Mute via Midi, all 8 tracks on one Midi Channel?

Hi there,

There is multiple ways for me to sort this out, including switching patterns via midi, but I am wondering if there is a way to have all 8 audio track Mute CC’s on one channel. So for instance Pattern Mute is CC 110, but Id like to have access to all 8 of these parameters from Midi channel 16. Is this doable?

Thanks!

It you set all eight channels to same midi channel from settings > midi > channels you’re able to control all of these at once.

2 Likes

Would I maintain separate control of each track mute setting?

Maybe another approach, if you want both individual track mutes, and every track, controlled remotely, would be to use the Pattern Volume cc, on the FX receive midi channel for the mute all.

I haven’t tried this to confirm, but I’m assuming that if you’re talking about maintaining 8 individual track global mutes from internal and the “mute all” pattern mutes via your 1 track of midi, then it probably works.

I think that if you try to do it with all green or all purple (midi and internal being set to the same mute family) anything you currently have muted on an individual basis will unmute itself when you hit the midi track configured to control the “mute all” while all currently unmuted will fall silent as intended. So that’s not what you want.

I’m guessing that this is the case because the nature of mutes is an on or off state with the same control, also that the CC used for mute (94 global / 110 pattern) is not accompanied by an unmute CC, so it’s likely acting as an on / off switch for the affected track’s audio.

If you try it and it works differently then great, but I think that this will be the result.

Thanks for all the input! Basically I’m trying to have 8 individual mute ccs on one midi channel, so I can mute and unmute the individual tracks from another sequencer. I don’t need a global mute all, but I’m using 8 channels on my sequencer just to have the mute midi cc knob for each digitakt track, and nothing else.

Your sequencer can only be assigned one midi channel number at a time per channel you’ve tasked with controlling mutes, and each digitakt track will require it’s own unique midi channel number to successfully be individually muted.

So, from your external sequencer you would have to assign the correct midi channel number to match the individual digitakt midi channel of the track you want to mute, then if you wanted to do another one you’d have to change the sequencer channel to match that track, then in order to disable the first mute you’d have to change back to the first midi channel.

That’s how you would control all mutes individually from one sequencer channel. The other solutions proposed suppose that you want to mute all at once from one sequencer channel, that is setting all tracks to the same midi channel and then sending one command from your external sequencer to mute, and then sending it again to unmute, it affects all channels at once.

Ok great! I will accomplish this task another way, thank you everyone for chiming in.