NAMM 2020 Rumors, Wishes, and Speculation Thread

I’m gonna bookmark my post so I can check back on it to see how far off the mark I may be.

Predictions for elektron in 2020 possibly namm but more likely superbooth:

I can’t see elektron making a drum synth in the same line as their digi series. Too many crossover features, as well as the fact the rytm exists.

I think the next evolution in the model range will be a drum synth, utilising the 6 rubber pads and 16 smaller sequencer buttons with one knob per function lends itself very naturally to drum synthesis and expression.

After which I think the next model in the model range will be model: effects. Given the huge bump in effects pedal usage and I things like the zoia I think this is well worth exploring.

If I was elektron. The next few years development would be spent solely on the digi mk2 range. The digitakt and digi tone have been a phenomenal success for the company, the cash injection over the last two years alone must give research and development the confidence it needs to not only develop the new boxes but get them out there probably sooner than we may realise. With the success the company has seen we should also appreciate it brings opportunity like private investment which naturally people want ensure further success with.

For the digitakt mk2 I suspect they will ditch the full size midi din ports to make the unit slimmer but still keeping the industrial design the same. Stereo sampling of course. Potentially a shift in (but not radical) design for the screen and UI to to make encoder usage more intuitive/natural). think like the 1010 music blackbox.

Never owned a digitone but I suspect the same change in footprint as above, maybe more polyphony and more ins/outs for effects sends etc.

I love the idea of a digi: mix. I genuinely hope they do it. There’s a whole swathe of features that would make this a home run for company. However: I would not be surprised if elektron released a mixer in the model: format. It could still be anazing.

Other predictions: we won’t see another rytm or analog 4 made again. I think they will end with the mk2

As for the octatrack. I think if a mk3 ever gets made it will be elektrons only premium (£1k +) flagship device. However, given the success of the digis and what I see as wavering interest for the octatrack mk2 I think elektron will wait this one out a while. Not getting easier with akai breathing down their necks either. Again I won’t be surprised if they can it or put development of the octatrack on hold.

5 Likes

Performance mixer, no dn mkll please

4 Likes

That Z keeps me interested but the limited sample time falls short for the sampler I’m hoping for.

To be fair the wavering interest in then OT is the fact that the DT is good enough (for a seemingly large base) for half the price with OB. Stereo and Cue aside, the sound quality (boomyness?) is also a plus. Not that I care for OB (yet) but a lot of people seem to dig the hybrid life.

Just got an OT however and I really like the workflow and the sound. Something the DT could never achieve. However the DT has some nice tricks that would make the OT jealous!

I guess we will just have to wait and find out what happens!

I’d say your analysis is going to be more accurate than not for sure.

I’m a Digitakt fanatic- if they came out with a pumped up DT, I would be all for it.

3 Likes

You’re right that it was, but I think today the story would be muuuch different :):grinning:

1 Like

True. KORG was just living in the future. When I entered into the electronic scene I was like “oh! That is TIGHT!”

1 Like

Dude same here! That was one of my first “Wish I had that” devices haha

1 Like

Same here. I’m happy with the Digitakt minus a few issues (please make monitoring stereo so I can use the compressor on my Digitone AND Digitakt), but would be a bit miffed if a mk2 cane out as I just got it two months ago.

1 Like

Would give you plenty of time to get good with the DT while the bugs get fixed on any new kit. Then you can at least have a good experience if a successor comes out.

2 Likes

That’s a good point

1 Like

I reckon it’s too early for DT or DN mk2, the only reason AH mk2’d so early was to bring it inline with the DT/DN display etc. Perhaps 2021/2 at the earliest for any sign of mk2’s.

Yes that’s too short a life span I think, same goes with OTmk2.
Maybe we would get a ‘chance’ update from the model samples ?
If they could do a box dealing with multi samples though!

1 Like

A new Model:something is the most likely candidate from Elektron I think. Just too early for DT/DN, DN Keys just came out.

I agree with others that whatever it is, it won’t be a sampler. They have 4 right now.

Could be a Model:FM. Similar relationship between DT and MS.

4 Likes

Yea Samples to DT makes sense as an upgrade path. Maybe a Model:Synth (FM or Wavetable). Model:Table? Heh weird name but something to get people into the workflow makes sense.

The performance knobs are really neat on the Model series!

Looks like we had the same ideas on that front!

1 Like

Something that could be interesting but will more than likely not happen would be a Model:Page.

8 pages, same 16 step sequencer, performance knobs that control DT/DN/OT/Whatever else.

So like an Elektron beatstep or something.

One can dream…

I still think a Model:DigitalSynthOfSomeKind is going to be the most realistic guess.

5 Likes

Wow that sequencer idea would be scary good. We are in agreement though, a digital synth should be expected. Of course, it might lack the pads since it would not be a drum machine. This would make space for more knobs, maybe small sliders or something!

1 Like

Oh rate/mod/pwm sliders like on the SH-01A would be sick! But it seems endless encoders are the way of Elektron haha

yea a modelsynth sounds v possible, a digi drummachine perhaps. and hopefully a new flagship :upside_down_face::jeans:

1 Like