NAMM 2020: How 5G Will Change The Music Industry

that’s true. i didn’t think about the educational aspect of it. in the right context it could be great.

I don’t think a lot of our young kids will drive cars themselves and if they do it will not be for long, the future is here, cars (train wagons?) driving alone and phones will not be phones I bet. :alien::alien::alien:

1 Like

I honestly thought contemporary futurism would work a lot better on a progressive electronic music forum, alas I will rest the case and put the kids in a screen free bathroom. :bath:

1 Like

It won’t change anything until we have the correct infrastructure. When we do it’ll be interesting what happens

what about the effect on health that keeps being brought up from 5g opponents? what is the low down?

Imagine someone on stage trying to use a wireless device with hundreds or even thousands of other wireless devices around.

Incidentally DDOS’ed …

2 Likes

There are none. I work in RF. it is pseudo science.

1 Like

Yeah I was just being daft :wink:

I work in telecom, and I’m currently working on projects related to the 5G rollout.

The “realtime collaboration” use cases are way oversold IMO. The latency benefits of 5G are realized when compute moves to the network edge. There are zero inherent latency benefits once your traffic hits the provider’s core network or beyond. The barriers we have to “realtime collaboration over the internet” on broadband wired networks today won’t magically go away when 5G arrives.

Further, the basic infrastructure requirements (line of sight, distance requirements) and high capital cost associated with 5G mean that this future, whatever it turns out to be, will be distributed very unevenly.

7 Likes

Yea I wouldn’t buy into the hype honestly. It’s a cool concept but even MIDI over USB can be laggy. I can see potentially things like an Abelton controller launching clips but why 5G? Why force more user data aggregation? The data has to flow somewhere if not on the local network. Last thing we need is a MIDI controller farming data.

4 Likes

I assume the real driver of this tech, at least in the US is Industrial real-time data application…but of course even more important, military and law enforcement applications.

4 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:

There are no “scientific community” warnings about 5G.

This is wifi allergy-level youtube conspiracy.

And i doubt i’ll see much good here quickly without regulation enforcing actual competition.

couldn’t find a better thread for this to be raised but please recommend/move this to a better suited place for discussion.

my questions are twofold, firstly latency related and best platform for this currently to share audio online at high quality in 2023?

second is more tech based.
tried an online md lesson for the first time the other day, went well but there was an interesting hiccup related to audio.

I was feeding audio into the computer from a BigSiX’s main outs, all this involved was a mono mic channel and stereo MD channel.
the mic channel was fine, clear and no drop outs.
whenever i played the md (on both discord and zoom) it would come through for 2 seconds then immediately get cut to 0 by the software.
Important to state all echo/suppression preferences were disabled, and with zoom even enabling musician mode etc. had same results.
the only thing that solved as a workaround was routing the audio through ableton then capturing system desktop audio in zoom, this resulted in clean no drop out audio, albeit with a little latency through the daw.

so whats happening here, does the softwares inputs still prioritise mic inputs and line level gets interrupted/denied?

any ideas to solve with discord/zoom, or a better alternate software solution?