Multitracking with Ableton

Hi All,

Using Overbridge, I have successfully placed each track on the Digitakt into its own track in Ableton. Great. The ease at which it can be done is one of the main the reasons I will hang on the Digitakt. One thing that is giving me trouble is this.

Reverb and Delay is only audible when I have the Digitakt as an external instrument. However when I separate out each track by creating a new audio track in Ableton and choosing Audio from>Digitakt >Track# I can only hear the dry signal. It is however Audible from the MIDI track with Digitakt as an external instrument device. What I want though is each track separated.

Ineresting that changes to the filters is audible when each track is separated out, but not the reverb and delay.

havent done an exhaustive search online, but hoping someone here has any ideas why this is and a solution if there is one.

This is my second week with Digitakt. Was kinda apprehensive at first, now I won’t leave it alone!

1 Like

The FX are send FX, not track FX. This had been discussed at infinitum on this Forum. You might want to use the search function.

3 Likes

totally, thanks for pointing that out I will. :slight_smile:

You can simultaneously record the master track at the same time as your individual tracks. So, if you only send the FX to the master (there are settings for this somewhere, consult the manual for more info – I’m away from my DT right now), you can record the delay and reverb on a separate track and blend that track in Ableton at your preferred level. It’s not the greatest solution, tho, especially if you’re chopping things up and rearranging in Ableton. Otherwise, just add reverb and delay plugins on the individual tracks in Ableton.

3 Likes

That’s what I am mostly doing, creating 2 Return tracks in Ableton, Reverb and Delay, and then send the DT tracks to it where needed. Sometimes I put the EFX on every single track just because I want different delays or reverbs. You can even save the whole setup as a template and use it like that. While I am on it I also put an equalizer on each track and add around 6db gain. Other solution would be to edit the WAVs in an audio editor like Ocenaudio and normalize them as volume is quite low.

1 Like

Thanks!! and there it was, by searching a little deeper (not that deep) into the forum I found the answer staring at me. In case someone stumbles upon this one here it is…

On the DT go to:

• SETTINGS > AUDIO ROUTING > ROUTE TO MAIN

• TRK’s 1-8 will be lit GREEN when you have ROUTE selected (top menu item)

• press each track until they are lit RED and the display should now read 'ROUTE TO MAIN 2/10

In Ableton: (make sure you have OB installed)

• Create a MIDI track and drag in the Digitakt External Instrument. (this will be your FX monitoring channel)

• Create and Audio Track for each channel 1-8

• On each track: AUDIO FROM select Track 1-Digitak, Track 2-Digitakt…

• Group all the Audio channels in Ableton with the DT external instrument as the container

TIP: To have the ability to record the FX monitoring, send the external instrument Audio to a separate Channel in Ableton.

I’m practicing working and creating with limitations and using Ableton mostly for recording right now while I ‘sink’ deeper into modular. However the DT has reignited my love of beatmaking…beyond the learning curve is endless fun!!

thanks and be happy!

Thanks, that totally works for now. Trying to just use Ableton for recording, as I tend to get to lost in plug in world when adding FX to drum racks. I appreciate the DT’s limitations and how easily it syncs up with Ableton through OB. I am enjoying again having a dedicated machine for beatmaking duties…Im from an old old school and also just getting into modular as well, so having a drum machine/sampler again is super fun for me right now. Loving the Digitakt.

3 Likes

You saved my life :slight_smile: