Music Production School

http://www.infekted.org/virus/files/HowardScarr-VirusTutorial-ProgrammingAnalogueSynths.pdf

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking of taking a course after I finish my bachelors degree. But I would really carefully select which one and make sure there will be plenty 1 on 1 as I think thatā€™s where itā€™s at. Maybe Iā€™ll just skip the course and try to get a hook on an artist I think I would benefit from.

Good way to get to know people too I guess

1 Like

I think going to school to learn skills for music production alone is not a good idea. It is just really possible to dedicate a lot of time to teaching oneself nowadays, online. When you combine free online resources with learning on the job once you get gigs, I simply do not believe it is necessary or even in some cases very wise to go to school for learning this. Especially if it is a financial investment - not a good idea.

A lot of art schools (in music and other fields) are kind of scams that churn out half-baked artists at a much faster rate than the market can absorb. I do not think many of these degrees are taken seriously. I think mainly it would be the music conservatories, like Berklee, that come from a tradition where academia and the structure of degrees and courses have a history, reputation and make sense, that have depth, and offer a lot to the learner. I do not at all feel the same way about production schools or these small private ā€œacademies.ā€

In my opinion, going to school for music and sound is best for making specific connections with working people in the specific industry you want to break into, having institutional support for recording and releasing material or conceptualizing and producing performances, and having guaranteed accelerated access to a lot of expensive gear all at once. But this is not at all the same thing as skill development.

2 Likes

Mix With the Masters is like $350 for a year, and Iā€™ve heard really good things about it from the dudes on Six Figure Home Studio. If youā€™re willing to spend a lot of money on synths, plugins, etc., itā€™s worth considering spending the same money on your own education/skillset.

1 Like

I used to teach music production for sonic academy before they became an online tutorial company.

Not degree level but gcse and btec level going into schools offering alternatives to their traditional music qualifications. Kids loved it and so did I. Always been dubious about 1000s for some of the degree courses though. If I was to though I think Iā€™d do one in audio engineering and sound production for TV and film.

1 Like

Yesā€¦ I am also not so interested in having a paper to hang on the wall for the sake of it.

I am looking into SAE here in Berlin at the momentā€¦ if I check out the study paths they offer I tend to like the Digital film production curriculum the most.

1 Like

Also helps that Berlin is such a cool place for audio visual arts currently. That course would be great

1 Like

well, maybe the comparison is not correct, but ā€¦
you can learn playing an instrument just with online lessons, but attending those obsolete mid-ages style offline lessons is way more effective.

1 Like

Yes I think so too, I am not so interested in being part of an art scene. Most interested in learning from experienced folks without an attitude.

1 Like

Yea, itā€™s just a lot more focused!

Yes, I agree that when learning instrumentation it is helpful to learn in person, such as at a music conservatory. Those schools have a long history and a social relevance for learners that is different than the short, strange histories of these small academies and made-up certification programsā€¦

But of course, Iā€™m not suggesting everyone should go to conservatory, just that education systems have social contexts and some of those smaller schools are a little sus. Would look into who is teaching there and who has gone there.

Helps if you think of it like art school. Could prolly pick up the technical skills online for a helluva lot cheaper but the real value comes from being able to immerse yourself in an insanely creative culture where everyone feeds off each otherā€™s energy and pushes each other to greater heights. Or at least thatā€™s what it was like for me.

1 Like

Many places on the web indicate SAE is a scam, an empty money pit.

1 Like

I think the irony of places like SAE is that they appeal to (and are marketed to) school leavers, who have unrealistic ideas about the industry and donā€™t have the contextual knowledge to know what and how they should be learning. They tend to mess about without really knowing what they want. The people who could really use access to quality studios, a year dedicated to creative/audio work, access to expertise and networking with peersā€” are mid-career artists, who are unlikely to choose such a course (because they donā€™t want to mess around with a bunch of aimless teenagersā€¦)

1 Like

Indeed, I donā€™t feel the need to get involved anymore. I am looking elsewhere.