Mutable Instruments - Open source code rewritten for Organelle

Granted the Organelle doesn’t have CV control, but using PD you can add as many modulation sources as you want with the front panel controls attenuating or controlling these. Or use MIDI LFOs (from the Digitakt for example).

1 Like

Don’t have a clue about inner workings and software of the Organelle or Mutable, but seeing as they are both digital and run on software, something sonically similar could be theoretically possible I would have thought?
Again, don’t have a clue, just curious as I have owned all the Mutable modules mentioned except Elements, and am interested in what this little gadget can do similar to these great modules.
Now where’s the demos :grin:

1 Like

In fact one of the patches already features Braids Cross Modulated with Warps. You can modulate Elements with audio in. I’m using CC’s from my octatrack to modulate values in the patches at the moment, but there’s nothing to say you couldn’t have some controllable automation of these parameters from within the patch.
Seeing as an organelle costs about as much as one of these modules - i’m damn excited. Even if they are not exactly the same as the mutables patches, is that so terrible? They sound great regardless.

1 Like

Already available in the very wonderful €65 Axoloti … of which I have 3 and sadly no time to tinker with!

3 Likes

Same guy who wrote them for Axoloti is on it with Organelle now :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi …

as the author of these… first can I say these are only possible due to the huge generosity of Olivier at Mutable Instruments, in making his source code open source - I think its very important to recognise this. a huge thank you for this.

as mentioned by @mokomo , I was also also responsible for bringing some of these modules to Axoloti, Johannes and I shared the effort, I concentrated mainly on Elements and Clouds :slight_smile:

In time I will also be making these externals available on PC/Mac, and also Bela/rPi, and open sourcing, with help files etc. at the moment, Ive held back, to focus on getting the dev done and also while I ‘refine’ the interface.

I have to say I do enjoy them on Organelle, as its nice to develop ‘full patches’ for use, whilst Axoloti I also really enjoy, as it promotes a more modular/patch it yourself mentality… so both have a great place.

Ive a couple of Axoloti, one of which almost permanently runs clouds and some midi ‘utilities’, this is now often connect to my Organelle (which I only got a couple of weeks back)

so on to some points raised:

• Modulation
    the heart of the patches Ive released are a set of pure data externals, so you can build your own patches with whatever modulation you require, PD is after all a ‘digital modular’ … so these are at least as flexible as the eurorack , and in many ways more… as you don’t have physical limitations, and sometimes more options from the underlying code are exposed :wink:

• "Sonically similar’
    yes, this is a good way to put it… at the heart the code is identical to the eurorack modules (at least on ARM)… however the hardware does come into it. the eurorack module use a particular chip (stm32f4 often), which is limited in power but is 100% dedicated to that task. Axoloti is closest to this but not identical (since often you want to run other code too) , Bela is quite close as it also have real time and tiny audio buffers - and then other platforms tend to be larger buffers. Also the native sample rate can different (depending on MI module, as they are each different)
    of course, though, the proof is in the sound… and on all platforms Ive found them pretty good, perhaps with some small limitations on some platforms.
    so yes they are sonically similar, but I would not claim identical

of course, I also hope, for those lucky enough to have a eurorack system, if you use these modules, then perhaps you will be encouraged to buy the MI eurorack modules, perhaps it’ll even convince a few to get into eurorack :slight_smile:

14 Likes

That is actually something I want to work on … I’ve been so busy getting the basic patches/externals all developed, not left a lot of time for music with my new organelle.
but now the first pass of this is done, I’m going to flip over to a more musical focus for a few weeks… I also need to prepare for an musical event in a few weeks, so another good excuse :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the info. It does sound pretty cool.
Now I’m going to finally have to have a harder look at this Axoloti thing also I guess.
Heard it’s sort of like a Nord Micro Mod? One of my favourite synths
Any videos or audio of the Mutable Axoloti stuff floating around?

I’m recording a few examples of sounds right now :slight_smile:

Awesome! Would be amazing to have these as a VST one day :wink:

Ive done a couple (not as many as I should have by now ;)) on with MI on Axoloti.

this one is basically braids, clouds… I think elements (but cant remember for sure)
all done on the axoloti, I’m just using ableton for midi sequence launching.

I also did this one with clouds whilst I was figuring out the bastl kastle, more ‘experimental’ … but shows off a bit more mangling possibilities

but I do need to do some better ones… Ive been getting some nice stuff from the organelle, in the last few days

oh, and someone else did some great examples with the Linnstrument, mainly using Braids/Elements and rings reverb (IIRC - I may be wrong, been a while since i looked at the patches) . patches are available on the community library, so free for use , and to take and explore.

6 Likes

This may be a dumb question, but which sounds better between the Axoloti and Organelle versions? Is there a meaningful difference?

honestly theres probably not a lot in it, they are a bit hard to compare though, as whilst the MI code is the same, the patches running on them are different… so they highlight different things.

really choosing between Axoloti/Bela/Organelle … is more down to what you want…
Axoloti/Bela are lower latency, better for building your instrument and are ‘bare boards’
Whilst Organelle is a complete finished instrument, so you can use without patching.
(and of course the price are not similar either!)

I also personally prefer the Axoloti patcher over Pure Data (PD) , I think its got a more ‘musical focus’ (like the nord modular) … a bit like the difference between Reaktor and Max - but others will disagree or just like the familiarity of PD, and I am slowly starting to get to like PD a bit more now (really disliked it initially ;))

i will say though, Ive been surprised at how much Ive enjoyed the immediacy of the Organelle, much more than I anticipated… I was a bit skeptical before I got it, thinking Axoloti/Bela already covered the same ground, but now Im really glad I got it.

4 Likes

Fantastic what you’re doing, and I agree, big thanks go to Olivier for making the code open source. Been a huge fan since my Bhajis Loops days.

I love the idea of diving deep into PD / Organelle but my attention span can be somewhat limited and I’d need to learn PD from scratch! Love that you can just stick a load of user patches on there and work through them though. Do you think getting an Organelle and not diving into creating your own patches is a bit of a waste?

I’m crap at PD, never made a proper patch - still my favourite instrument. I just leech off amazing people like @thetechnobear :smiley:
Just spent the last two hours faffing around with camera, setting things up and recording audio and video. Now I have to figure out how to get my crappy laptop to do something with it all. Work in progress…

3 Likes

I don’t think so, I initially got interested in the Organelle because I thought C&G would create pretty cool patches, ( they have a really good rep with things like the pocket piano)… and they have, as have the community. I also think the patches out there are really varied… lots of really creative stuff.

I guess, the only thing you lose, is you are dependent on others pursing the the direction you want to go… so you could checkout all the patches, see if they interest you… though I think sometimes, the variety, and fun, in this patches doesn’t really come across in videos.
of course the great thing about organelle , and others, is that the c&g and the community can continue to grow it, in different directions.

also a bit of tinkering of PD can also get you a long way, if you get some spare time/capacity :wink:

1 Like

I have used clds and lmnts , they are both terrific, hats off to you @thetechnobear and Olivier for open sourcing these codes to the public.

Both expand the efx functionality of my C&G Organelle tremendously.

1 Like

That linnstrument demo is really good
The physical modelling stuff sounds great

Can you buy a prefabed Axoloti in a controller box, something I guess like the Organelle hardware?
How are people generally using the Axoloti hardware? Building their own boxes?
The Organelle seems much more practical as is with its standard synth like hardware interface?

People make their own enclosures for Axoloti, anything from cardboard boxes to laser cut enclosures. ( a whiole thread on it on Axoloti.com)
Similarly for controlling many use midi, others solder pots/switches.

It’s really a makers platform, make it into what you want - and it is very easy.
(Bela is similar in this regard)

So, yes, if you want a finished box, then organelle is the answer.

Neither is ‘better’ just different takes, different markets.

If someone started producing an enclosure with controls for Axoloti (which they could) , you’d probably be surprised at the cost. id guess circa $150-200, plus another $90 for Axo.

2 Likes