My machinedrum! Seems flat I'm having troubles

Idk what’s wrong… it’s my 3rd day. Read the manual. Learned a lot will go thru it more than once. But I’m having troubles with kicks snapping and have clean techno rhythms. Idk, maybe it’s one of those things it’ll take a couple days before I’ll snap. But still having troubles

the md takes is notorious for not providing instant gratification even after you’ve gotten to know it, let alone right out of the box. but it rewards patience and exploration … the deeper you dig, the better you like it.

also, the manual is just the overview. years’ worth of user experience have been documented and you can mine this knowledge with a quick search. have a look through past threads for suggestions on tips and tricks. post here again if you have trouble finding some good resources that way.

3 Likes

The MD is great. A lot of nice options and sounds. I like it with a little distortion and compression…sorry to see it and my Electrix Filter Factory go…they were a great combo. Loved the FF distortion on the MD…could shape the drums a bit w/ the filter as well. Sounded lovely.

Couple days isn’t enough time with the MD. Not nearly enough. There are a lot of sweet spots, but a lot of parameters to learn and get working together.

2 Likes

Also check the Elektron Next Level document. Plenty of tips and tricks for MD.
Do not miss some videos from @Veets…he is “catabolic dj” on YouTube.
More exist because this machine has been explored beyond its limits…

You can find that compiled document on his website…

This is from his Bio:
[…He divides his time between writing new tracks and exploring the limits of his instruments in search of new sounds]
MuchLove!!!

1 Like

thanks for sharing this great compilation of info from @Veets
i’ve had the new machines for a while, but just in the last year acquired an MD and MNM so lots of useful info here :diddly:

3 Likes

Okay I believe I’ve learned it somewhat pretty quick. I got the newest one with all the bells and whistles. So when u got to “edit” there’s the three dummachine. There’s “midi” when u can connect an external instrument and play thru the drum machine with his data knobs. There’s “Gnd” where is like sounds and u can heavenly minipulate them again with the knobs. So what does the “I-NP”/“CTR” do? Ctr seems like it’s a big if everything. I’ve noticed there last 2 letters char for something. And than the Rom is where the C6 comes into play? Sorry for the fast horrible grammar. I sat in my car for like 2 hours reading the mannual and didn’t realize the appendix A showed me the biggest clue

I just read the first page oftips/guide of 2016, very informative. Makes the Roland stuff look like nuubs (aka noobs) but yeah I’ve got a lot to learn, last night when I couldn’t sleep I kept thinking and ideas came to me. Way better understanding of classic mode and the other mode. And why classic is best for programming the first half and not have so many kits at hand. At first(day one) I wasn’t happy. Last night I programmed some cool stuff that I thought was thumping. than I Lost it, couldn’t duplicate it. But I’m paving my way. This really is my first instrument that deals with lfo’s and stuff of that nature with more details than the cheap korg/Roland stuff. I like a drum machine with unlimited stuff to do/secrets( is the Elvis true?)/ and a longer level of learning instead of a short one (to me it means more satisfaction within the equipment).

1 Like

I ordered a monomachine as well… it was super hard to find within the states. Got one in mint and I’m going to have it checked. It’s the lastest one with +Drive for a flat 1000

2 Likes

The monomachine goes even deeper IMHO, with separate trigs for amp, lfo and filter, 3 LFO / machine, and a filter with two resonnance parameters.

• crazy arpegiator / track

If memory serves INP is an Input Machine which lets you input a live audio signal into the MD . CTR is Control Machine which lets you set up performance macros. The ROM (RAM?) is a sampling machine–which has nothing to do with the C6 software, AFAIK that software is only for the analog machines. If you have MDUW you can record samples directly through the audio inputs.

I only owned mine for about a year and I know I didn’t learn everything there is to learn about it. The MD is probably the easiest of all the Elektron boxes to learn, but it is very deep. And yea, there is a lot more going on than your average drum machine.

@InTheAM Hi, I have the filter factory but I felt that the distortion sucked alot of md’s crisp sound away. How did you use this combination best ?

@NeoTokyo48 There are lots of tricks to try, this is a drum synthesiser meaning you make your own sounds rather than just adjusting preset sounds. You can almost turn any “machine” into anything.
I’ve got some huge kicks b4 on mine (with no samples).
Lfos are very usefull and will take time and experimentation.
Remember you can use all the lfo’s to the right of your current machine.
First try a fast lfo on filter width to get your kick to snap.
Also try layering (use several machines/tracks for the one sound), especialy snares. For example use lfo to cut out the start/attack of one machine to get the body or tail of your snare then another machine with very short decay/release for the snap. (there is a link option to trigger the two at once). This method is tricky to get good results as I am a noob at layering.

Probably dont mess with the main dynamix (compressor) or equaliser yet.
Ok let me tell you my fav trick to beef up the Md a little. In the Dynamix leave the mix to compleatly dry, meaning no compressed/effected sound yet. Turn the gain to full then slowly turn the mix only one or two clicks to wet. Be carefull not to blow your speakers !!! I should of said also to adjust the dynamix roughly first.

I think its very deep in what it can do but not deep for example menu diving or features, like you say its prolly the easiest. Comprare it to the Monomachine, now that things “deep” .

YMMV, I never felt like it did this…but I prefer “rounded off” drums, so maybe I liked what you didn’t like : )

Let’s not confuse…the OP said ROM and it actually involves C6 (or others sysex librarian) to upload samples on the MD. RAM is buffered memory used to sample inputs or internal audio (after sampling this audio can be saved on ROM).

@NeoTokyo48
CTR are machines dedicated to control parameters…check the video “Idm in a box” to get a quick look at how amazing things can be done with CTR-AL machine.
INP serves for inputting ext signals, even if you dont need it if you only want to sample ext devices (RAM Synth page has a control dedicated for input jacks…). You need INP if you want to use gate and other p-locks amenities on your ext device. Keep in mind that the internal MD’s ADC is quite simple (12 bit) and the sound can be somewhat LOFIer (for me in a good way…)
Keep reading info on that document and try all the weirdiest things come to mind…you’ll be satisfied.
…and yes: that Elvis thing is true…

2 Likes

Thanks man. I hadn’t owned one in a long time and thought another RFTM comment would be rude.

That being said, all these questions about the different Machines are answered in the manual : )

1 Like

whe. U use the FUCTION + LFO… what does Hols/Trig/free mean? And expand on how to make a nice kick again? Sorry to keep questioning. And if you know more about INP? And tell me how I’d use an external sync into my machine. How would you get that to work step by step? Sorry for the 3 big questions

Rtfm sorry.

3 Likes

Hi @NeoTokyo48,

I have seen you post a bunch of questions recently about your new MD and MM. I think that you might get a lot more answers to your questions if you are able to take the time to read the manuals thoroughly first, then search on the forum for answers to your questions, and do some background reading on the web before posting more specific questions here.

For example:

I know you’re a relative beginner. Do you know what an LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator) does and how it is typically used in synths?
When you read the MD’s manual, what do you understand from the description of the UPDATE setting on page 32 of the manual and from the diagrams of the behaviour of the LFOs on page 33?

Have you had a chance to look at page A-11 of the manual where the three INP machines are described? Are you familiar the general terms (“gate”, “attack”, “lowpass filter”, “envelope” etc) that are used there?
Have you tried using these machines with a sound source connected to the audio inputs of your MD?

Do you know the term “MIDI (beat) clock”?
Did you have a chance to read the section on “External synchronization” on page 36 of the MD manual?

External syncing of two devices is easy to do, but you might want to wait a while until you’re familiar with the user interfaces of the MD and MM because it can be tricky to ensure that unwanted MIDI messages are not passed between the two units when you synchronize them.

Let’s get you up and running on each individual unit first.

6 Likes