My A4 is not recognized in Windows 10

I’ve got an AR, which works fine via USB, today I got an A4 and when connected via USB, this is what I got:

Any idea how to fix this? I added the driver manually via driver category “sound devices” > Elektron > Analogue 4, but it only claims 2 of the 5 detected “unknown devices” and then still doesn’t work.

right click on each one - uninstall the driver, make sure check the box that says “delete driver files” or whatever

hold down shift, click on restart - go to “troubleshooting”, choose “advanced options” then “startup settings”

machine will restart, and brings up a menu similar to the old F8 windows startup options… you want to select the one that says “disable driver signature reinforcement”

then once its all booted up and logged in, plug in the A4 and it should detect it and install correctly

windows 10 can be a pain in the ass in many ways… thankfully it uses modern computer resources fairly well (much much better than win7) so there are some pros to balance against all the cons… but yeh - PITA

1 Like

Hi thnx for above but that didn’t work, i’ve narrowed it down to USB overbridge mode, when this is enabled on the A4 it recognizes these 5 unknown devices. When it’s in midi only mode it recognizes the A4 correctly and the usb midi works (tested with C6) . Anymore suggestions?

if you have any security software that would be where i would look next - after that id probably be doing a sweep for malware that acts in a similar way

if those didnt work id have to see the machine first hand to fix the issue

Hi, no security software, just standard win10 pro redstone update
Only windows defender but no issues there.
No mallware here, it’s a dedicated DAW workstation. Only Cubase 8.5 pro and Wavelab 9 pro on there.
The RYTM is working fine in Overbridge Mode, but the A4 is not.
I’ve removed all “hidden” (greyed out devices) from the device manager and flagged to delete the driver as well where I could tick this box.

I have 1.23b on there, if I reset and format drive, will I then also lose all factory content?

I’ll will check the A4 on my MBP as well, see what it does there.
It’s strange that the USB midi mode works fine though?

Can confirm no issues on my MBP
Just installed OB and control panel show the A4
So it seems to be a Win10 driver issue.
Win10 says it can not find the appropiate driver for the device.
Both automatically look for and manually piont to (multimedia > elektron > a4)
Don’t find any suitable driver.
I assume once the A4 is correctly installed in OB mode it should show “Analog Four” and “Analog four ***midi” in the device manager correct?
I think my windows driver store might be damaged, as the first time the A4 was detected as 1 device, but with an exclamation mark in OB mode.
When I deleted that device I also checked the box to delete the driver.
Is there any way to repair my windows driver store? So the driver is linked back correctly to the correct VENDid?

have you tried a system restore up to a point where the A4 was once recognized?

last idea i have would be to start windows in safe mode and remove every driver related to elektron or overbridge completely (even the ones that work for the rytm).

you reboot in safe mode by holding SHIFT and clicking on “restart”. either from the login prompt or directly within windows.

System restore, good thinking batman!
I’ll try that, otherwise I might need to re-initialize Win10
It’s not too much work as Cubase and WL are installed in 10mins and I’ve got backups of my system preferences folders.

System restore did the trick
either me ticking the remove driver box, or Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176934) was the problem. Anyhow it works now! ThnX

1 Like

ive heard some recent windows updates are fucking with some USB devices

glad i could help you out :wink: im not working with OB on my PC anymore - thanks to similar problems. seems that windows is just not the host for OB long term. on my old macbook everything works like a charme - no hassle and that matters most for me

Now there is no sound in overbridge with both connected (though both different usb controller chip) probably need an Overhub?

so the aniversary update (redstone) introduced problems with USB webcams because MS decided to banish all codecs except YUY2 encoding

i replicated the issue here, which is why i researched it - the workaround was just to use another peice of webcam software that was more low-level and simplistic - but there is no other “overbridge” software besides overbridge

its possible they also limited some other USB streaming (audio for example) or something along those lines… I dont use overbridge nor do I use win10 on my dedicated music PC, so I cant verify anything for you there

this is all speculation - it almost assuredly has to do with your particular setup and your particular background apps or other USB devices

for example I have a MAudio Delta 1010 in my win10 machine (very old soundcard) and it still works, however I was chopping samples in ableton and had a webbrowser open already, which caused the ASIO driver to drop from ableton at startup - and it would never reconnect until I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it… since then its been ok and hasnt done that again

its just sloppy coding going on somewhere, but that is complicated by the fact that win10 doesnt play nice with plenty of apps and background stuff already

if you can afford to reinstall from scratch, from the ground up - thats your nuclear option - it should work ok after that… then you can slowly re-add your apps and so forth and keep testing and if it breaks again you may have more insight into what happened

System runs fine now, I will order an Overhub to test OB, I don’t think my system will run better after a full reset. As it’s current, minimalistic and has no other issues.

Its not about making it “run better”, it was an indication of a possible fix for what you described earlier:

If you got that working then I guess you are all set. Perhaps the issue was just user error all along.

I had this issue after a windows reinstall. In my case the A4 was in Overbridge mode with no installed overbridge. When I set it to usb midi only, it seems to work.