Music May 2024

Howdy friends, I am starting this thread for my attempt at a Christmas in July type situation. I got Jamuary in May right here.

Last Jamuary was a great way for me to reorganize my routines and get myself set on a productive path musically as well as in my personal life. I quit nicotine for the first time in 12 years and it last a good four months. But unfortunately I got back into the unproductive habit of smoking tobacco and I would like to use this Music May to help redirect my focus while I quit once again.

Starting off with a warm up I made this morning on the ep133. Aiming to give myself more room to produce more openly and outside of my normal structures.

The goal is to post a piece of music each day!

Come along for this spring cleaning of the soul

15 Likes

well, failed at the tobacco side of this whole deal, but that also happened on the first day of the last quitting cycle so im not worried yet. really highlights how important my mornings are in setting me up for a successful day. its really easy to make excuses bright and early!

but i still got a tune here, spent my lunch break working on it instead of smoking so that was a win.

11 Likes

Making music is hard. Quitting smoking is even harder! I’m here to give an hug and supporting in both issues!

Fortunately you seem to having much more success at making good music than not smoking, but I’m sure with time you will achieve the second as well!

For the record I managed to quit smoking about 7 years ago after 15 of the habit. As for making decent music the jury is still out on that one ha!

Keep on the good path man!

7 Likes

sbb, your music is nothing like what I usually listen to but I always enjoy it when I hear it. It’s exuberant in the best way. I’ll be following along for sure, and good luck on the cold turkey.

1 Like

@AMBello for real! i have been trying to shift my perspectives by saying that it is simply very easy to make excuses, once i stop making excuses for myself the difficulty decreases significantly. unfortunately, i woke up today with a messed up back and yet again, caved and smoked. but i am attempting to take the “weaning off” approach even though i failed this morning. gonna do my best to quit with the excuses for the rest of the day and make some cool music! and thanks for the kind words friend

@thejewk thank you very much friend! i really appreciate that, exuberant is a wonderful description to hear. thanks for following along!

im out of work today with this busted back so i decided to treat myself to a volca fm2. gonna go pick it up in a few hours and play around for todays tune

If I didn’t have a PreenFM2 for my FM needs, I’d have grabbed a VFM2 without a doubt. As a preset box for the million DX7 patches it can’t be beaten for the price.

there were two preenFM2s sitting at patchwerks for the longest time and they peaked my interest many times, feels like i shoulda locked one of them down!

If you don’t mind the work of making your own FM patches, they are superb devices for the money!

made a short loop on the volca fm2 and used it as the base level for this tune. havent dove through all the dexed patch libraries yet but i do enjoy the classic sounds of the presets on here. also realized the tune was the same bpm as a birdman and juvenile track me and my gf really like so i used one of those ai stem splitters to grab the accapella, it worked pretty well!

2 Likes

still failing miserably with the tobacco. not too surprised, im really not trying that hard. i have been steadily adjusting other habits tho, didnt spend any time yesterday lounging around watching videos even though i was off work. so those are steps in the right direction

but! the music is still coming along. started another tune last night, gonna keep working on it today. should have it done around my lunch time

2 Likes

im liking todays a bit more than the others so far! nice and bouncy, got some fun out bumping it in the car. dont have any plans for tonight so i may bust out another

2 Likes

got another fun one today. started it late last night and finished it up just now. having lots of fun sampling the volca fm2, i really didnt give it nearly enough of a chance the last time i had one. i like the drums and bass the most here, bouncy and fun. still a slave to nicotine, we’ll see if the excuses continue.

3 Likes

ended up with two today! fine with getting ahead of the curve, im glad that the drive keeps driving. i made 3.5lbs of granola today and cleaned my entire apartment real good

1 Like

spent yesterday working with my dad and then hanging with my girlfriend and didnt get to recording anything, but thats why i got that extra tune B)

tobacco is still a failure. accepting that i just need to try something different and its not happening how it happened last time. gonna try a different method to break some habits

tonights is fun, all the synths are sampled from the volca fm2. these sounds are really inspiring for me and i think its gonna stick around. may even go wild and try to learn synthesis on this little weirdo

1 Like

got a different one today. made a perc loop on the ep133 and sampled it into the 404’s looper. used my casio and my harmonica on top. feels kinda like a drunk open mic song at a brewery

Congrats on not smoking. I’m 4 months in too and for now pretty solid. It’s hard but it can be done!

1 Like

well, unfortunately im stumbling and not succeeding. still working on it though, not giving up on giving up yet!

todays is less usual for me, more of a meandering 404 fx bath on a loop from the fm2. im trying to actually learn fm synthesis and i gotta say the volca’s approach is honestly not that complicated in terms of menu layout. sure youre scrolling with a small knob a whole lot but its helping me learn each of the parameters.

alrighty, making some kind of progress here. had a bit of a moment last night that is helping motivate me to make changes. im trying out a slow and steady approach by addressing the habits around my smoking habits first. so far today had a couple successes. heres hoping for more tomorrow.

this beat is dope tho. feels like a return to form. had a fun time making it and playing around with some fader automation i havent done before on the ep133. this one is groovy!

1 Like

i really like todays tune! started it off this morning before work and i was just gigging to an 8 bar loop for quite some time. brought the ep133 to work and had five one year olds dancing to it too, it was a fun time. the ep133’s speaker knocks loud enough to be heard in a preschool classroom! finished it up over at the homies house and some buddies were into it as well. always nice to hear some genuine interest from friends

1 Like