NAMM 2020: How 5G Will Change The Music Industry

There is this interesting talk coming up soon. Time for some future ramblings on the impact 5G will have on the music industry.

update:

The music industry not to be confused with a personal gig in a club, bar or hotel lobby.

2 Likes

What a load of bollocks. Anything you can do over a wireless connection can be done faster and more reliable over a wired connection.

In some stage setups you want some things to be wireless so performers can move around untethered, but that’s nothing 5G cellular can help with.

12 Likes

True that, but things will get faster and faster and faster, it will have effects everywhere.

I am not waiting for it though, I am old and I like it that way. But I do like to stay informed!

3 Likes

5G networks offering massive increases in bandwidth and massive reductions in latency are beginning to roll out in the United States and around the world. 5G will transform the music industry by fostering an entirely new generation of internet of things (IoT) musical instruments and audio tools, connected to exciting new services like real-time jamming and collaboration over the internet, remote real-time recording, and online music and audio education.

from

1 Like

https://endlesss.fm/

Endless will launch in spring 2020 by the way, it will have a massive following for sure!

People underestimate how much possibilities higher bandwidth and lower latency can actually bring …

1 Like

The branch is safe.
But maybe the safety will be guaranteed during a concert by people who simply wear smartphones

But the talk is not about live performances… .

It’s about collabs and education and the change for music consuming including audience participation … IMHO.

Absolutely, still though I wouldn’t mind using my iPad as a wireless midi controller if they can make it fast enough. Kinda works if I set up an ad hoc connection. Not reliable though. Two people dicking about with the same project sounds like a nightmare

@TobySD why not use dropbox or similar

Well I don’t want/need to, … it’s about what todays kids, the adults of tomorrow will experience in music land as a whole.

Also using dropbox is not realtime, an app like endlesss.fm is going to be only the beginning

I might not be that old after all,… :tongue:

Interesting that Belgium has banned 5g (for now) on health grounds.

9 Likes

Oh wow, did not know that. I guess it’s more a “network not ready” excuse that is easy to sell! Belgium is not a country. I know, I am Belgian.

To be fair if your running hundreds of metres of cables that’s less preferred to a wireless connection.

I will be able to order pizzas and synths much faster.

4 Likes

AudioOS looks prwetty interesting! not necessarily for the 5g part(I’ll let myself be surprised if it wil be stable and reasonably widespread enough to rely on it - which no wireless standard does so far despite perfect stability and availability has been advertised since 3G already), but all the rest sounds great! OpenSource driven hardware where the manufacturers are paid for assembling a great package of casing/controllers with knobs, pads faders etc./computing power/ sound generation and sequencing software that works simple and reliably, but also can be extended for open API’s can very well be the future of music devices, I think. At least I find it compelling to on the one side be able to just buy something that works out of the box, but also tinker with adding more feature that I may need/want but the manufacturer can’t sell/can’t handle to developer and maintain additionally - without me having to worry about getting a raspberry pi put together and cabled correctly.

Really looking forward to the hacking we’re going to see when major concerts start integrating internet connected wireless devices. This is going to be fun. See also: https://twitter.com/internetofshit

3 Likes

Until it is not seriously tested, I will stick to the scientific community warnings about the 5G.

2 Likes

i wonder. it has potential to be useful to people but i’m sure a load of people will use it to just dick around which is fine. i think it’ll be more popular simply because it’s a mobile app… unlike the ohmforce ohmstudio collaboration DAW that almost tanked their company.

anyway, personally i have zero interest in it.

Me neither, it’s not about me. It’s about the future of music education, consuming, playing, sharing,… . I shared it because I am around kids a lot and I feel obliged to spark a little interest in music like others did for me when I was a kid, … . Today’s kids will not buy Behringer clones from 70s though :smiley:

1 Like

Great, just what we need because no one spends enough time staring into phone screens already :joy:
Hopefully they can make it work whilst driving a car too, because obviously someone will be keen to try a collab on their daily commute, to alleviate the boredom of safely driving a car. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes