Name that Chopin tune

Can anyone identify this music by Chopin from this short theme? I’ve heard it in the past for cello, but searching doesn’t turn it up, so I think that must have been an arrangement from a piano piece that I also can’t remember.

2 Likes

No clue, sorry. Good luck !

Prélude n°6 : CHOPIN - Prélude n°6 op.28 (Horowitz) - YouTube

7 Likes

Well done !!

1 Like

Great, thanks. I remembered it as specifically not being a prelude, so I would never have found it for any arrangement. Now I can find this one that matches my memory better.

1 Like

This is a good place for this fun video.

Is Chopin Jazz ?

Knowledge of some music theory helpful with watching but not essential.

Hey there Blipson.

3 Likes

Is Chopin Jazz ? Beethoven is jazz !

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

this was cool, thank yoU!

I think it’s his chromaticism that makes Chopin so modern jazz-esque. I mean, you can impose a swing rhythm on anything, but the Beethoven sounds more ragtime-y to me, which is early jazz, without bebop’s (and later) chromaticism. Chopin is the most Bach-like of the romantic composers to my ears, and his more intricately chromatic voice leading (i.e. counterpoint) has a bop sonority that later romantic composers don’t have. Also, those later composers aren’t as piano-y as Chopin, at least Wagner and the progressives. It would be interesting to hear jazzified Brahms.

Coming from the other side, Modern Jazz Quartet incorporated classical into their jazz pieces, to very disappointing results if you ask me. It just sucks the jazz-ness out of the music, creating boredom rather than an interesting contrast. A lot of people say the same, but then a lot of people love MJQ, which I do, just not the classical excursions.

I’ve always heard this Stravinsky (except the middle section) as very Latin jazz. By that time in the early 40’s, perhaps he was exposed to Latin music and consciously incorporated it, or maybe it’s a coincidental anticipation of the Latin jazz that got popular in the U.S. a few years later:

Don’t read the title on the video and just listen and name that tune.

Needless to say, Josep Castanyer Alonso has some incredible chops.

AI assisted in the making of this video.

1 Like