Munro Sonic Egg monitors

Please!

7 Likes
8 Likes

Are you aware of the fact that after the Egg, Chickens came?

Absolutely. They even come with Bluetooth.

1 Like

Hardware on Sale thread:

1 Like

Sold out.
Good thing.
Would have been seriously tempted.

3 Likes

I almost pressed the button as well. But don’t need them. But it was very tempting indeed.

1 Like

If you own 2, you’ll get an Egg for free :grin:

he says that the room treatment and placement are somewhat more important with these than conventional monitors, have any of you guys changed the way you placed yours?

great insight from the Egg man himself

2 Likes

I think @Fin25 has those monitors.

yeah he does, one of the things I found very interesting is that Munro said that these monitors sound the same from the back only quieter.

1 Like

3 Likes

:rofl: I don’t think that’s what Mr. Munro was referring to

They’ve got recessed LEDs on the front that you can only see at their brightest when you’re sat in the sweetspot, so setting them up is a piece of piss.

I don’t really understand all the physics behing it, but it’s noticeable to me how much less variation there is around the room. My room isn’t treated and my old KRKs had deadspots all over the room and little bass pockets here and there but with the Eggs I’ve noticed less of this. There’s still a very obvious sweet spot and I’m not saying that these are some sort of magic speakers, but with the KRKs I could move my head 6 inches and things would disappear, but that’s much less if an issue with the eggs. I guess it’s the fact that there’s no standing waves causing cancellation issues, but like I said, I’m no expert.

4 Likes

Other kind of pleasure…

I think they are pretty forgiving having a large sweet spot.

2 Likes

I’m rediscovering my entire music library through those eggs, which give me more pleasure than any dildo (or maybe an ear-dildo ?). The only thing that bothers me is the noticeable noise-floor of the amp which is pretty loud, especially with the EQ settings on - or 0 position. It’s like a white noise which is pretty audible in a quiet place. That’s the only con so far. Do any of you have the same issue ? I’d like to contact Mr Munro about it, but apparently he’s no more in business.

1 Like

That sounds really promising. I planned on getting decent or half-decent monitors this year. Kinda sick of mine… I can only find one store that has them in stock, though. Are they still being sold, or only available second hand?

Edit, found another dealer.

Hey man glad you’re enjoying them! Just to chime in and say that I’ve not experienced any noise issues at all with mine, mine are totally silent. How do you have them set up? Mine are connected to the monitor outs of my UAD Apllo 8 with TRS to XLR cables. I have my Apollo at 50% gain and regulate all change in volume via the Munro amp.

Have a look at your gain staging and make sure that’s set up alright (ie the signal hitting the amp is loud enough). If yhe problem persist, write to Gear4Music (i assume you bought it off the deal - you bought them with a 5 year warranty then) and also if you want to write mr Munro directly, you should be able to find support through his new company Sedgewall here:

H

EDIT: I’m really loving mine. I listened back to a few mixes of my own stuff and things we’ve produced through our label work in the past, especially stuff that I felt lacked something but couldn’t work out why (some of the material was professionally mixed and mastered)…and through the EGGs I noticed for the first time a quasi signature of one of the engineers we were using for several different releases across genres…it seems in all of the tracks he mixed for us, the panning is quite narrow and so the mids are busier and more “claustrophobic” sounding than they have to. Makes total sense because the engineer is one of those people who insist that 99% of music should be mixed in mono lol.
Also really love how these reproduce the high end, super revealing. Noticed on my own mixes that I either overdid the “air” factor or just plain out neglected the high end. These are encouraging and educational insights, so really happy so far.

2 Likes

thought it was a two year warranty, was it 5?