NAMM 2020 Rumors, Wishes, and Speculation Thread

To be more accurate I thought English was your native tongue. I’ve been lurking on the forums for a year or two but joined only in the last few weeks. I’ve read a lot of your posts and you’re very good at putting things across in a detailed but concise way. I really like reading your posts even if I’m not particularly interested in some of the gear you’re discussing.

5 Likes

Quick aside, because this forum (and YouTube, to a degree) demonstrates this to me on a regular basis. I’m always amazed at people from abroad (Germany / Sweden, in particular) who have such an excellent grasp of English. It makes me feel lazy, as I only know 1.1 languages (used to be much better at Spanish, can still pick up enough in a pinch). I’ve actually debated starting a thread about this very subject. It’s fascinating to me, and I’m jealous of all you bilingual elektronauts!

To have an on-topic comment. I’m intrigued by the appointment only setup at the upcoming NAMM. Sending everyone to California can rack up costs rather quickly, so I’m not surprised that they have a smaller presence here. Especially, as others have said, with the various other synth expos in Europe not too far away. They can show select people at NAMM, and then show off a proper unit / software / etc. at Superbooth, for example.

3 Likes

That’s the nicest thing someone’s said to me in quite awhile. Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate them.

5 Likes

The Elektron LA office will be very busy no doubt.
That’s the power of branch offices and affiliations.
(For an affiliation i’m thinking what Waldorf does with Korg USA.)

There’s a Elektron Japan office too in Shibuya Tokyo. No doubt an Elektron China is in the cards too.

1 Like

ONE WEEK LEFT!

What the bleep?

WTF is up with the automatic grammar detector on Elektronauts. It keeps saying:
“Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?” This is English, YES this is a complete sentence, the subject is implied. And so what if i wanted to post a very reasonable sentence fragment. Mind your own business robot!

4 Likes

Korg is on a roll. They’ve announce two new consumer level products. Consumer level ain’t what it used to be so these both may deserve your attention. They are the i3 Workstation and the EK-50 L Entertainment Keyboard.

The i3 Workstation has a raft of PCM sounds and a 16 track sequencer, with 61 full sized keys and battery power. $600.

The EK-50 L Entertainment Keyboard. This is said to be like the i3 but is simpler to use and has built in speakers that are said to be able to pump out some volume. $550.

The gearnews post has videos for both.

I notice they both have two USB ports on the back – a host and a device port. I like that, all new keyboards should have that.

1 Like

You are most welcome.

2 Likes

Damn straight. If we wanna go Hemingway here, no forum bot will ever stop us. Never.

3 Likes

Model Samples looking very lonely on the Elektron side. Of the three new form-factors it still needs a mate but hope the present a new Digi!
DigiBass!!!

1 Like

I’d be into a DigiBass if they could pump some Toraiz AS-1 sounds into it, but Elektron’s version would actually be able to do it’s sequencing and keep time after changing a preset. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly the digitone has fantastic bass and all the tools to sculpt it to your needs. I have been impressed with it.
I see them making a modal drum or modal fm or modal mono honestly.
I’d buy the mono drum for sure
I would Love, though, for another machine drum

5 Likes

I was just thinkin I’d actually dig a model:beats aka drummachine. hopefully with a trick or 2 up it’s sleeve.

23 Likes

All I’m saying is, this ain’t society. It’s not even the general discussion thread. It’s a NAMM speculation thread for avid collectors of overpriced tools (toys) that don’t even contribute to the environment in any way.
Mentioning the flight shame thing was interesting. The 20 following posts about saving the world were a bit off topic.
But whatever, I’m sure those guys were in the environmental club and advocating recycling and and wildlife conservation for the past 25 years (just like me).
Edit: I’m done bc I’ve become the thing I hate. Sorry folks

13 Likes

well I’m glad I deleted my post.

nothing wrong with getting passionate about this stuff, plus you explained where you were coming from & even apologized :blush:

EDIT: NAMM wishes… hhmmmm… reading this thread I agree it makes sense that Elektron would make a MODEL: something (if the MODEL: Samples was profitable enough) but I’m hoping for a Machinedrum type piece.

1 Like

I want the same thing I’ve wanted for the past 10 years. An sp-707: with 808/303 effects, a 505 editor and 4 parts, 404 battery power, USB compatibility, multitimbral, 16 velocity pads, no synth but multisampling for keys and scwf, no d beam!

4 Likes

I am in event management, some smaller scale convention centre trade shows are part of that…nothing the size of NAMM

The waste alone on single use building material and signage (mostly plastic) is unbelivable and frightening to see first hand on these gigs. Imagine a container of 20 tonnes of gimmicy single use plastic arriving in your town, with no return shipping planned, as if it doesn’t move enough units then they just go straight into a skip bin. That’s sometimes just one exhibitor.

Same with custom booth builds, they are also usually built for use of the convention then skipped (bin)…aluminium, timber, perspex…enough to build a house…straight into landfill…this is just one industry group…after namm the convention centre will have back to back groups from every industry all behaving the same way.

One of the last exhibitions we were involved in did spend $50,000.00AUD on diesel fuel to run generators for the air conditioning for the duration.

And then there are the sponsored after parties. And flights and blah blah blah…it just goes on and on…

We shouldn’t be storming area 51 we should be storming convention centres…

14 Likes

I don’t really think he came across like that at all, I’d even say your post makes you seem like the intolerable one

4 Likes

Model:Sustainabilty :thinking:

20 Likes

I thought it would be obvious with the appointment-only setup that we’re launching the Model:Business.

56 Likes