anymore since they have not the quickest coders obviously (been waiting for almost years now for their „promise“ to have their Auracle (?) software ported for the older generation). Too few people I suppose.

1 Like

Yeah, just filled out a ticket. I have 30 days to return the mio, so I’ll give it a few days and if no dice then send it back to the shop. It’s a pity, since what it promises to do is so useful…

Just so you know, the new Auricle X software supposedly works with the mio10:
“Auracle for X-Series is our configuration program originally for mioXL and mioXM, but expanded to cover most configuration for the iConnectMIDI2+, iConnectMIDI4+, mio2, mio4, mio10, and PlayAUDIO12 (as of 1.8.1).”

https://www.iconnectivity.com/auracle-x-series

Maybe it will work for you and you can explain it to me :laughing:

1 Like

iConnect out of the equation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have a iConnectMIDI4+ here, and although it takes some head bending (mind warping), it does the job, a little…

All the filtering, remapping and routing can only be done on either the input or output of any connected device. Not on the connection itself! Meaning in many cases it is all or nothing. Which in my experience is a real limitation…

I’m awaiting the MRCC from ConductiveLabs, and I can’t say for sure (but I asked), I truly hope it will have the options on a per-connection, and that will make all the difference…

(Just this morning there was an update about the release of the MRCC, hope it will be shipped this year)

Cheers, J*

2 Likes

Since the NDLR has not yet arrived, I have a couple of questions regarding your option #2: could I set up as follow:
Digitakt out to TR-8 in
TR-8 out (thru activated) to Keystep in
Keystep out (thru activated) to NDLR in1
Kenton Control Freak out to NDLR in 2
NDLR out B (Sync) to Kenton thru in
Kenton out:
1 to AS-1
2 to MicroFreak
3 to Deepmind12D
4 to MiniNova
5 FREE
I do not mind having the Keystep not controlling Digitakt.

@vasidudu
Yes, on the paper no problem.
Clever installation.
You can use the keystep to control the NDLR, the digitakt for global clock.
On the other side you have advantages of the kenton that will certainly transmit the notes from the NDLR to your synths plus it’s own abilities.

Interest :
All midi message on midi IN A wont be transmited to Kenton (wich is in OUT B)
The limits :
1/ long midi chain. What will be the latence between the master (Digitakt) clock and the clock received by the synths throught Kenton. Will be a good test.
2/ the Digitakt or the Keystep won’t send midi to Kenton.

Would like to have return on this as soon as you try it :nerd_face:

1 Like

“On the paper”…

Had not seen this one coming…
Will buy a merger and will set it up this way:

1. Kenton MIDI Controller to Digitakt to Keystep to merger in 1
  2. Digitakt thru to merger in 2. This is to have Kenton MIDI controller “talking” to hardware synths.
  3. Merger out 1 to NDLR (midi in 2 for Sync) to MIDI splitter to hardware synths.
  4. Merger out 2 to TR-8.

It looks like the NDLR only receives transport /sync from MIDI in (B).

Does that make sense? On the paper :slight_smile: Am only guessing at the moment as NDLR has not yet arrived.
Am also aware of the MIDI lag that could be seen with this setup.

Like this:

1 Like

@vasidudu Yes it can be efficient.
The question about Kenton would be : what is its function in your set ? Is that to control synths (as in the first version of your set) ? Or has it another utility with more gear than the synths ?
Same about Digitakt. What will do it’s midi tracks/cc control. Is that only for the NDLR or more ?
Because these 2 questions could help to choose between a unique main midi chain or several in parallel mode.
Furthermore, do all your synths must have the NDLR as sequencer ?
That’s the point of having parallel chaining with two (or more) different midi circuits.
On the other side, you maybe want to connect all your gear in a midi network, a midi patch bay or something like that. Steven Barile works on this type of project MRCC (midi router control centre).

Edit : https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/

1 Like

Kenton Freak allows me to send CCs, NRPN, SysEx on multiple channels at the same time (VSTi also controlled permanently through Komplete Kontrol).
Also allows me basic transport controls. Though its main use at the moment is to sound design in the AS-1 and VSTi.

In an ideal situation, I would like to be able to use Digitakt as a controller/sequencer for both synths and NDLR.
In the attached photo of my setup, would Digitakt be able to control/sequence my synths without NDLR?
NDLR replicates 4 USB ports but does it allow thru of any incoming MIDI data?

More precisely, say a CC message from Digitakt is sent on channel 12 to a synth, will NDLR pas this message through whether it (NDLR) is only set to send to 4 synths on 4 other channels (9, 10, 11 and 14 for example)?

Nope :slight_smile:
TR-8 out of the equation.
Though for the remaining ones (4), I would like the option to “be able to” have NDLR as sequencer.

Going to take the time to think it through once I get to play with NDLR. I have high expectations from this device in terms of generative sequencing.

Well, all depend on your style of music and the way you play it.
I mean that the NDLR isn’t usefull for techno or such kind of music (house, gabber…). For these, a good sequencer à la Elektron is far more efficient.
The NDLR, as it’s name said, is usefull in chords style music, in witch musical knowledge is needed (the basics of chords are in the box). So it’s made for playing long (or not) and continue music without thinking about produce the “right notes” (in a theorical point of view if i can say that this way). If you take a look to NDLR videos (there are few), it’s often balad/ambiant/berliner slow style of electronic music.
You can have pretty good results trying generative music with internal modulation (LFOs) or having another sequencer providing midi cc, conditional trigs… OT or Digitakt for example).
You can also record midi sessions (Pyramid, computer…) and edit them or keep your jams in memory.
But, first, play NDLR with few synths to really discover your way of using it.

In my case, it’s for freely send coherent ensemble of midi notes, noodling, when i want to sound design à la volée several synths.
I will test total submission to cc, when i’ll have more time… one day

Any cc or notes messages received (midi or Usb port) on an other chanel than the chanel fixed for contrl ndlr will be transmited according to :

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this :slight_smile:

This :slight_smile:

That is exactly what I am going to do.
Also why I am going to take the time :slight_smile:
Going to get rid of DT as synths sequencer and see what the NDLR has under the hood.

Enticing :slight_smile:

Thanks for that :slight_smile:
Will surely do so and report back this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to point out that the NDLR is not currently compatible with the USB host functionality of the iConnectivity MioXL nor the MIDI4+ (so likely not compatible with any of their other products’ USB host ports either as they all share a lot of the same core code).

Big bummer for me as all my DIN ports are full… :-/

2 Likes