NAMM 2024 -- (January 25 - 28)

We know of three product launches, the CS12, the Mantis, and the OM-108.

Notice how i use only the product names, trying to keep a little mystery, as there is still a month left. ( The brands for these three was in an earlier post. )

But new product reveals it’s still a little early for that, maybe in a couple of weeks we will see hints and teasers. We can speculate until then. I’ve had another speculation post in process, but one more day for that perhaps.

There is another product launch, a product that just completed its Kickstarter, and is going to receive a Product Innovation Award from the MIDI Association. That is for the Exquis from Intuitive Instruments.

ADDED : Oh. The company with the Mantis product, is a likely for a reveal of a new digital synth.

2 Likes

Expressive E is at the show.

Me speculating.

What might happen with Expressive E :
a) Nothing in particular, they still are busy selling the Osmose.
b) They’ve got something else going but they’ll keep it a secret.
c) They are working on a controller. This is well within reach for them.
A little farther out for them might be a controller with the keybed from the Osmose and the Touché together.
d) They are making a new keyboard synth with the Osmose keybed and a new synth engine.
e) They are setting up to OEM the Osmose keybed to larger synth makers. Perhaps another exhibitor at NAMM.
f) Two or more of the above.

And the next question is about another company at the show – What’s going on with Arturia ?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Pushing this post out beyond speculative fiction, way way out,

all the way to surrealist science fiction --

These two are both French companies making synths and electronic music gear that are making the trip all the way from France to Los Angeles. ( A third one is UVI. )
What if those two collaborated ?

Superfreak, Superfreak.

What about if Expressive E and UVI collaborate ?

My opinion :

It will probably just be (b) above.

1 Like

It’s a Superfreak
Superfreak
A Superfreak E

7 Likes

Can’t say it without singing it!

3 Likes

Oh man if they do i won’t be able to restrain myself

1 Like

Just got an e-mail from Expressive E. From that message :

Now on to 2024! More content to help you make the most of your synth, new expressive software instruments to give Osmose more MPE sounds, new features updates, new collabs with other manufacturers to expand Osmoses’s controller abilities… It will be another big year for Expressive E.

So that last part on “collabs” might fit in with my speculations.

UVI definitely could do another MPE soft synth with EE.

Anybody here have any other ideas on what else they might be talking about ? A big thing for a lot of controllers is DAW awareness, but i don’t see how that gets squeezed in to Osmose. So what other sort of “collab” could this be ?

1 Like

I read that as working with other hardware synth companies to have tighter integration with the osmose as a controller, e.g. better support for it working in the full mpe+ mode with external hardware, not just the internal synth.

2 Likes

A tighter integration would be my reading of “collabs” as well. Who knows, maybe even MIDI 2.0 as a feature update.

There have been some efforts by a volunteer community member to integrate the Arturia BeatStep Pro with the Osmose to have direct access to functionality that otherwise requires some menu diving. I don’t think the newsletter hint is for this kind of integration because the BeatStep Pro enhances the Osmose as a synth and not as a controller, but maybe it goes in a similar direction of pairing the Osmose with another controller that has the pads, knobs, etc, that the Osmose misses.

A note on ModWiggler from the 4ms account: “We’ll have MetaModules at NAMM to play with!”. This refers to the Meta module, which runs VCVrack, the Eurorack simulation for desktop. The Inception jokes have been done to death, but if you have a particularly witty take, have at it.

6 Likes

3 Likes

why would you?? =)

and to the point: i’m hoping there’s nothing new and exciting at NAMM.

my car just ate all the money

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not long now. Im hoping for a Nord Lead update.

Small bit of news, with fingers crossed for more on these.

Melbourne Instruments will be there. They first appeared at NAMM 2022 showing their NINA synth. What if you could get a piece of that motorized knob action at a lower price point ? Just me speculating …

We already knew that Modal will be there. So we’ll get to see the Carbon8 again, finished this time, as it is set to be in stores mid February. The “in stores” part has already been delayed a few months, so we’ll see.

News – Cuckoo, as in “True Cuckoo” is going to be at the show. He’s giving a performance, and i’d expect some videos, and … ?

3 Likes

I both desperately want and desperately do not want this to happen…

Because of similar issues…

2 Likes

I’m interested to see if Groove is doing some type of sampler. I think they’d do a great job.

Honestly hoping ASM does a sampler too, with all the modulation like Hydrasynth, I think it would be killer.

3 Likes

News :

Focusrite UK has been on the list right along. They are something resembling an equity holding company now, in fact in the financial press they are sometimes described as a “multi-bagger”, a good thing, meaning they make lots of money. They made the news recently acquiring OutBoard Electronics and TiMax, neither of which i had ever heard of, but both involved with AV event equipment ( artcle ) which may perhaps be of interest to NAMM attendees. Focusrite UK also own Novation and Sequential, which may be of more interest here. No new word, that i know of, from either of them or Focusrite.

[ The last paragraph was a DUD. ]

Second bit of news. Studiologic on their Facebook page just two days ago announced they are attending NAMM, and they just appeared on the exhibitor list. No word on anything beyond that, but i must say i get a very positive vibe on this late entry. They are the consumer product part of Fatar. I have been looking for a poly-aftertouch keyboard product from them. Any ideas ?

[ BOOM ! ? ]

3 Likes

I read that Modbap will have new modules.

3 Likes

The SSL controller looks awesome, but from the picture quiete large.