Mutable Instruments Beads

do you think? I watched a few demos today and none were convincing in my eyes… lost the lust for buying it actually

I’m confused, I have a Blades on order since early January, and today I just walked into the store and bought a Beads - no pre-order, no teasers, just in store pick up a day after announcement… looking forward to a night with tones

2 Likes

Luck of the draw. Well done. :+1:t6:
Buy a lottery ticket today.

2 Likes

I know nothing about modular, so if I wanted just Beads, like I’d want any separate fx unit, can that happen? Or do I need ten extra modules just to get any module working ?

I realise I want just Beads.

Case with power is the minimum. And beads is possibly one of the most standalone devices in euro, but I’d consider lfo’s, envelopes and a sequencer/MIDI2CV module. None of these is absolutely necessary.

Oh and you’d want to look at the max gain of the Beads, to get line level signal to modular levels.

6 Likes

https://4mscompany.com/pods.php
one of those and some sort of audio out module that brings your levels down to line level and bob’s your uncle… ( i only read that the level for audio in can be boosted, yet to find that knob or the corresponding section in the manual)

2 Likes

Haha just asking the question and reading your replies made me go, “Well, if I decide to take that route, maybe just adding this and that and … oh, okay.”

So yeah. Even if I got just Beads, I have a feeling that’s like having just one cigarette.

2 Likes

It would be like kind of building your own fx unit, tho, wouldn’t it?

Tempting …

4MS SWN impressed me as a possible stand-alone module. Actually its own 6 Osc + 6 LFO makes it a perfect companion for clouds/beads and an output module like the Befaco out.
These three modules and you’re set for a wide range.

2 Likes

Yep. Yes, Euro is expensive. But the hands on, customizable potential is worth it imo. And Beads is a hell of package in 14HP.

Yeah… I mean, then you’ve bought the pack and it’s just sitting there. This is an accurate analogy

go get a fancy lighter, nice ashtray, sweet armchair… and a rug to tie the room together?

4 Likes

Before you know it, you’re sitting in your smoking lounge, looking at the golden monogram emblazoned on your smoking jacket, going “what the f**k have I done”

EDIT: But yeah seriously… A lot of banter about eurorack being ‘addictive’, but there are no hard and fast rules that state you can’t make a very awesome little skiff. It’s just very much fun, so the case tends to get bigger.

4 Likes

My Beads is shipping today! But also waiting for the Blades since December 2020… third on the waiting list now :see_no_evil:.

I will have them in a 104HP case together with the ES-9, going to be fun getting bitwig modulating the lot while the OT is going to be master clocking bitwig. I have the feeling 2021 is going to be fun after all :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Sounds good to me, but YMMV. The reverb and the lo-fi modes seem to have a nice dark flavour that I’m really keen to play with.

I don’t find the reverb to be dark…not like Mimeophons. I think the dark tones are the material that its processing, which is easy on the lower sound settings. I’d say it’s very neutral; clear. Like a large wet cavern…even approaching concert hall. . At lower settings is wonderfully “invisible”. It’s a really, really good reverb.

1 Like

Just get a small case and limit yourself to what it can hold.

A little 48HP case.

• 4ms Row Power
  • Make Noise Rosie
  • MI - Beads

And whatever is left fill that with something fun. Disting perhaps? With 18HP left :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now we’re talking. See, this is the kind of constraint I’d actually consider a benefit. A little custom fx box based on refining something that I feel is already working. But perhaps could be even more interesting, if I go exploring into such territory.

That nice looking box there with wooden panels … where do I get one of those? I only find plastic and iron clad stuff when I search for cases to hold modular.

I won’t go through with this if I can’t get my wooden end cheeks.

1 Like

I’d do this :slight_smile:

Pittsburg made little cases with the wood like that. You could save HP and get a powered case. See that’s where the SHIT comes in. The case I originally posted for you came in 48HP. But the one I posted here needed 50HP. Once you fall into that trap…yer fucked :grimacing:

4 Likes