[NAMM '19] : OMG! Who didn’t sell out or let down?

I’m sorry. But somebody had to do it. I’m not happy with 2019 NAMM. Did anyone even listen to the atltitude of any of us? Comments on what you think NAMM showed?

1 Like

The only disappointment I feel like mentioning is that I didn’t get a steady trickle of SonicState videos

8 Likes

Midi freak seems kinda cool. I’m a little into the MS but I wanna see more of it.

The new Sensel Morph overlay looks pretty cool.

Outside of the MI controversy the Arturia MicroFreak looked cool(though, I’ll probably just get plates).

Teenage Engineerings modular thing is a good display(I don’t much care for the sound I heard of it, but to each their own)

Granted it wasn’t a juicy reveal after juicy reveal, but there are some promising things. Though there’s definitely a theme of affordability over innovation.

Still Volca Drum looked cool, Volca Modular(despite the TE modular, it still is worthwhile to have portable modular for $200), and there were a few modules that might be fun.

I’m unaware of anything else that came out, again- because SonicState didn’t give me the hampster drip.

It’s only he first day of NAMM new stuff might be announced later on.

1 Like

Volca drum is sparking my daughters interest. Modular not so much. That moog bird thing is a letdown. TE never had a chance with their fake modular in my eyes. Sorry so harsh but not sorry so true.

I feel you but, hey. Look at the bright side. We get to save money and spend time making music instead of learning some new piece of gear.

13 Likes

I too see it as “fake modular” at my core, but I know modular is a methodology not a genre. All it needs is a good performance from it- the gateway into that style shouldn’t be a price tag.

Also it works with “real modular” so “fake modular” isn’t really an accurate description of it.

I thought the Moog synth sounded nice. Which is what Moog is about- presenting quality sound.

I just saw the Bitwig 3 demo. It looks cool

There’s also the trident oscillator looks pretty cool, for me not knowing what I’m talking about.

I think the hardware game is getting combatted by modular and by software. So, I think that’s why hardware company’s need to shoot for affordability. Modular is able to sell just very focused good ideas in order to make really intricate systems. And the analog passion is dying away which makes the computer a much stronger contender. It can do everything. Hardware companies are a niche demographic, I guess

Can big surprises/products be announced tomorrow and over the weekend? Or are most of the biggest ones on day one?

Same, this Namm doesnt really do anything for me aside from maybe the MS101. Not mad though, wallet and gas can rest peacefully.

3 Likes

Behringer is listening. Can’t wait for the Bachinedrum next year.

12 Likes

new qubit modules look cool.

3 Likes

It reminds me of Christmas a little bit.

I like the season and I like to give gifts, but one hinderance is that I don’t get to hold true to my agenda.

For a couple weeks I was planning on seeking out an SV-1, I completely forgot about NAMM coming up, didn’t really fit into the equation.

I love seeing innovation, and I’m a little disapponted that no one really brought gear to a new level.

BUT! The beauty is that my overall intention hasnt been hindered and I get to continue as planned. It’s ultimately more valuable to me

Ha!

Maybe from less established names. But anyone that the common person would know of would definitely kickstart NAMM with a huge announcement, I think.

Still, unheard of talent making something revolutionary isn’t out of the question!

Agreed… I liked the MicroFreak and the MS-101, also the RD-808… Where’s Roland? And Yamaha for that matter…

never interested.
real innovations happen much less often than marketing tells us.
and i never buy latest-and-greatest gear. i buy old trusted gear instead.

2 Likes

Why? There’s hundreds of amazing gears on the market already.

1 Like

true, have the DN less than a year and the DT just over a year but everytime Namm comes around it makes me forget about the old gear I have. I wanted to see cool stuff that I would be interested in but the lack of it made me realize that the stuff that I have already covers what I need. More than anything im excited for price drops in used market for other stuff.

2 Likes

“but the new ____________ will take my music to the next level:wink:

8 Likes

I tried; but no one was buying :frowning:

Well, thats a different story altogether.

Maybe next year?

2 Likes