Must see video's for the Dirtywave M8?

Looking for more tips beyond the Discord Meetup videos?

Check Avrilcadabra’s channel, especially her M8trix series. One highlight is her video on tables:

Digiphex has also done a few technique videos, like this one on AFX acid:

And @impbox has some nice tutorials on chords and an intro to FM:

And here’s a longer playlist someone on the discord made of M8 tutorial/technique videos:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL__-2CG-b0IUE2o39D_Juy7wmNK2HreNe

10 Likes

This is one of the best track made with the M8 I’ve heard, essential vid, @Ess’ god mode :

9 Likes

One more spam: the timestretch trick

(It’s not proper timestretching ofc, but it works fine for drums)

6 Likes

…congrats…u purchased the sexiest pocket tracker out there…

it takes a few “minutes” to get used to the workflow and to wrap ut head around it…but once u got it, u’ll never gonna let it go…especially whenever ur on the go…

the only other elektron like truu klak klak zak zak hw device out there…but with realworld super versatile sonic super powers in pocketsize…

5 Likes

Shameless plug for the rest of my tutorial series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl-DKw7pTbZjkUlLoWa47nHgbw4wI1ILg

13 Likes

Already watched episode #1: :gift_heart:

2 Likes

Also these two, it’s really interesting to see live performances with the M8, it might be a little overlooked but you can really perform with it, especially with the Live Mode :

And also the only (I think so ?) track made by Eprom with the M8, a thing of beauty, and so much to learn just by listening to it :

4 Likes

Can’t recommend enough getting a teensy and a cheap number pad to start learning. The fact that you can use the software before receiving the hardware device is incredible. I’ve been digging in every night for a couple of hours since I preordered three weeks ago and it has been time well spent.

5 Likes

I thought this was a good video for use cases of Tables in M8:

It covers a few details on tables that aren’t really in the manual. For example, the fact they trigger every time the instrument is triggered – this is easy to learn by just playing with tables, but it’s also nice to have some confirmation on what the behavior is intended to be. Plus there are some cool creative ideas in there, like using a table for “granular” sample playback :slight_smile:

Honestly Tables are incredibly powerful and easily my favorite feature of the M8. After using the M8 a but, I wish Renoise had tables.

I keep meaning to check out the rest of these meetup videos. They’re long, but I’m sure there’s great info on all of them.

3 Likes

The good ol’ LFO to sample start time stretch trick! Great for breakbeats

1 Like

Phrases can be used in a similar way.

1 Like

Gonna look into that!

1 Like

Seriously – it’s amazing. You can start learning the device before it arrives. And there is a lot to learn!

I am so thankful that @trash80 made it available! I plan to give my teensy and number pad away to pay it forward, once I receive my m8 unit. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Watching the official M8 discord meetup videos can feel little bit boring at times, but they probably have given me the most useful insights on how to make better tracks. For the most part, the meetups correspond to a new firmware version or set of features being released, and have a demo of all the new stuff, some discussion, and then some community tracks. Watching all of them back-to-back is great for understading how various features over time have developed, some unique ways to use them, etc. Not to mention you’ll get to see just how much this device has changed over its relatively short life. Tons of new features all the time! The only downside is that some of the older meetups now have irrelevant info in them for the latest firmware. The community bundles/tracks showcased at the end of meetups are awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sort of. I prefer the way tables work though. Don’t get me wrong, I was very excited when they added phrases to Renoise and I use them a lot, but tables are more powerful in a way

Hope it’s ok i ask here. A question i can’t find a answer for: when you push play on a pattern on a polyend tracker you always see what is playing in pattern view. It scrolls through automatically. On the m8 i need to scroll manually to follow the playhead through the phrases. Can i change that on the m8?

2 Likes

You might have better luck with questions in the main M8 Tracker thread

But as of right now, there is no autoscrolling. There is an arrow that follows chains in song view and phrases in chain view

1 Like

Hey. Yeah figured it was the wrong thread, sorry about that. Thanks for your answer and for pointing me in the right direction :slight_smile: and of course it’s called auto scrolling!