[NAMM '19] : OMG! Who didn’t sell out or let down?

It’s hard to say whether NAMM is even NAMM. I mean, minilogue xd, behringer 808 + 101, strymon volante–all complete winners but they were all spoiled days before NAMM even started. So I’m super excited about those 4 things, but do they count as NAMM releases?

On another note, I’ve never hated a piece of gear as much as the new Arturia synth. Usually if I don’t like something I just figure it’s not for me and move on. This is the first time in my life that the design decisions on a piece of gear actually made me yell out “OMG, kill it with fire! It must not survive to reproduce!” But that was my reaction to the freak, which is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. Normally I’m all about hybrid synths, but I truly can’t find anything other than the filter to compliment on that thing.

1 Like

Honestly I think it looked rad, but I must be an alien because I enjoy using iPad apps and my laptop too. The only problem was the stuff about MI collaborating when they didn’t. Oh and the video made me dry heave

Very odd thread… anyway Moog certainly didn’t with their bundle of Joy they named Sirin. Also have you seen the custom Fenders, some outstanding artworks. Then there was a guy from Sabian bashing out a cymbol by hand. Yet I have hardly scratched the surface of Namm 2019, yet.

It wasn’t too bad for modular, great new modules!

4 Likes
17 Likes

Or change your game…

Best in show: Neumann headphones. Soon to be MIIIINE!!!

Can we get the Model:Samples down to that $299 price point? I’ll be buying then.

5 Likes

Just more blokey bad taste

And still no weird rompler

Overall I think NAMM was about the same as it ever was, a few interesting things, a couple of surprises and chocolate (oh wait, no that last bit was Kinder eggs)

I pre-ordered both the new Volcas, TE model 400, and I’m quite interested in the Arturia Freak although probably at the cost of my monologue if I do decide on it as I don’t want any more mini key synths.

I probably missed a few other things of interest in the Eurorack scene but I try not to follow that too closely nowadays.

To be honest though I don’t need any more gear, in fact I could get by with probably a tenth of what I have and still be happy, but I enjoy trying new things out and I find it inspiring, and I don’t spend money on much else aside the essentials (housing, food, family, pets, bills, etc)

6 Likes

Oh goodness me. I’m happier with this year’s NAMM than the last (but happy that last year brought us Digitone). There’s much more embrace of the odd and unusual sides of synthesis from larger companies and I’m happy with that. I’m happy with Korg’s Volcas and Minilogue announcements. I don’t care about Model:Samples but I don’t care about Analog Rytm either. I don’t have to love everything a company does. I’ve also learned not to expect groundbreaking things year after year.

But I’m also of the belief that people underappreciate just how good the Digitone is - it’s barely a year old and it feels like it’s forgotten as the rush and clamor of ‘yeah but what have you done for me lately besides revamping your entire product line and producing a beautiful new synth that is fairly distinct from just about everything else on the market? huh? DO MORE!’

So my attitude of “there should be more explorations of what’s possible with audio synthesis” feels like it WAS listened to by more than one major manufacturer. I’m happy with recent or upcoming releases from Korg, Modal, Arturia, etc. It was enough to keep me from even looking at what Eurorack folks are doing (because that area has had good synthesis ideas and tools, but is not a road I’m eager to go down again).

I have no need of the TE Pocket Operator modular stuff as currently shipping, but damn if I’m not impressed by the PO-3x series from last couple of years and I still want an OP-Z. Yet people seem to be writing TE off as blundering idiots who can’t make anything good just because people who already have too many useless synths lying around have no real need for yet-another-analog / (pseudo) modular synth. Other people do. Other people will get them as their first synth and have fun.

Some seem disappointed that there weren’t more ‘flagship’ level synths this year. I don’t care. Once synths start costing over $1k, I start to think “dammit, I should just buy myself a Macbook Air and write my own shit in Reaktor and Max” (that’s the story I tell myself to keep myself away from chasing down Yamaha FS1R auctions anyways). I don’t have that kind of money to spend so…

Yeah… More low cost things that are fun. I like it. I’m reminded how Tatsuya Takahashi responded to criticism of the Volcas and Monotrons as toys by basically saying “that’s a compliment - toys are fun.” And many of this year’s offering that excite me keep that spirit of fun while embracing some of the stranger sides of synthesis. Something folks like Bastl have been doing for a long time, to my delight. I’m happy to see Korg and Arturia getting into that realm.

It sure beats, for me, the “Uli and the Clone-a-saurus” matinee feature (mostly because nothing that they’ve cloned has been of any interest to me). But if the rumors of an EMS Synthi inspired clone are true, then I’ll get on board, so I’ll not come down against all Behringer clones. Just that I’m so bored of basic subtractive analog synths and have never been particularly drawn to old Roland sounds anyways so… pass… On to new things! Or forgotten things! Or cheaper things that are less conventional! Away from 808s and 909s and 303s and 101s, unless doing something weird with them like the Volca Kick did with MS-20 technologies.

But Elektron - so many samplers now, and not one with grain envelopes? That would be killer.

9 Likes

I’m a little sad because Logic Pro X 10.5 didn’t happen (10.4 and 10.3 happened on day one of the last two NAMMs).

I’m totally into the MicroFreak, though. It’s just the right kind of weird at a great price. Worst case scenario, I’ll have a relatively inexpensive MPE controller that also makes weird sounds.

That said, I’m not really in a place in life where I can (or even want to) drop $1K+ on anything musical, so these budget items make me happy. I’d rather have a bunch of little fun synths than a giant flagship. Not that I’d turn down a free Moog One or anything, though. :slight_smile:

for me, a ‘bad’ namm reminds me…
to make music, not buy gear.
it’s not my existing instruments fault i’m not creating.
new gear means less creating and more learning.
——
i’m not waiting for some new piece of gear so i can make the music. i’m waiting on me.
——
and… i like the model:sample. the battery thing is cool. it looks like a great gateway. and maybe i’m a fanboy. that’s ok.
——

6 Likes

for many pros the 2019 lineup looks like a downward spiral: cheaper models with less functions and cheaper build quality for lower prices to attract the teenage crowd. thats where many companies seem to head for. i dont mind paying less, but i also think that any hardware instrument needs to focus and to do at least one thing extremly well, otherwise it can easly be exchanged with some software, that will always be cheaper and will always have more functions than hardware.

this is why i think akai force is shurely a powerfull box for a competative price, but in comparisson will always loose against a laptop with ableton and push. at least for me the force is of no interest.

the volca drum sounds interesting and fresh, although its cheap, so this got my attention

the volca modular on the other side lacks a sigbnature sound— at least what i heard from the demos, same goes to the TE modulars

arturias microfreak also has an interesting approach. I think ill have to test it first hand because arturias presentation was not the most convincing

first prize goes to make noise qpas: its a new concept, no copycat, does what does really well, sounds great and opens new possibilities in my rack

the new ik multimedia monitors also got my attention, because of the small size and the built in roomcorrection. Im curious how they will sound.

2 Likes

I like fun sub-$1000 or even sub-$500 instruments. I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket, especially since I don’t really need any hardware at all to be content and make songs. This NAMM provided all sorts of interesting affordable items imho - Minilogue XD, M:S, Behringer MS-101, Pro-One, RD-808, etc. MicroFreak, Volcas. Already have too much gear and choices. This was all gravy. On the other hand, a MachineDrum in Digi format would have been nice!

1 Like

Yea they’ve been slackin as of late

embarrassing to watch… :grimacing:

holy shit.

disappointed so many things are going mini…right now. :confused:
hope its a phase

Who faces that way in a lift?

that clarifies a lot! So it’s not a collaboration, they just took some of Plaits modes and added a few of their own. And I was dreaming of a microclouds! But hey they should a least give her a free MicroFreak for her hard work and open source attitude!

I am a happy bunny.

Bitwig 3 ‘open modular’ will be free for me (active upgrade plan)
Omnisphere 2.6 will be free for me

Microfreak is pretty cool and I may get one even just for the CV out to add a bit of PolyAT control to my Eurorack (which includes a Plaits ;-))

BArp is definitely on my list as well, that is a hell of a lot of synth for 499USD (probably cheaper in the shops) and it looks and sounds great from the demos.