Multimap feature: how does it work?

if i play it from an external controller?

i realize now, I’m somewhat off topic here

i thought so, if you want to play the internal sounds. But Im not quite sure and cant test it at the moment. Give it a try. And maybe try another MIDI channel instead of 15.

1 Like

yes, you are right! - thank you, I would have not thought…
now I wonder what ‘external’ does and I get to scratch my head about these octave offsets now…

thanks all for your help!

1 Like

Yes, int trigs if you want to control DN sounds.
Ext let you split the keyboard and control external devices with different notes ranges, midi channels…

3 Likes

right- makes sense (now) - ext is for digitone KEYS users…

I have to say (being way late to the party). the multimap is a killer addition. I am assuming that the pattern mode works like the one the MD - which is something I haven been after for a while on any other device.

1 Like

Not only, any external midi notes can be used, or DN midi tracks with midi loopback.

Yes but no GATE feature (pattern stopped with notes off) compared to MD. Imho everything else is better.

A4/AK also have Multi Map, probably the best, with additional Pattern Direct Jump and Transpose features compared to DN.

2 Likes

oh cool, yes of course! this could be of use with the new MPC update

guess I have to just try it. You’d figure by being home all bloody day one would have more time for these things. The gate feature however is the coolest part and I would have thought that means Pattern Direct Jump by definition. 'spose it doesn’t

I guess a silent pattern can do the trick. Play the note corresponding to a silent pattern to stop current pattern.

It change patterns keeping pattern reading postion : it plays next step, not the beginning (DIrect Start).

now I wish i had this ! :troll: :3lektron:

thanks for your insight!

1 Like

This helped me immensely too. There was a bit of a puzzle in that I thought that the note ranges for the keymap (range low/high) would 1:1 map with the octave settings from the respective sounds. For example, a sound that is set to where I want it pitch-wise to C4 on the individual sound may have to be transposed with the note setting here in the map.

it’s simple once you figure it out.

Also, as others may have pointed out, it works more like trig-locking: If you have a snare that has a longer decay, any of the other sounds will truncate it, so it’s not QUITE as nice as it would be if you’re accustomed to sample-based machines.

So I got this working with an external controller, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to work via the DN’s keys.

Do I need to do the midi routing here?

The multimap works fine in its own menu, but I’m trying to figure out how to “assign” it to a track. It doesn’t seem to obey the track assignment on the map page, the orginal track settings seem to override this.

I suppose its because you play the same note, you could set note inc = 1

I really really think it is a shame that the DN is missing the Direct jump and Transpose functions in Multimap mode… They would really open up more live performance possibilities. Wonder why Elektron decided not to include them :thinking:

1 Like