Music that makes you cry

Here’s a fun topic idea.

Which piece of music, without fail, will have you shed at least a single tear ?

Here’s one of mine:

32 Likes

There’s so many.

But Some Die Young, by Laleh. For many reasons.

5 Likes

Often brings tears to my eyes.
A direct line to beauty.

10 Likes

it’s better to understand russian language for this song, and have some history background about Stalin’s epoch, but this song really moves me to tears almost every time.

2 Likes

“Back On The Chain Gang”, by the Pretenders. No link, you can find it, I won’t be able to type.

“Wig In A Box”, from the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack, but not reliably.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Goosebumps. Wonderful.

1 Like
10 Likes

This one always manages to give me a good punch in the feelings

Edit:

So does this one, always gets me.

13 Likes

the part with the backpack…

11 Likes

Bit obvious I know but this gets me every time :smiley:

8 Likes
4 Likes
18 Likes

I cry, I laugh, I see beyond space/time etc,

6 Likes

Emotions I have while listening to music have changed while getting older. For example: in my teens I could really get emotional listening to Morrissey/The Smiths. Still like that music, but now I sometimes think: stop whining! :smile:

Phoebe Bridgers is someone who can give me goosebumps. (appropriate song title)

Johnny Bramwell/I Am Kloot, especially when I’m intoxicated.

7 Likes

Apart from my own music and the impending disappointment… this has got me a few times emotionally;

3 Likes

Saw Ladysmith Black Mambazo about 20 years ago, and it was so beautiful and soulful that halfway through their show tears of serenity began to roll down my cheeks.

This song doesn’t always make me cry, but if I’m in the right state of mind I’m balling by the end. I think it makes me remember all the good friends and times we had years ago, and that those days are gone, and everyone is older with kids, and many have moved on to other cities. No one tells you how sentimental you get as you get older.

Some gospel house track that I can’t remember. It was the last track on a friends mix and played just as the song was rising after a all night bender. Everything in that moment was simply perfect. A friend and me sat on top of the roof watching the sun rise over the Rincon mountains and this beautiful filtered 90s gospel house song came on and the tears started flowing.

12 Likes

Every time I hear this, I see if I can make it past the key change without tearing up. I have never succeeded. What this man has given to the world during his musical career is beyond compare…

10 Likes

These three songs carry a solid amount of vulnerability and sense of loss.

Thank you for the thread!

7 Likes

Interesting thread.

I have never been choked up by a song, but I can be by a performance. It’s rare though. Partly, I think it’s because I generally don’t listen to lyrics but hear vocals as instruments?? Not exactly sure.

I won’t link the video here because for what will be obvious reasons, but I’d like to share… based on the performance, and the raw surprise of it only… when I was younger and did my first deep dive on Marvin Gaye (early internet days, not like today) I stumbled on his national anthem performed at the 1983 NBA All Star game. 808 drum line, people clapping, whooping, hollering, smiles on the players faces watching this guy do his thing.

Talk about a moment in time that will likely never be repeated, for many reasons.

I also know the world value of this is not universal, even though I think Marvin could/should be.

3 Likes