My next synth... Advices welcome

Howdy fellows,
I am in the process, mood, and need to acquire a new synth. As of today, I have a series of Volcas (Kick, Bass, Keys and FM) which I really like. Also a Digitakt. All these 5 are routed through my MOTU UltraLite Mk3, outputting to my MODEL1 (this way it can be used to sequence in Maschine or in standalone if no laptop is used). I also have a Maschine Jam, KeyStep as well as various external effects, used as Aux Sends on my mixer.
I am into Techno (Minimal, Dark, Tech House) as well as EDM.
I am after something that I would summarize as peculiar, that could be digital or analog (no preference though FM speaks to me).
Any advice would really be appreciated.
Things I have my eyes on so far:

1. HydraSynth
  2. Blofeld
  3. Neutron
    Thanks for helping me in growing this list :slight_smile:
    All the best,
    V
1 Like

Are you interested in sounddesign?
Or do you need something more performance oriented?
What’s missing?

3 Likes

Out of those, Hydrasynth might be your best bet. Lots of great synths in that price range though!

3 Likes

@gerkinear yes sound design is an option I forgot to mention.
Nothing is missing in fact :slight_smile: A need to challenge my workflow and creativity.

@esq what other ones are you thinking about?

Have you considered a DN? I’ve had mine a week so I’m still in the honeymoon phase but, my god, I’m absolutely blown away by its range of sounds including drum synthesis. I also have a DT and AK, but since getting the DN, I’m really enjoying working with it and the DT alone, with all the track number limitations that implies. But if I ever need to squeeze one extra track out of the DN, I can sample a phrase over to the DT.

4 Likes

If you need a challenge use your gear you already have!
First thing that comes into my mind is: find a proper way to quickly edit patches on the volca fm.
That boosts your workflow because you know how to do it quicker afterwards, and it boosts creativity because of happy accidents. But yes, the digitone is godsend, i love it, because editing is easy on it.

3 Likes

I’m going to roll out my standard Novation Peak recommendation.

Poly, but also does killer mono sounds. Analogue filters, but can do wavetable and FM. Very nice onboard effects. As a do-it-all synth to sample into a DT it’s hard to beat IMO.

4 Likes

I would say based on : Volca Kick, Bass, Keys and FM + Digitakt

• Digitone
  • Minilogue Module
  • HydraSynth (Desktop version)
  • Argon8
  • Analog Four MKII
  • Novation Peak
  • Korg Prologue 8 or 16
  • OB-6 or Prophet (or Modular DIY)
3 Likes

Blofeld is great.
Analog 4 isn’t on your list. Mk1 for a steal, and can cover drums and fx.
Dsi mopho
DT
OT is a great techno machine. Just great. And yeah I know it’s not a synth!
Microfreak is great. Does really good acid and deep bass.

1 Like

I would say HydraSynth and Blofeld share some similarities. Both use a huge number of different waveshapes for sound design and have many modulation options.

From the videos I would guess that both share some common ground … whereas I assume that the classical PPG/Waldorf wavetable synthesis is in the Blofeld and the HydraSynth has those two mutators, which should allow for many sounds, which the Blofeld can’t do.

The Neutron doesn’t even compare to the other two. Complete different territory. It’s semi-modular, has no memories, but has a great sound too.

If you want the sometimes crisp and harsh tones of typical wavetable synths, go for the Blofeld, if you are on a small budget, or get the HydraSynth, if you can afford it.

If you want raw analogue sound, check out the Neutron …

1 Like

I knew I was opening a can of worms with this question.
Thanks a lot for all the advice and recommendations. I am still looking around, trying to see what synth/techno machine would suit me at the moment.
Blofeld has been on my list for a while now… Peak and Hydra Synth both look HUGE in terms of sound design… Not sure about Analog4…
DN of course was (and still is) in the line of sight.
MicroFreak also in the list as well as DeepMind 6/12…
OT, DSi Mopho and Argon8 to be looked at also…
Lost :joy:

Monophonic or polyphonic?
Multitimbral or not?
Keyboard or not?
New or secondhand?
Small or large?
Budget?

5 Likes

If you haven’t played with midi loopback on your dt yet, give that a try. It felt like I got a new instrument when I did that.
You could also open a new project, make three patterns.

1. A single sampled tuned to a scale of your choosing across the 8 audio tracks. Polytakt! Also do this on pattern 2 with a different sound
  2. Make a drum kit on pattern 3
  3. Turn delay send on all instruments, tempo to 30, and set your delay to act as a looper on each pattern.
  4. You can now play the DT polyphonically, switch patterns and overdub. Definitely a new way to play.
1 Like

@PeterHanes
Polyphonic
Multitimbral not sure
No keyboard
New/Second hand
Budget up to 600€

From your list I would get the blofeld. It’s the cheaper and more proven option.

Hydra can be cool, but it’s somehow a incognito. Can be great and can be a dud.

Neutron is cool, but you want poly so risk that.

I would get a peak over a Hydra anyday of the week. But the hydra has that cool pads, I give you that.

With that said, I would get a Digitone over the Blofeld and peak.

2 Likes

Blofeld has been on my list for years…
Have heard though there are issues with MIDI Sync…

1 Like

Nord Lead 2x rack. Bargain prices these days. VA. Can layer a, b, c, d parts. Has a huge range of sonic potential and a unique character that always seems to cut through easily in a mix. Fairly simple wysiwyg interface. Don’t underestimate the bass you can cook up on these either. Built like a tank. Nice manual. Proven track record.

Digitone, Minilogue XD, Argon8, and most others already mentioned would also be great choices. Hard to go wrong these days with affordable poly’s.

2 Likes

I had Blofeld, sold it - not fun to program it. So you will use it as a preset machine
Everyone is raving about it - don’t understand this at all.
And it sounds to me - very basic. Did not inspired me at all.

Used A4 MK1 - amazing for the price, i agree.
You will be not blown away with 90% of the sounds, but when you learn to program it - it will give you you some really nice.

Also - Hydra seems like a killer.

DN - don’t have it - i think should be amazing

2 Likes

I had a Blofeld. I didn’t mind the programming too much, but the sound was really not great, and there are so many glitches and artifacts in it that it’s just amateur hour compared to other options. Not to mention whether you manage to get one without all the build quality / component issues.

1 Like