My name is Jay Hosking, and I've made an album using Elektron boxes and other hardware

instant purchase based on ‘love is the plan’ being one of my favourite tracks of all time and youtube jams are awesome.

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from, but you’re not selling that much on BC and you’re basically alienating people. I’ve got plenty of barbecues to play your music on, you’re underestimating the effects of that availability. People who support artists on BC aren’t the same people who abuse streaming on Spotify.

BOOM! Just stumbled over this on the Interwebs…

This is exceptional sir…big ups!

3 Likes

Hey thanks! I appreciate it. Meant to post it in one of the threads, but life in 2020 is complicated (for us all) and I forgot. Thanks for the kind words!

2 Likes

Hello! I have a new album being released this morning. Here’s the final track on the album, where I was incredibly lucky and got Kellii Scott (drummer from Failure) to play on the song:

I’ll post the Bandcamp link for the album shortly.

9 Likes

And here’s the new album, called The Future, Tense:

Please give it a listen.

8 Likes

great track. I really love the structure to your tunes, great ebb and flow.

1 Like

Whoa - cool. I have the album ready to hit play. Now, if only these damn work meetings would stop.

1 Like

really really good stuff going on here :black_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! (I’ve said it before, but your stuff is amazing!)

2 Likes

Awesome stuff again, Jay, this last vid. I always love the synthy post-rock stuff you do.

Maybe it could be interesting at some point to do a video about your recording process for these kinds of jams?

I always enjoy the clip notes you do, which give great context about the writing and use of gear. Curious how that actually all comes together into a recording. Lately I’ve been experimenting for the first time with Ableton Live Lite, hence the new curiosity :slight_smile: Curious how you multitrack for example the table of gear, plus then the guitar/bass, and then of course in this case the external drums. Do you jam it out first for a ballpark idea, and then record it in a couple of different stages?

Just curious, maybe there’s more people like me, so perhaps interesting for a video? Either way, great song, congrats!

1 Like

Hey thanks!

Hah, after the anguish of making my last video with some process in it, I think I’m just going to keep my process stuff to my Patreon for the most part. It just seems like a better fit, and allows me to have a different kind of conversation.

For this one, I semi-improvised the song on the synth setup. Then when I knew Kellii was going to play drums, I added in bass guitar (which helped me find the parts of the song), then the guitars. Then I gave that rough mix to Kellii and he did whatever he thought best over top. So the jamming really happened at the synth level, as per usual.

Thanks again for the kind words, and maybe one day I’ll do something on multitracking!

1 Like

Makes sense :ok_hand::grin:

Cheers:)

1 Like

This is great Jay. Great sonics here. Also Failure rules. Another Space Song gets me every time and the drums are a huge part of that. Looking forward to giving your whole record a solid listen.

1 Like

Another Space Song is such an amazing track. Daylight, The Nurse Who Loved Me, Stuck on You… Fantastic Planet is such a hugely influential record for me. I’m still tickled that he agreed to do this!

Just bought this today, really great stuff Jay. I esepcially like the chiptuney bits on Equivocal :heart:

1 Like

Hello, all! Pleased and happy to announce that I’ve got a new EP called Strays. It’s the first collection I’ve released of my music with vocals. I mean, it’s also got the live hardware synths, drum machines, and everything else, but there’s singing as well! Please give it a listen when you have a moment:

3 Likes

I know this is an older post but I’ve been on a post-rock kick and was talking with my bandmate about incorporating more of those influences when I found this post. Great video! I love the song.

1 Like

Hello, all! I’ve just released a record of music from my YouTube channel over the last nine months or so, all in the domain of score or soundtrack. Please give it a listen! And if you work in TV, film, or video games and are looking to collaborate on an OST, please reach out and say hi!

3 Likes