My Monotribe mods

Those VCO mods are superb! For me, they are all about finding a sweet spot in the tunining, so it harmonises with different notes in the pattern in interesting ways. I get more out of creating those subtle harmonic tones than using it for full on noise.

I can’t figure out quite what’s happening behind the scenes, something like the new VCO is hard-synced to the factory one. Am I close?

Glad you like it :+1:

What happens is the internal VCO output goes into the new VCO, so technically it is FM, but due to the PLL the new VCO tries to lock onto it, (hence Phase Locked Loop) however using different settings on the FREQ control will determine how closely it will lock on, so at some settings it can be an octave lower, or give a fast tremelo type effect, other settings it sounds like hard sync, other settings it can be an octave or more higher, or totally doing its own thing if set very high. It can be just messed with for crazy stuff, or if doing more tonal/regular sounds can be set to unison or intervals, the level know will also determine how it sounds, around just over halfway is approx the same level as the internal VCO, but interesting things can happen if it is set very high, as then it overdrives the filter a bit.

Oh and it is great for doing drone sounds, if you like that sort of thing, especially with high resonance, level set to max and perhaps some LFO to pitch on fast.

Cheers

you’re monotribe mods are pimp!

I wish I had bought one now.

Got a new batch of VCO mods, new mutes boards soon, and another batch of drum mods coming due to popular demand. (I wasn’t going to do any more, but people have been asking for them)

Dude, are you still using the tribe? I just got one, it’s amazing! This thread hasn’t seen the light of day for 6 years!

3 Likes

Seconded. I love my monotribe, had one for years. Did the midi mod, but thats as far as I got. Would love to go further now I can solder and have a bit more of an idea about electronics.

2 Likes

Yes occasionally although not as much recently, I have quite a few of them and plan on hooking them all up one day using the chain mode.

Very under rated box IMHO, bags of character and a joy to use.

2 Likes

Do you have 9 MTs?

I think I have more than that now :joy:

I’ll have to find them all and take a pic someday.

Definitely more than 13 I think :laughing:

2 Likes

Flip me!
Circle them round the bed in the middle of the night and convince the missus they are taking over ze vorld!

I have 2 and missed out on a third last year as I didn’t have the sterling.
So much fun, great to play with other people who have little to no knowledge of kit, great sample fodder and experimenting block.
Easily one of the top 3 funnest boxes ever!

1 Like

Yeah and connecting a few together is even more fun, quite versatile given how simple it is. I used to have a saved search on ebay, you can regularly get them for less than £100 even now though.

The chain play mode is pretty cool, I never tried it with more than a few though, might have to experiment with that at some point again.

1 Like

Dude, 13!?!? How did you acquire them all?

Monotribe is such a lovely sounding mono synth, amazing filter. Didn´t find the time to mod it except for midi in/out, yet.

Btw, the links in the first post are all dead. What did you post there?

I don’t know if I should MIDI mod it, with the 2.1 update I’m totally happy to use CV/Gate and have multiple converters, would be handy though. Such a great sound from it, been so fun using it these past few days!

If you do decide to mod it with midi you can still use the cv in and the Monotribe will convert it to midi :wink:

Also midi out is handy for backing up patterns the old school way by recording into an external sequencer :+1:

Edit: Also midi allows you to clock the Monotribe externally via sync in and it will send midi clock out, so for example if you wanted to half the speed of midi clock, send a pulse into Monotribe at half tempo and the midi clock sent from Monotribe will be half tempo, can be super handy.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist buying them when they got very cheap on ebay, as low as £60! A no brainer considering how much I like them.

1 Like

That’s almost an insult at that price :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Daren, what’s your preferred way to do the VCO mute? Would like a really clean solution, wish there was a little custom board I could mount that would use a relay or something to disconnect the signal when 2 buttons are held for a period of time… but don’t want to develop it myself :smile:

I just used a small PCB I made, it had mutes for each drum and VCO, but those are long gone, it used miniature toggle switches. Probably the easiest way is to find a small toggle switch, you can find fairly small ones, or a small latching pushbutton switch.

1 Like

Just short out the Square wave to the switch.
I do it with an 1/8" shorting jack on the chassis.
When Square wave is selected the VCO is muted.
BUT if I insert a plug into the 1/8" jack, I unmute but
get a square output for external processing.
5 out of 6 Monotribes have this mod.
They also have the external VCF In mod.
And 1 has the LFO output mod.

cheers

2 Likes